Remember Shakti - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Music

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th September 2003, 06:44 AM   #1
sunil is offline sunil  India
diyAudio Member

Default Remember Shakti

Hi,

Anyone listen to the new incarnation of Shakti.

Cheers,
sunil
Old 5th February 2004, 08:09 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Yes,me.
Why?
Old 23rd February 2004, 04:28 PM   #3
sunil is offline sunil  India
diyAudio Member

Well, what do you think of the music. Do you like it ? Do you think the music is much different from the previous bunch.
Old 23rd February 2004, 08:25 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi Sunil,
As a pro musician,I cannot say I generally listen to the music "I don't like",if you know what I mean...
Yes,I like a lot what's happening about the new Shakti,and I consider it a further step in that direction.
However,I kinda miss the old members (Shankar on violin moved somewhere else,aesthetically speaking, and T.H.Vinayakaram...I just don't know anything about him).
For sure,the overall sound and expression changed significantly because both McLaughlin and Hussain evolved in such different directions,but the band as a concept is "on the saddle".
Maybe,sometimes,I sense a slight touch of artificiality in the new Shakti's formula,not something synthetic or wrong,but rather indecisions and over-sought effects....these things weren't in the old band....or it's me who's getting old?!?
Cheers!
Old 25th February 2004, 06:51 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Some news!

You might like to try the following link:
http://www.abstractlogix.com/index2.html
There are some (little known) events there regarding the extra-Shakti activity of Selvaganesh,but also Jonas Hellborg and Kai Eckhardt (both musicians worked with John McLaughlin).
Lots of audio and video files!
Old 1st March 2004, 08:39 AM   #6
gjo is offline gjo  India
diyAudio Member

Hi

Saw this thread today. I have heard the older stuff and love it, as well as Jonas Hellborg playing with Vinaykram's son. Looking back, seems to me that these guys came before their time..Shankar's older brother. L Subramaniam performs regularly in my town, but Shankar has stopped performing here-though he used to in the 80's. He used to billed as "L Shankar and Caroline"-though I have no idea what she played.

Who are the guys making up the new Shakti, and how does this compare with some of the earlier stuff? Any names off their newer CDs?

Thanks

George
Old 1st March 2004, 02:37 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi gjo,
Go to
www.amazon.com
and type "Shakti" in the search field.
You'll have all the info you need in one place!
Good luck!
Old 4th March 2004, 05:38 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Well I have been following L Shankar for a long time since he released the shakti album in late seventies. I bought the new CD tittled remembering shakti. This CD features U Srinivas on Mandolin and mostly live recordings of concerts in Europe. There is no comparision to the origional albums produced during the time when Shankar performed. The quality of music is mediocore and not appealing. It doesn't sound fusion. However if you are interested in carnatic music, Shankar keeps releasing his albums regularly. He performs in US every year with vikku and zakir and I think he toured India in 2001-2002. He now performs with his daughter. Though he still comes out with jazz/ fusion music albums, they are nowhere the quality of the early shakti albums. L subramaniam also is a good performer but I think Shankar is still one of the best violinist. Check him out with Peter Gabriel in the album Secret World -Live.
Dinesh

Hide this!Advertise here!