What happened to music after 1992 ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I was born in 1980 and I love all music.
I was raised on a military base and (un)fortunately I had to listen to music from the 60's & 70's while on post during the 80's.
Once the 80's were over they started playing 70's & 80's music on post.
My whole family is very musically talented and between the 4 of us we play 10 instruments and 3 of us sing.

I think that these experiences have effected my music tastes dramatically, I enjoy not only Sinatra & Darin but the Mamas & the Papas, Dan Fogelberg, CCR, Chet Atkins,Van Halen, Michael Jackson, George Strait, Dolly, Randy Travis, System of a Down, Maroon 5, Coldplay, Zac Brown Band, Boston Pops, Herp Alpert and the Tijuana Brass among MANY others.

I don't think that good music has left the planet, it's just harder to find.
I have a standing statement whenever someone asks me if I like some obscure band.
A solid Yes!
It's not about the loss of great artists or the coming of new greats; for me it's about music appreciation.
I may not "like" every band or type of music out there but as a music lover I know that if I really pay close attention I will find something in every style & band that I like.
This has brought me to have a very random playlist in I-Tunes and a large collection of CD's.

Now I am building my collection of LP's and I find that re-pressings of classic vinyl brings back much that was lost in the digitization of music.
Not to mention that older performers have more emotion and meaning in their music that more easily resonates with people. IMHO

The Rant Is Over

Thank You

I agree the recording studios back in the good ole days were gate keepers and help perpetuate decent talent. I HATE this new female singing where they bend the voice OHHH I resent that s%*& sound. Chet Atkins was a great gate keeper and at the same time he would premote the great talent relentlessly and did a lot to get the suits to go along with his choices.
There are no more Johnny Mathises nor Sinatras out there anymore. Bluegrass is getting slicker and more plastic. Or the more popular bluegrassers go country which isn't country anymore,, like Alison Kraus. I think that talent will always rise to the top and the desire of talent will never cease. but it is harder to decifer (sp?) though the crap that is mainstream.
Just like stereo equipment, you can't go to best buy and find a real top end stereo, but you can find sources for it. times change but quality is still sought after. People need to stop buying at Walmart or bestbuy and look for quality elsewhere. Youtube is getting harder to get discovered because of all the crap that is on it.

Stictly FWIW..........

Watching the new years eve celebration from NY City's Times Square on TV last night in the US ("Dick clark's rockin' new year's eve") about the only good song/performance was ......believe it of not, from Justin Bieber of all people. This was simply because the song was an old song and accompanied by Carlos Santana.
The song was the Beatles' "Let it Be" and the young crowd loved it.
Good music stands the test of time.
IMO, every other newer "song" by the other singers last night will fade into obscurity shortly.

Man, how can you say that :(

Justin has just bas....ed the good song :(. It was a miserable performance.
Bieber has NO EAR and no voice and it is still grand mystery for me how person with a such little talent got where he is now. I could not find any other example in the music history.
(said that, I want to add that I have nothing personal against Bieber, I am just curious of the phenomenon).

On the other hand I liked how Cee Lo Green sung "Imagine". That was good :)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yeah, Radio Paradise is great and probably the the most successful Internet radio station. RP was a great help when I worked night shift.

My favorite eclectic radio station is in Paris. FIP. A great way to learn about all sorts of music, old and new.

Man, how can you say that :(

Justin has just bas....ed the good song :(. It was a miserable performance.
Bieber has NO EAR and no voice and it is still grand mystery for me how person with a such little talent got where he is now. I could not find any other example in the music history.
(said that, I want to add that I have nothing personal against Bieber, I am just curious of the phenomenon).

On the other hand I liked how Cee Lo Green sung "Imagine". That was good :)

I'm not a Bieber fan by any stetch and I never sad his performance was great. I simply said that IMO, his was the best performance/song which only indicates how bad I thought the other performances/songs were by comparison.
I don't care how good a voice someone has, If they are singing a BS song with no melody and/or interesting chord structure, it's a complete turn off for me.

Speaking of Carlos Santana, I heard him say many years ago that his father (who was also a musician) told him that in music, he should consider the beat the masculine part and the melody, the feminine part and all good music must have both in balance. I have to agree with that.
Today, too much music just has a beat with no melody and is completely out of balance and incomplete.

