Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Music

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th November 2012, 04:55 PM   #71
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sometimesuk View Post
Soundtrackmixer - I am not sure if your the same bloke on the Sound on Sound forum, who has decided to lock the thread, just because, one small aspect of my petition had the words 24 Bit - but you are coming across as very narrow minded.
I am not that bloke I guess how I am coming across is open to opinion right? I strongly support 24 bit because we can deliver it to you directly.

Quote:
There are two sides to the argument. I'm not interested in the technical debate, I just want the best quality sound, regardless.
Good. Stick with 24 bit in your petition..I support that.

Quote:
We should be working together, and just let those within the industry decided how to achieve it. Its already clear that different companies use different techniques, so why argue amongst yourselfs, when its clear that different techniques will be used depending on where the recording is made and mastered.
I have been working in the film and music business in Hollywood for 25 years, and I am going to tell you how to get high resolution music. A petition is not going to cut it, as many others over the years have tried it - and it failed to produce anything. If you want more high resolution music, you have to buy what is currently out there. You have to BUY IT! The record companies follow the MONEY, not a petition. How do you think we got down the rabbit hole with low resolution MP3? People BOUGHT it like crazy. How do you think Itunes became so popular? Because people BOUGHT the music by the millions. So if you REALLY want more high resolution music, you better start buying it now - that is the only petition the record executives will pay attention to. When they see the trend leaning towards high resolution music, they will support it for sure. So you may think I am narrow minded, and even a bit negative about this - but I know what I am talking about. Bluray.com put out a petition like this, it got close to 10,000 signatures. Guess what, we are not seeing any more high resolution music than before the petition. So let's keep it real, signatures = no answer. Money = more high resolution music. That's the bottom line.
Old 25th November 2012, 04:58 PM   #72
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
As technology changes, we see things like the DVD/Bluray combo pack. Obviously different resolutions and probably different masters for the two versions. No reason audio can't do the same, either by disc, or by download.
Actually Pano most Bluray and DVD's are cut from the same master. They are just encoded at different resolutions.
Old 25th November 2012, 05:53 PM   #73
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundtrackmixer View Post
I know what I am talking about. Bluray.com put out a petition like this, it got close to 10,000 signatures. Guess what, we are not seeing any more high resolution music than before the petition. So let's keep it real, signatures = no answer. Money = more high resolution music. That's the bottom line.
So basically I'm wasting my time and nothing well ever change unless people are forced to. Which basically supports what the blokes in the SOS forum were saying.
Old 25th November 2012, 06:44 PM   #74
diyAudio Member

That's the problem though, the music isnt out there in the first place!
Old 25th November 2012, 07:30 PM   #75
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
That's the problem though, the music isnt out there in the first place!
exactly, I would buy it every time if it was there instead of all this upsampled '32/352.4' crapola with brickwall sitting just about where the brickwall for 44.1 would be.... or '32/352.4' 'remasters' taken from tapes or vinyl masters that would be lucky to push 44.1. DSD that is not natively recorded DSD its just all ******** for double the price, thats why the trend is not positive. there is some good content, but its not the norm.
Old 25th November 2012, 07:52 PM   #76
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundtrackmixer View Post
Actually Pano most Bluray and DVD's are cut from the same master. They are just encoded at different resolutions.
Makes sense, especially for new releases in the combo packs. I often do this at work, down-convert HD video we've shot to DVD (480P) for clients. I don't do any real "mastering" tho.

Do you think there is no difference in the how the audio is mastered as well?

Anyway, I signed. Doesn't hurt to keep bugging them about it. And what the heck, I just got a catalog with the Beatles new re-releases on Vinyl. From the 24 bit masters, no less! Someone thought it was worthwhile.
Old 25th November 2012, 08:15 PM   #77
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

yep I bought the Dream Theatre 'Systematic Chaos 24/96 flac, the inception 24/96 soundtrack, the dark knight 24/192 (impressive, but brickwalled as hell), which is really disappointing and there is absolutely no excuse for it, the guy produces his stuff himself in his own multimillion dollar studio with one of the most insane custom production rigs ive ever seen and the biggest open cheque budgets... it really looks like he may even be working at 24/48.

but I went there (HDTRACKS) in the leadup to an audio meet (head-fi) with a couple hundred to spend and I honestly couldnt find that much I wanted to buy, particularly when ive seen a number of online examples of people who have opened the file in audacity or whatever and compared the 24/48 to the 24/192 and they are identical in every way except there is simply more space above the brickwall, yet they want to charge you another tenner....
Old 25th November 2012, 08:15 PM   #78
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Someone thought it was worthwhile
...to their pocketbook
Old 25th November 2012, 08:18 PM   #79
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

and that's the motivation, for those selling.
Old 25th November 2012, 10:53 PM   #80
diyAudio Member

Quote:
So basically I'm wasting my time and nothing well ever change unless people are forced to. Which basically supports what the blokes in the SOS forum were saying.
I hate to say it, but I am afraid so. Personally I think you need to rechannel the petition in a different direction. Instead of petitioning the record companies, petition the people who are interested in high resolution music. Tell them if they really want to get more high resolution music out there, buy more Blurays and downloads that have it. Ask them to support websites like HDtracks.com, and disc's by 2L, Surround records, and other producers and manufacturers of high definintion music on disc. Give them online resources for high resolution music on the internet. When sales improve for what is out there(and there is a lot out there), then you will see more releases. The releases flow where the money flows.

Hide this!Advertise here!