Help identify a country song

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I know many people here don't consider country music as 'real music' but if there are a few, I hope they can help me identify this song:
"with a smile she said yes it was love right there in Memphis Tennessee,where it was meant to be.......I could never have known that day,she was bound to come my way......."
I heard it on 'Upcountry', a World space radio channel about 10 years ago. Its stuck in my head but I can't find it on the internet. I've tried google but all I get is 'walking in Memphis' and 'maybe it was Memphis'.
Regards, Xeclipse.

Joined 2006
Paid Member

Attachments

• Memphis TN Street Car.gif
    Memphis TN Street Car.gif
    140.8 KB · Views: 112
Joined 2006
Paid Member

Hi Sy!!!

Whoa!!! That should be "Howdy" Sy............ ;)

Hey Sofaspud - you should at least have some pretty good Western Music down there in San An-tone. I learned my square dancing licks back in the 3rd grade up in Amarillo - and how to drink down long necks up in Wichita Falls. If SWMBO hadn't locked me up in the trunk of the car when we moved outta Sacramento I'd be bugging Sy over in Austin. Man-o-Man - I dooooooooo love Austin!!!

Last edited:
If I may.... first, one has to define "country" music.

Just because it come out of Nshville does not necessarily mean it's country music.
In fact, most of what comes out of Nashville I do not care for as it has little
to do with traditional county music IMO.

However, there is some country that I like, Artists like Iris DeMent, Nanci Griffith, John Prine, johnny Cash are examples.
I also love bluegrass.

Does one also have to like all rock simply because it is clasified as rock?

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
With all respect to you Joe - a discussion of the nuances of what is and isn't good "Country" music would be lost on most people here. Nashville is also the home of some very good bluegrass music and there are quite a few local "fest" that go on around here. Also home to gospel music - and there is a lot of that here. Plus home to quite a bit of "Christan" music with several artist home based here. There is some rock being recorded around town now and "Kid" Rock is not a rare site downtown - especially during CMA time. All in all it's pretty hard to beat as far as being around the music business. I lived in Cali for many years and there is a lot of great music to be had around the Bay Area. But watch out for the L.A. music scene - those sharks will eat your lunch.......

My preference is what would be called "Texas" music with Asleep at the Wheel and Commander Cody "high" on the list.

Hey Sofaspud - you should at least have some pretty good Western Music down there in San An-tone.
Maybe not as much as you'd think. SA has an earned reputation as a hard rock town (Google something that includes "the godfather Joe Anthony"). When Doug Sahm passed away I grieved alone:(. But I like hard rock, too, so I manage.
And I was in the 3rd grade in Lubbock!
@JoeDJ
Yep, I agree with you. I'm not into Kenny Rogers or Taylor Swift or Alabama or anything like that. But something like the first 4 Amazing Rhythm Aces albums... IMO it doesn't get any better in any genre.

With all respect to you Joe - a discussion of the nuances of what is and isn't good "Country" music would be lost on most people here. Nashville is also the home of some very good bluegrass music and there are quite a few local "fest" that go on around here. Also home to gospel music - and there is a lot of that here. Plus home to quite a bit of "Christan" music with several artist home based here. There is some rock being recorded around town now and "Kid" Rock is not a rare site downtown - especially during CMA time. All in all it's pretty hard to beat as far as being around the music business. I lived in Cali for many years and there is a lot of great music to be had around the Bay Area. But watch out for the L.A. music scene - those sharks will eat your lunch.......

My preference is what would be called "Texas" music with Asleep at the Wheel and Commander Cody "high" on the list.

BTW, I lived in nashville for a short while back in the late '60s. so, I'm fairly aware of the various types of music there.. at least at the time.
I went down there with a rock band I was in (long story) and mostly all poeple wanted to hear in many of the "clubs" was James Brown and other soul music. It was rather strange to say the least given the time.

I remember seeing Commander Cody live back in the '70s and he was a bit of a mad man on stage..... he was great!

Anyway, I was just refering to what Nashville is nationally and world famous for, a particular genere of music they call country. :)

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
I have a friend who claims to like both types of music - country AND western...

During the Country Music Awards (CMA's) we get people from all over the world visiting Nashville and Oz is represented very, very well!!!!

The funnest tourist tend to be those from Asian countries - they love to put on Cowboy clothing - including 10 gallon hats and big boots and then take western line dance lessons while they are falling down drunk!!! They have a BALL and are laughing a mile a minute..... It's great to watch folks having that much fun!!! :D:D:D

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.