Fidelity - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Music

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd July 2012, 02:26 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Fidelity

Got a reality check this week: medium size church, full of well dressed folks, a pipe organ, a trumpet, a tenor, doing Bach and Handel. No mike, no amp, no speakers. I was on axis with the horn. Reality=Fidelity. Now back to my hobby.
Old 22nd July 2012, 03:24 AM   #2
fas42 is online now fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phivates View Post
Got a reality check this week: medium size church, full of well dressed folks, a pipe organ, a trumpet, a tenor, doing Bach and Handel. No mike, no amp, no speakers. I was on axis with the horn. Reality=Fidelity. Now back to my hobby.
Good. You've now got an excellent reference marker, so your mission, should you choose to accept it , is to replicate that sensation, that experience. It is possible ...

Frank
Old 22nd July 2012, 08:01 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas42 View Post
It is possible ...

Frank
Are you sure?

I wouldn't expect current speaker technologies (most of which revolves around waving bits of paper around with magnetic fields) to come close.

Electrostatics might do better, but even so. Current speaker technology has velocity (instead of position) control over the cone. Its like going from Xbox gaming to PC gaming.

Chris
Old 22nd July 2012, 04:56 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Got a reality check this week: Reality=Fidelity.
Many years ago I was at a hotel in State Collage Pennsylvania, There was a three piece ensemble in the main lobby during a summer art festival. Violins and clarinet. I was amazed at the richness and depth of sound with all the overtones and fullness of those three instruments playing in a real space.

As a long time member of the NJ Audio Society I've been exposed to many high-end and highly refined systems. But none of them has ever reproduced the live fullness of sound I heard that afternoon. Not even Ralph Glasgal's megabuck ambiophonic system.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ralph's 2nd fl.jpg (289.5 KB, 78 views)
Old 22nd July 2012, 11:42 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris661 View Post
Are you sure?

I wouldn't expect current speaker technologies (most of which revolves around waving bits of paper around with magnetic fields) to come close.

Electrostatics might do better, but even so. Current speaker technology has velocity (instead of position) control over the cone. Its like going from Xbox gaming to PC gaming.

Chris
It's to do with overall system tuning or optimisation. Unfortunately, at the current level of development and refinement of the art and science of audio reproduction, it's like sitting on a razor's edge to get to that point. But the fact that the vast majority of the time systems never reach that level, or only do so for a short of time, doesn't signify that it can't happen.

First of all, you have to believe that the goal can be achieved ...

Frank
Old 23rd July 2012, 12:26 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

My "first of all" would be, live music is best. Like fresh food. Then we have the chase. Enhanced reproduction a la 3D cinema or J Roberts surreal horns. Better than the original!
Old 23rd July 2012, 01:23 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
My "first of all" would be, live music is best. Like fresh food. Then we have the chase. Enhanced reproduction a la 3D cinema or J Roberts surreal horns. Better than the original!
Why not, just as good? My goal is for it to sound completely natural, it just "fits" as part of the landscape. Most audio is of the, look at me!, look at me!, variety; fine for the short haul and the impressive demo, but not so hot in the long run ...

Frank
Old 23rd July 2012, 03:01 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thank you for that; better than real doesn't interest me. Live acoustic music has a boundary. The players and their instruments are over there, some distance from me, not in my face. And the highs don't sizzle. Unless the brass man sticks his horn in my ear, or I've camped out under the drum set.
Old 23rd July 2012, 10:16 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Surely fidelity in the case of live music is about whether the performers play well, with due respect for the music and the space they're playing into?

If they're playing into a room like mine, with equipment like mine, they should play differently, and so they do, with mixed success. A "live recording" is clearly a contradiction and its fidelity can never be very high.

Fidelity = authentic performance, always.
Old 27th July 2012, 03:37 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Can't agree regarding the live recording. Done well the room is included, and I may say the "moment", which gets lost in the phoned-in process of most recordings.

Hide this!Advertise here!