The Man in Black is gone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Johnny Cash, a towering figure in American music spanning country, rock and folk and known worldwide as ``The Man in Black,'' died Friday in Nashville, Tenn. He was 71.

Although I was never a fan of country music, I could always listen to Johnny Cash. And his last 6 or 8 albums were especially good. This was not a country anymore, but solid rock, covering artists such as Danzig, Cohen, Tom Petty and Nick Cave.

His music will remain timeless and he will be always remembered.

Attachments

• john11.jpg
    john11.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 175
I heard a few song form his last 2 or 3 albums... I decided to download 'The man comes around' ... those covers he made like 'depeche mode's 'personal jezus;.... huge impact on me..... he has a timing a diction that can compete with Frank Sinatra .. he makes me go silent ...

great artist, his versions of modern songs are a treasure ...

regrets and thankfull,
Thijs

cowanrg said:
what album would you suggest to someone wanting to get to know cash a little more? ive heard some of his stuff, and i generally like it. what would be agood introduction?

Actually, I would recommend this one : http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...1447039/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/104-9669517-9222336

Just got it today and that's what is what intro says:

"In 1993, a meeting took place in the dressing room of an Orange County, CA, theatre between a 61-year-old music legend from Arkansas and a 30-year-old rock and rap producer from New York. It was a start of collaboration that in the course of a decade would produce four critically-hailed, Grammy-winning albums. As Johny Cash and Rick Ruben began work on the fifth American album, they thought it would be a nice idea to mark their 10th anniversary by releasing a box set of songs. Unreleased gems, cut during all four album sessions, that had been sitting in several mountains of tape boxes, waiting to be unearthed - traditional and contemporary songs, sung alone with a guitar, or with celebrated guests form Carl Perkins to Nick Cave, Tom Petty to Marty Stuart, Flea to Fiona Apple. Johny also took the opportunity to slip in the album of solo spirituals he had wanted to record all his life".

Attachments

• jc1.jpg
    jc1.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 147
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.