As far as Cee-Lo Green...... he and his songs have always bored me and in a few years, people will probably say "C who"?:)

Last edited:
that is true. I have posted a few youtube vids and made a few CDs, I have one of those hard disk recorders and they are amazing.
Or you could just download Audacity (Win/Mac/Linux), or one of many other such programs.
but in the old days if you had talent you had a great chance to be discovered. Now I posted vidoes on youtube and only have 30hits it is not as easy as one would think to get noticed. recording your own music has gotten dirt cheap and cac do it in your own home. That is good. but the radio station playing your song days are long gone.
My non-musician friends I visited ten+ years ago didn't want to "explore new music." They only wanted to run Napster, Gnutella or whatever to download the already-commercial songs they knew and loved. Unlike me, they had no interest on listening to new songs from unknowns on music host sites such as soundclick, IUMA and the original mp3.com. I did a lot of downloading over dialup of songs I'd never heard before, and I found a lot I liked. And so I discovered yet another aspect of myself that makes me eccentric and unusual, my musical taste includes things outside the Top 40.

While the music industry is changing, it still takes a lot of marketing (and/or getting a song used in a nationwide commercial) to make a musical act commercially viable where "regular people" will want to listen to it. I won't guess what will happen to The Major Labels, but all the marketing and promotion stuff they did is still important. I really have to say that "getting discovered" is a euphemism for getting heavily promoted.

If you really want to get your music heard by more than a dozen people, send out some CDs to college stations (look then up online and follow their submission guidelines). If they like it there's a chance they'll play it. That's one possible path to commercial, or at least "hundreds of people have heard one of my songs" music. There's a lot more to it I don't know about, but that's a start.

And even in the old days there were a lot more people with talent than there were people getting played on the radio. I've seen very talented and motivated people go nowhere in the music business outside of playing bars and frat parties.

I think the biggest disappointment nowadays, that shows the general lack of talent, is that there may be only a couple of songs on a new CD that are worth listening to. Very few bands now are capable of writing well, and it seems more like sheer luck that they manage to have 1 or 2 hit songs on a CD. I remember buying records where I could sit down and listen to, and enjoy, the entire album. Now I hate to spend money on a CD, as most songs are crap, only 1 or 2 are decent, although there are a few that are exceptions. I would rather buy downloaded songs that I can pick individually.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I couldn't agree with you more!
It has been ages since I have been able to listen to an entire new album and heard more than 3 good songs.
Even the greats are getting that way, George Strait for example, his newest album "Twang" has only one good song and it is questionably good at that.
The newest artists are relying on this "Auto Tune" software to keep their pitchy crappy controlled vocals in check.
Too many people are signed because of their looks instead of their talent.
One good quality of a musician is the ability to hold key (no matter what the instrument).
Do people think that Chet Atkins could get signed if he could never put his fingers in the right place???? I THINK NOT!
The same should go for young artists that are Good Looking but can't carry a tune.

Manufactured teen idols is nothing new and I remember a few manufactured no talent superstars from the "'50s however they were the exception.
However, now, it seemes that manufacturing a star is the norm....... follow the established formula and make money seems to be the mantra.

I also like to listen to an album from start to finish (when I have the time) but those are few and far between anymore.

One recently acquired albulm/CD that I like and is great in its entirety is the "Robert Hazard - Troubadour" CD.
Every song is great and it well recorded.
However, it does not meet the new, cookie cutter, pigeon hole formulas and never achieved national attention.

BTW, consider the "Beatles"..... their musical talent was meidocre at best but, they could write real songs that are still popular today.

As a relative young'un (read 90s kid) all I've ever known is music post 1995ish, although my dad has a few super 70s CDs, not to mention a large collection of queen, cliff richards and dire straites.

As for the state of modern music, mainstream stuff - to my ears - is ridiculously dull. When I was in school I travelled for an hour every morning and evening on the school bus and was subjected to the best that mainstream music had to offer, which just didnt do it for me. Fast forward to now and I'm into metal, drum & bass and dubstep (classical is also fantastic, but given thats mostly pre 90s i'm ignoring it here).

To address the issues raised by the opening poster, I've found within the genres I like that at the mainstream end there definitely is a sense that some people produce distinctly average music at a tremendous rate simply to make money, however at the other end of the spectrum (producers/bands that have very little fan base outside of the city they are in) it's all about making/recording something that sounds incredible and gets people moving. - I guess that's why I love it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.