Audio DVD to evaluate full range speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, I looked through pages of threads and did find threads on audiophile recordings but I'm looking specifically for DVD audio since I read it's closer to vinyl recordings. I searched various ways on amazon.com and keep getting lost and confused. Are these among the only ones you can find?

Amazon.com: Love (CD + Audio DVD): The Beatles: Music

http://www.amazon.com/Elv1s-30-Hits...r_1_13?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1333507517&sr=1-13

Is there a list somewhere of actual DVD audio discs? I haven't heard one yet, just read about it recently. :yummy: Is it safe to assume you need a sound card to hear the full resolution? I currently have on-board audio.

Last edited:
In my lowly opinion this is a bit of a nonsense. Using 24 bit audio for the Beatles recordings is a bit like insisting on 1080p for upscaled VHS, the resolution simply isn't there. What a Cash Cow!
A good quality recording on CD is more than capable of highlighting any problems with speakers. The Beatles are an extremely poor reference point.

Purely on sound quality grounds:
Order any Andreas Vollenweider CD, take a listen to that and compare it to any or all of the Beatles recordings.
Also try the Peter Gabriel album New Blood on CD, this comes with the option of downloading the 24/96khz version for free.

SACD was a bigger success with some following still today, albeit only really to any significant degree with Classical music.

I agree.
Although the Beatles are one of my all time favorate groups, their recordings have variable qualty at best and range from poor to good.
None can be consided excellent or worthy of using to to balance a sys IMO.

Last edited:
Yes, I looked through pages of threads and did find threads on audiophile recordings but I'm looking specifically for DVD audio since I read it's closer to vinyl recordings. I searched various ways on amazon.com and keep getting lost and confused. Are these among the only ones you can find?

Search the Hoffman forum for good demo music. Doesn't necessarily have to be 24/96 to be good. There's also HDtracks for hi-rez downloads.

Music Corner - SH Forums

In my lowly opinion this is a bit of a nonsense. Using 24 bit audio for the Beatles recordings is a bit like insisting on 1080p for upscaled VHS, the resolution simply isn't there. What a Cash Cow!
A good quality recording on CD is more than capable of highlighting any problems with speakers. The Beatles are an extremely poor reference point.

I would have said the same thing a few years ago until I heard a 24/96 needledrop from the Beatles Sgt. Pepper UHQR Mofi LP.

jeff

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
DVD-audio disks can sound slightly better than CD's, but not because of higher resolution.... its all about mastering and dynamic range. Most CD's are (as we know) dynamically compressed to sound as loud as possible, while DVD-audio releases may be less compressed. I have a few DVD-audio discs, and all of them are mastered with less compression than the CD version.

But - if you really want great sound - look for CD releases from the early 80's. That when they still had some dynamic range!

But - if you really want great sound - look for CD releases from the early 80's. That when they still had some dynamic range!

I have found with some early CD's that I am playing them typically 12-15db louder than much more modern CD's to get the same kind of average output levels.
Perhaps this is why some early digital can sound flat and uninspiring on some systems and not others. Quite apart from engineers relearning their art with digital, abuse of newer low distortion microphones etc. Underpowered amp's and speakers with modest dynamic range are perhaps not always flattered by recordings like this.

I still love to listen to good vinyl on the 401!:D

DVD-audio disks can sound slightly better than CD's, but not because of higher resolution.... its all about mastering and dynamic range. Most CD's are (as we know) dynamically compressed to sound as loud as possible, while DVD-audio releases may be less compressed. I have a few DVD-audio discs, and all of them are mastered with less compression than the CD version.

That's pretty ironic when you consider that one of the original selling points of CDs was their potential for a higher dynamic range over tapes and vinyl.

I've thought of another one I own... the 30th Anniversary Fly Like An Eagle by the Steve Miller Band includes a 5.1 channel version of the album. Albeit not really "closer to [the] vinyl recordings."
The DVD also includes a great live show with, of all things, a guest harp player. And I don't mean Norton Buffalo (RIP), I mean a real harp player. The stringed kind.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.