Top 10 Albums

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been listening to recorded music ever since I got a 45 RPM single of Please Please Me in 1964. Finding 10 favorites from my collection of over 1000 records and CD's would be impossible, and an ever changing list. Instead I will offer up 10 that left the most lasting impression.

The impression is often lasting because of the circumstances that helped burn the music into non-volatile memory. The early Beatles stuff was all over pop radio. One day we turned on the radio for our Beatles fix only to find no music....President Kennedy had been killed. Other permanent impressions were influenced by the presence of "mood enhancing substances" often at concerts.

1) Are You Experienced - Jimi Hendrix.... Saw him in concert. Still have the record I bought in 1967
2) Abbey Road - Beatles.... Went through 3 8 Track tapes my senior year of HS. Still have the vinyl
3) On the Threshold of a Dream - Moody Blues.... Purple Haze and others involved here. Trippin in the Florida keys.
4) Jethro Tull - Benefit.... 20,000 people gathered for a free concert at the University of Miami...Orange Sunshine......
5) Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd.... Went to the concert, built a 1000 watt system that could produce the bass! Neighbors didn't like it. Still don't.
6) Yessongs - Yes.... The concert was cool. Wakeman was cooler. I got an ARP and let my hair grow....Annoyed the neighbors.
7) Six Wives of Henry the Eighth - Rick Wakeman.....
8) Empire - Quensryche.... Popular when I finally made it to college at age 37, liked it, bought it, played it, still do 20+ years later.
9) Metallica - Metallica.... See #8.....reinforced by seeing Metallica 5 times in concert.
10) A Night at the Alhambra - Loreena McKennitt.... I heard a song on a pirate radio station, bought the DVD. I was intrigued by the cool instruments. For years I thought the Hurdy Gurdy man (Donnovan) was a drug dealer!

Last edited:
intoxicated people and vynil never is a good combo

I moved in with a bunch of guys that all worked in the same plant that I did. 5 guys in a rented house (1975). We all played musical instruments and annoyed the neighbors a lot. All worked out OK until one of the guys got canned and a drummer moved in. He had a lot of undesirable friends. During those few months a lot of my vinyl dissapeared and a lot more got trashed. When I started finding needles and burnt spoons, I left.

1/king crimson,in the court of the crimson king SACD mixed by steve wilson (p/ tree
2/porcupine tree,deadwing
3/porcupine tree,in absentia
4/yes,relayer
5/scott walker,5 easy pieces
6/stevie r vaughan,Couldn't Stand The Weather
7/Zakk Wylde,Book Of Shadows
8/nat king cole, Love Is The Thing sacd
9/ Talk Talk - The Colour Of Spring sacd
10/Solomon Burke A Change Is Gonna Come

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Top 10 eh....hmmm...they won't be in order and they are subject to change...:)

1. Close to the Edge - Yes
2. Going for the One - Yes
3. No Earthly Connection - Rick Wakeman
4. Selling England By the Pound - Genesis
5. The Six Wives of Henry VIII - Rick Wakeman
6. Yessongs - Yes
7. UK - UK
8. Hero and Heroine - The Strawbs
9. Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots - The Flaming Lips
10. Past Present and Future - Al Stewart

I can't provide a top ten all time best, too many to choose from.
But, here's 10 that enter my head now, so must rate quite highly I suppose.

Siamese Dream - Smashing Pumpkins
Copper Blue - Sugar
Zen Arcade - Husker Du
Rage against the Machine - Rage against the Machine
Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
Violator - Depeche Mode
Vecketamist - Grizzly Bear
OK Computer - Radiohead
In Rainbows - Radiohead
Ill Communication - Beastie Boys

If you asked me again another day, I'd have a different list (although it would still have Copper Blue!).

Last edited:
I'm new here and this looks like a good place to jump in. Here's my list, in alphabetical order by band because I like them all and they take me to different times and places;

1-Brothers & Sisters - Allman Brothers - Jessica is one of the best guitar instrumentals ever.
2-Eat A Peach - Allman Brothers - Melissa and Blue Sky are stand outs here.
3-Pet Sounds - Beach Boys - Got me through cold Wisconsin winters as a kid.
4-Boston - Boston - Great rock and roll that helped get me through the dreaded disco era.
5-Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs - Derrick & the Dominoes - Layla, we've all been there.
6-The Captain & Me - Doobie Brothers -Takes me back to hemp fueled army days in Korea.
7-Led Zeppelin IV - Led Zeppelin - Stairway -a guitar staple when I was a young guitar player.
8-Seventh Sojourn - Moody Blues - Sounded profound at the time, still sounds good.
9-Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd - See #6 above :)
10-Abraxas - Santana - Smokin hot guitar via Boogie amps.

hi all
keith jarret koln concert
paul bley chet baker diane
george winston december
t minus five purity
hugh masakela hope
diana krall the girl in the other room
diana krall the look of love
dave brubeck take five
eric clapton unplugged
eva cassidy imgine
windham hill sampler 89

cheers paolo venezia

Here goes:

1. Beatles-Revolver. This is God.Period.
2.Byrds-Notorius Byrd Brothers. Played it over and over.
3.Moody Blues-On the Threshold of a Dream.Under-rated talent.
4.Dan Hicks and His Hot Licks-Strikin' It Rich. Unbelievable talent.
5.The Samples-Samples (Blue Album.) One of the few bands I liked the first time I heard them.
6.Stephane Grappelli-Young Django. With Larry Coryell, great musicianship.
7.Crowded House-Woodface. The Beatles of the '90s.
8.World Party-Goodbye Jumbo.How can one person do so much?
9.Who-Live at Leeds. Best live album of all time.
10.Beethoven-Emperor Concerto.Totally absorbing.

