High Res Downloads - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Music

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th January 2012, 02:40 AM   #21
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Tony, spud, I screwed up royally. After a certain point in the recording (before this song), the balanced shifted hugely. Someone moved the mike? Nope, someone hit a switch (I hope not me) with put in MS matrixing. Oops. I fixed it and now things should sound mo' better. Ditto the 16 vs 24 bit problem- this was the first time I used Goldsound for mastering and there were a couple things I missed. Also fixed.

Lee Barber Live - Tin Foil Satellite MS by Stuart Yaniger on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Old 6th January 2012, 02:48 AM   #22
just another
diyAudio Moderator

OK I didn't know what that was, so looked it up. So effectively the recorder thought it had another additional mic (to the Blumlein) and encoded based on that configuration?

I'll have to download tonight and have a listen, I assume it was something you could fix in the mastering, ie it wasn't irreversible.

I'm interested to see if I can pick a difference between the web playback (mp3) and the high quality. I suspect I won't be able to pick a difference between 16 and 24 bit (but you never know). Perhaps with headphones...

Tony.
Old 6th January 2012, 02:52 AM   #23
diyAudio Moderator

16 and 24 bit is tough to distinguish. MP3 is a lot easier!

Yeah, it was fortunately recoverable- I just had to dematrix everything which is easy to do with a software mixer.
Old 6th January 2012, 03:37 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

I've listened to the three of these, last night and just now. This last one is far superior to the last two. A very natural sound with the voice image a tiny bit left of center. Could be my computer speakers (Monsoons) slightly off balance, but I don't think so. And reasonable sounding depth, by the applause, for a living room preformance. Nice job.
Old 6th January 2012, 03:47 AM   #25
diyAudio Moderator

Thanks! He really was sitting a bit to the left. Once I figured out my matrixing screwup, things got a lot better. I am VERY happy with these mikes and preamp; the sibilance in many studio recordings just isn't there, and the rendition of his guitar is very natural.
Old 6th January 2012, 03:51 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Thanks, I'll check this out in about an hour.
Old 6th January 2012, 04:41 AM   #27
jlsem is offline jlsem  United States
diyAudio Member

To me the most interesting aspect of the recording is that his voice doesn't sound as pale as it does live, compared to the guitar. Is this due to the height of the microphone placement?

John
Old 6th January 2012, 04:46 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Great performance, recording, and Music! For reference, Is there some background hiss or a/c noise or is it just something in my setup(listening on my backup headphones)?

Nicely done.
Old 6th January 2012, 05:26 AM   #29
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Did you take down the file? Soundcloud says it's not there.
Old 6th January 2012, 05:32 AM   #30
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

i downloaded it an hour ago.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!