RIP Davy Jones - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Music

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th February 2012, 11:33 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default RIP Davy Jones

Davy Jones Dead at 66
Old 29th February 2012, 11:56 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The Monkees were just singers whereas the Beatles wrote their own songs.
However I have to admit the Monkees had some great songs too.
Old 1st March 2012, 12:37 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

It's a pretty straight line from 'The Monkees' to 'MTV.' It is hard to take the original band concept seriously, but they made it work, created some decent pop music, and it was hugely popular. Davy Jones face was also on all the teen magazines, and he was undoubtedly the most visual member after the breakup. Sad to hear of his premature passing. I have a handful of Monkees albums. And most of the Michael Nesmith solo stuff (which is uniformly excellent, btw).
Old 1st March 2012, 01:14 AM   #4
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member

The members of the Monkees knew they were being created out of thin air. But it was Hollywood, and that's to be expected.

One interview I saw of them (years later) had the guys recalling that they had lots and lots of time on the road when they were on their first tour, and instead of just lazily passing the miles away, they took that time to actually learn how to play their songs. They said that at the beginning of the tour the music was almost all canned. By the end it was almost all live.

And who cares if they did or did not write their own music? They were smart enough to use great writers who wrote great music.

In the end, all that matters is when I get out one of their albums, I smile. It's fun and enjoyable. Davy Jones was a part of that then, and still is every time the music plays.
Old 1st March 2012, 01:19 AM   #5
speaker is offline speaker  United States
diyAudio Member

I had the good fortune to see Jones, Dolenz, & Tork in the mid 80's on a Monkees reunion tour. I was never a fan, the tickets were given to me as a goof. Yet, of all the shows I've seen over the years, this one remains a favorite. Say what you will about them, they gave it up for the audience like there was no tomorrow. I came out of there with a big smile and a "Wow!". It was a truly great night and his passing makes me very sad.
Old 1st March 2012, 02:28 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

My memory was flung back to the "mixers" in our Catholic high school when I heard the news (I think there was only one co-ed Catholic high school in the ancestral homeland), and it caused one of those immediate twinges of mortality. and ps for those of you who never experienced it, the Jebbies did frown on putting your hand anywhere on the aft part...

de mortuis, nisi nihil bonum
Old 1st March 2012, 03:33 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelwright7557 View Post
The Monkees were just singers whereas the Beatles wrote their own songs.
However I have to admit the Monkees had some great songs too.
Take That also wrote their own songs and at least none of The Monkees inflicted anything nearly as atrocious as The Frog Chorus upon the world after the demise of the band.

RIP Davy Jones.

One last question: Does he get a sea burial to get back to his locker?
Old 1st March 2012, 05:07 PM   #8
JoeDJ is offline JoeDJ  United States
diyAudio Member

Say what you may about the Monkees but they were intended a band in name only for a TV show and became a real quality rock/pop band who played at sold out concerts.

Of course they were never in the same league as the Beatles but, in ther own right, the Monkees were also a greater than the sum of their parts band the end. They were a unique, cultural phenomenon.
I remember that they gained a lot of respect when they released "Pleasent Valley Sunday" and people realized that they also had a bit of a social conscience

Last edited by JoeDJ; 1st March 2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 1st March 2012, 11:18 PM   #9
DaveCan is offline DaveCan  Canada
diyAudio Member

They had some good tunes, and most people aren't aware or never realized that Axle Rose got/borrowed/stole? his dance moves from Davey Jones..

Man! 66? that's too young to go. People think they're going to retire and live all their dreams at 65!, this just reminds me how foolish that type of plan is, ya just never know.....
Old 2nd March 2012, 01:55 AM   #10
mlloyd1 is offline mlloyd1  United States
diyAudio Member

"cute" songs and a funny tv show ... good entertaining stuff when i was younger ...

sofaspud:
i've heard no Michael Nesmith solo work but am curious. What would you recommend as an introductory disc?

thx,
mlloyd1

Hide this!Advertise here!