Jimmy Buffett, in no particular order:

A White Sport Coat and a Pink Crustacean
Living and Dying in 3/4 Time
Havana Daydreamin'
Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes
Son of a Son of a Sailor
Volcano
Coconut Telegraph
Somewhere over China
One Particular Harbour
Riddles in the Sand
Last Mango in Paris
Floridays
Off to See the Lizard
Barometer Soup
Banana Wind

I like other artists too but Jimmy's pretty far in the lead. ;)

I am probably going to be a little different :)

Jimmy Eat World - Futures (Well rounded album, with maybe a track or two that non-fans would consider "filler")
Joe Satriani - Live in Paris (Among the top in argument for greatest guitar player of all time)
John Mayer - Where The Light Is - Live in LA (Bad rap in mainstream media, ridiculously talented)
Boston -Boston (I agree with the poster a few pages ago, welcome change from disco)
Eagles -The Very Best (Top 5 most talented bands ever, arguably)
Something Corporate - Leaving Through The Window (Well this is a guilty pleasure)
Kamelot - The Black Halo (Personal preference, obscure I guess)
Norah Jones - Come Away With Me (Well this is easy IMO. I could listen to this for the rest of my life and be happy)
Tom Petty - Greatest Hits (Proof that 4 chords are all you need to know to make great music)
U2 - Best Of... (The best band I have seen live)

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2011
Here's some that will never go out of my "top ten", but that task is impossible. a top 10 of jazz is impossible, a top 10 of rock is impossible, and a top ten of electronica is also impossible. Theres stuff I used to completely love that has now faded out of the blue... A top ten artist is more appropriate, but whatever. heres my absolute favorite records of all time that I still enjoy everyday. No nostalgia here, I put here the music that I still love today.

Miles Davis- Kind of Blue
Miles Davis- The on the corner complete session
Kettel- My Dogan
Gil Scott Heron- Pieces of a Man/Winter in America
Jimi Hendrix- Electric Ladyland and also Band of Gypsys
Van Morrisson- Astral Weeks
Arca- Stretch 1 and 2
John Coltrane- Ole and Africa. The '61 year of coltrane is imo his best.
Shpongle- Are you Shpongle?
Zappa- Every era has a couple of good things, but he rel;eased WAY TO MUCH CRAP. Its a shame, because well out of his 300 songs, Zappa's top 10 songs is quite impressive. If I had to take one zappa, it would be 72's The Grand Wazoo and WakaJawaka.

Not in any order:

Supertramp - Crime of the Century
Rush - Moving Pictures
The Postal Service - Give Up
The Nails - Mood Swing
Blondie - Parallel Lines
The Ataris - So Long Astoria
The Replacements - Tim
Goo Goo Dolls - Superstar Carwash
Tool - Ænima
The Beatles - Revolver

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Yes - Relayer
Zappa - Shut up an play yer Guitar
Janos Starker - Bach, Cello Suites
Patricia Barber - Modern Cool
Sonny Rollins - Our Man in Jazz
Pat Metheny - Trio 99-00
Greg Brown - Slant 6 Mind
Bozzio Levin Stevens - Black Light Syndrome
Wilco - Being There
The Flaming Lips - The soft Bulletin

1- Amused to Death - Roger Waters
2- Dark side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
3- Living in the Past - Jethro Tull
4- Electric Ladyland - Jimi Hendrix
5- The Soul Sessions Vol.2 - Joss Stone
6 - USA - King Crimson
7 - The song remains the same - Led Zeppelin
8 - Metallica - Metallica
9 - After the Goldrush - Neil Young
10 - Born to Die the paradise collection - Lana del Rey

Maybe the last one looks remarkable but she is a great talent to my honest opinion.

I'm gonna take a shot at this, today's snapshot:

1. Beatles - Abbey Road (side 2 is heaven)
2. Beatles - Revolver
3. Beatles - Rubber Soul
4. Beatles - Sgt. Pepper
5. Beatles - The Beatles or the "White Album"
6. Eagles - Hotel California
7. Boston - Boston
8. Steely Dan - Aja
9. Roxy Music - Avalon
10. New Order - (hard to pick one)

Although my extensive vinyl and CD collection is eclectic, I guess I'm stuck in the past with the above selection.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.