Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Music

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th November 2012, 07:21 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Rullknufs
Problem is not 16bit or 24bit or 48kHz vs 96/192kHz. 16bit sounds good enough, really, and 48kHz is high enough as well.
The problem is loudness war. Most of today's music is brickwall limited beyond recognition, unfortunately, and sound horrible. I think OP should give up on the 16bit vs 24bit thing and put all energy on the loudness war instead.
Old 20th November 2012, 07:34 PM   #12
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I agree, tho I'm not against 48/24. Anything higher is lost on me as a playback format. It's the over-compression that is so awful.
Old 20th November 2012, 08:54 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
I agree, tho I'm not against 48/24. Anything higher is lost on me as a playback format. It's the over-compression that is so awful.
+584628243

Lifeless music. A new term?
Old 21st November 2012, 06:24 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

I have been asked by a few people what my objective is with the petition and what I’m I going to do with it, for clarification my broad intentions are below. Bear in mind, it’s still very early days, which is why I intent to use the facebook group as a place to take on board peoples suggestions and advice.

Objective: To raise the issue of compression and availability of high quality downloads with major record labels and online retailers

When
: Once I / others (facebook group) believe that the petition has reached its peak, or has reached a number that I believe would warrant notice, ideally between 2000 – 3000 people.

How: By letter to each of the major record labels and online retailers. The letter would bring to their attention the petition and ask them to take into consideration our views and ask them for comments (future plans etc).

I plan on using the facebook group to communicate draft versions of any final letter, to accompany the petition letter for people to comment on and who to write to. I will them email all those who signed the petition before it gets sent for comment.
Old 21st November 2012, 06:48 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Default About time

This should have been done 20 years ago. Also, I agree we should be into 24 bit territory. If as one poster said 16 44.1 and 48 are okay then why have we got Blu Ray and 3D HD ready TV's? If 16 bits at 44100 is enough, would someone have said that 78rpm mono records with steel styli is good enough.

My understanding of Compression was for radio broadcast to help improve the sound of early car radio's and pocket transistor radio's and for outside broadcast, News for example, to help the microphone signal from the presenter, to help combat wind and traffic noise, whats necessary nowadays?

Thanks OP

Mike
Old 21st November 2012, 06:55 AM   #16
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rullknufs View Post
Problem is not 16bit or 24bit or 48kHz vs 96/192kHz. 16bit sounds good enough, really, and 48kHz is high enough as well.
The problem is loudness war. Most of today's music is brickwall limited beyond recognition, unfortunately, and sound horrible. I think OP should give up on the 16bit vs 24bit thing and put all energy on the loudness war instead.
no, I think 24bit is more realistic, the fight against the loudness wars requires you to also change all the backyard producers and artists habits, while most of them will already be supplying 24bit and even at the end before the mixdown it will be in 24bit, we just need to convince them to drop that last step, or rather change the settings in it at least for downloads.

24bit is much more important than high bandwidth IMO, especially since the vast majority of consumers and quite a few audiophiles are using digital attenuation, which works very well with 24bit, but 16bit not as well.

of course I would prefer they did both and went to at least 24/96, which is where some gear starts to actually go down hill performance-wise with increased samplerate
Old 21st November 2012, 06:59 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to yagoolar Send a message via Skype™ to yagoolar
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooge View Post
I was just going to make a post and saw this thread. I am looking for some recommendations for uncompressed music samples, preferably freely downloadable samples for now. I'm just looking for some samples right now, preferably in HiRez. I just want to hear what uncompressed sounds like.
There is actually quite a lot if you start searching the Net.
Good start is e.g.
http://hifiduino.wordpress.com/free-hi-res-music/ and archive.org.
I found Nine Inch Nails band shares their album free www.nin.com
Old 21st November 2012, 08:57 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
.... just need to convince them to drop that last step, or rather change the settings in it at least for downloads.

24bit is much more important than high bandwidth IMO, especially since the vast majority of consumers and quite a few audiophiles are using digital attenuation, which works very well with 24bit, but 16bit not as well.

of course I would prefer they did both and went to at least 24/96, which is where some gear starts to actually go down hill performance-wise with increased samplerate
I agree on compatibility, and that 24bit is important, samplerate not so much.

On most electronic music, and in many cases "proper" music, the compression is added at the making or recording of the tune. This requires a change throughout the entire music industry. Mastering with no compression takes more time, you need to be very careful about the adjustments you make, and you need to go through the tune several times over to get a decent end result.
Old 21st November 2012, 10:11 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Mastering with no compression takes more time, you need to be very careful about the adjustments you make, and you need to go through the tune several times over to get a decent end result.
So be it, I'd pay more 's for my albums
Old 21st November 2012, 10:21 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

I'd just like to be able to pay for and download CD quality or higher music (FLAC). I don't want to own a CD, I'd rather not have the clutter since it will just be ripped onto a music server and then stored as junk. iTunes music is too lossy for a reference system. HD music download sites don't have much of the music I want.

Despite wanting to pay for music, and contribute towards the artists efforts, I often have no choice but to buy clutter (a CD) and go through the effort of ripping, or download illegally (easily, quickly and for free).

Hide this!Advertise here!