Help i want to Techno and i cant get up - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Music

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th January 2012, 09:27 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Talking Help i want to Techno and i cant get up

hey guise i've wanted for some time now to make techno/electronica/house music. does any one know if i they have the technology to make some and if so can you tell me some programs???
Old 9th January 2012, 01:16 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

The early versions of Fruity Loops were designed for techno/trance/house. You started with a piece of music, looped it, layered it, then chained it together with other loops and added layers as needed. It was easy to learn and you are making tunes in a fer hours.

Fruity Loops has now evolved into a full featured music production station called FLstudio. I have not tried any of the FLstudio versions since I switched to Cakewalk Sonar several years ago.

Sonar can do anything, but the learning curve is steep and you won't be throwing songs together in one or two hours. Not cheap either and serious computing power is needed for multiple audio tracks.
Old 12th January 2012, 11:26 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I used the ACID programs for years.I have acid 3.0 right now (it's old as hell, but works), but am not using much since my computer is a POS and broken and am not happy with the recording quality of the version I have... The accompanying SoundForge program allows you to manipulate the loops you make. Once you learn the basics of making samples and placing the samples, it's easy and fast. I see it as an ameteur's way of just playing around. Ironically, I have several DJ mixed cd's that I have found used some of the same samples (free or bought samples available at acidplanet.com or on CD's) that I have used for some of my own songs Now I try to use my own samples and instruments whenever posssible to keep originality up...
Layering and looping is somewhat easy. I have made some decent stuff with little experience. But, learning the "formulas" for making a real song can be a challenge and will have to be learned over time. Depends on your level of ability in playing instruments. If you have more than basic knowledge of how to play a certain instrument or instruments, then the programs are just going to be tools for recording the sounds, not making them.
I used the program to sample instrument sounds I really liked that existed on LP's or cd's, then I could change the pitch and lay out the sounds so it sounded nothing like the original song it came from. It's not illegal to sample one note. One snare hit, one bass drum hit and so on. I just like the sound of certain synthesizers or instruments I don't have or can't afford to own

Having analog controls to alter synth sounds helps a lot. You have to be able to experiment with sounds. It's all about experimentation. Worry less about the program, and more about making music by manipulating with sound. Your style will change as your knowledge progresses. Record everything. No matter how bad. You will be entertained in the future by the change in your sound...

One thing I have noticed over years of listening to electronic based music, is that certain trends come and go like any style of music. Certain synth sounds will become popular and then many song will come out with the same sound. Remember Benni Bennasi? All of a sudden tons of stuff started sounding like them...
Old 23rd February 2012, 12:20 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I have a keyboard/ synth, multitrack recorder. I'm just learning the ropes of song structure and the timing and all that. I haven't even learned how to record my tracks yet but I'm getting pretty good at doing an entire progessive trance track on the fly,let me tell you its a hell of a lot of fingerwork playing the board and using synth at the same time. I posed a question in one of the other forums(software) about software for building tracks and I was able to find Abelton Live! Intro for $130 its the slim versionof what Armin Van Buurin uses to produce tracks. If you have no musical background its perfect because it also aloows MIdI files to be imported.
Oh and TM Hutson is right it is absolutley mind blowing just using a synth and custom makiking your own sounds

Last edited by Top Shelf; 23rd February 2012 at 12:25 AM.
Old 23rd February 2012, 08:45 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Propellerheads Reason is another wonderful piece of software. Normally the good softwares are the ones you have to pay for.
Old 26th March 2012, 02:43 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I just got Sony Acid music studio 8 , verrry nice. Has more features than I will probably ever use. Simple to build up a song with as many tracks as you need. Its. A little confusing trying to find the loops when you first open up the program, but once you look in the folders you find the 3025 loops of all sorts and as well they give you a code # that allows you to download an additional 3000 loops for free. Its a good deal for $_70. Plus it can import midi files.
Old 10th April 2012, 02:12 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I just got Sony Acid music studio 8 , verrry nice.
Newegg just ran this as one of their "Shell Shockers". It was the bare disk (no box or manual) bundled with a rather useless 16 bit 44 KHz USB audio interface for $29. It arrived yesterday. I haven't loaded it yet since I am still building the new portable PC that it will go on.
Old 5th May 2012, 02:13 AM   #8
impsick is offline impsick  United States
diyAudio Member

Propellerheads Reason is hands down the best for making electronic music.

You'll need a midi keyboard though. For a basic midi board your looking at $100.

Hide this!Advertise here!