Classic Rock

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I´m a HUGE Iron Maiden Fan.Maiden made me love rock music like no band ever did.Somewhere here in the forum i was reading that I.Maiden albuns were good recordings , in sound quality that is. I cant agree on that , albuns like Iron Maiden , The number of the beast , Piece of Mind and Powerslave the quality sound is arcaic .I´ve listened to albuns of those years with much better recordings and probably quite cheaper.Live after Death is to me the first quality recording Maiden did , of course it has a lot of studio improvements done later( remember it´s a live recording).Somewhere in Time is another example of a poor recording , Martin Birch (I.Maiden , Deep Purple , Whitesnake) is a good producer but in my opinion is albuns lack sound quality.7th son of a 7th Son is a little better still far from what could be done in 1988.

Various late 60's early 70's 'unofficial' live Who recordings are just so far ahead of the game I can't really take anything else too seriously since I got hold of them about 10 yrs back.

Otherwise, quite like 1st 3 Zep albums, Jethro Tull, Hendrix, ZZ Top, Clash, very early Elvis Costello & Attractions - anything that rocks hard but has melody and sounds like it could have been or was recorded live (studio or concert). Don't like 'metal' version of rock at all in the slightest - sounds wimpy to me and over-produced.

i dont like the Who , never did , but Zeppelin are absolutely amazing there´s not a song a i dont like.
talking about british bands , there is always Queen , Freddy was an absolute musical genius , i dont think will ever see anyone like him.

Last edited:
Various late 60's early 70's 'unofficial' live Who recordings are just so far ahead of the game I can't really take anything else too seriously since I got hold of them about 10 yrs back.

Otherwise, quite like 1st 3 Zep albums, Jethro Tull, Hendrix, ZZ Top, Clash, very early Elvis Costello & Attractions - anything that rocks hard but has melody and sounds like it could have been or was recorded live (studio or concert). Don't like 'metal' version of rock at all in the slightest - sounds wimpy to me and over-produced.

i like good records , i dont mind if there is a lot production if the result is pleaseant.i also like rawer less produced records like the 70´s ones used to be.what i hate is bad productions , like some of I.Maiden and others like Foreigner´s Agent Provocateur or Def Leppard´s Pyromania.

A shame cause i truely love all these albuns.Maiden´s Powerslave sounds like it was recorded in the mid 70´s not 84 , Foreigner´s Agent Provocateur the vinyl sounds awful and of course the cd worse , Def Leppard´s Pyromania terrible bass never sounds good.Metallica´s kill em all and master of puppets are other good examples of bad production.Ride the lightning is better , still bass doesnt sound good , and Justice for all is so bad they should record it again .Metallica 1991 black album is IMHO the best of the 1st 5.

Dave matthwes behind these crowded streets is a production masterpiece , specialy the bass , if i sold hifi gear this would be the 1st cd i´d play for the customer.

Last edited:
That's quite a gap between Toto and Pantera.:) I have an admitted bias towards Iron Maiden. I had a half-British friend who liked them, told me he used to see them play the NCO club on the USAF base in England. I saw them live not long afterwards, opening a show for, I believe, Judas Priest. This was all back when Paul D'Anno (sp?) was still lead singer. I can't say anything positive about that experience unfortunately. Bruce Dickenson certainly improved things, but the band still never managed to "flip my switch" and become something I would own.
BTW, Judas Priest's Sad Wings of Destiny sounds pretty good to me. I couldn't tell you the producer, but it's arguably their best. BTW, BTW, if you like Priest, give a listen to Trapeze Jury from their album Medusa. Glenn Hughes, Dave Holland, and the late Mel Galley are probably better known from Deep Purple, Judas Priest, and Whitesnake, respectively. Classic 70s stuff.
Burke Shelley of Budgie is IMHO one of the great underrated bassists in rock. Yeah, his vocals are not unlike Geddy Lee's. Yeah, Metallica's Breadfan record probably earned them more $$ than any of their own. But In The Grip Of A Tyrefitter's Hand is as good a max riffage shake the walls track as I can think of.

Hey, lduarte1973, have you listened to other Martin Birch productions? I can recall 'Heaven & Hell' and BÖC's 'Cultosaurus Erectus' (now playing) as his work and I've never found anything wrong with those. I don't, though, usually make a conscious effort to grade recordings on sound quality. I'm not really that kind of audiophile. Sure, I notice if it's substandard, satisfactory, or exceptionally good, but that's about all. To me, what is recorded almost always takes priority over how it is recorded.
Many interesting opinions voiced in these few posts: "quite like 1st 3 Zep albums", "Don't like 'metal' version of rock at all in the slightest - sounds wimpy to me and over-produced", "bad productions like... Def Leppard´s Pyromania", "early Elvis Costello & Attractions - anything that rocks hard." Not saying whether I agree or disagree at this point, just noting that there's a large population that would disagree.
I listen to just about anything other than choral/opera stuff and rap/hiphop stuff, and I even have some of those titles. But I can only take it in small doses. My desert island would have to be equipped with some blues rock and some fingerstyle guitar.

So... anybody listen to stuff like Dr. Feelgood, Big Star, Brinsley Schwarz, The Romantics, The Inmates, etc. What you might hear called power pop or pub rock or whatever (genre labels can be as inhibiting as helpful IMO, and just as often). Elvis C fits better with this group than some of the harder bands mentioned.

I don't, though, usually make a conscious effort to grade recordings on sound quality. I'm not really that kind of audiophile.

:D

I´ve always been nitpicky with cd bass/mid/treble balance , that´s the reason why i use a equalizer. In older recordings (70-90) each engineer choose a different balence , in cd´s from 90´s to present sound balence is more even.

It was "Number of the beast" which got me into Iron Maiden.

The best thing about Maiden is they just keep going on and on with great music.
You cant say that about most bands that have one or two hits then disappear.
Just how they remember all the chords and notes I dont know, I am a guitarist so appreciate what it takes to learn those long wailing lead riffs.

My favourite mainden song is "Phantom of the opera".

What got me into Maiden was "live after death" and "somewhere in time" and they still are my favourite band (if i have to pick one).Adrian Smith left the band in early 1990 because he was disappointed with the musical direction the band was taking , he expected to do an album in the same vein of S. in time and 7th son while Steve Harris prefered a stripped rawer version of maiden like they did on Killers.I love the killers album but No prayer is one of the worst Maiden works.

Last edited:
Led Zeppelin is king of variety, while maintaining their own sound.

Metallica hired Bob Rock who was the producer of the "Black" album. A fine Canadian lad, he told them he cold make them sound so much better.

I would trim Def Leppard off your list and put Megadeth in there. The only thing Def Leppard is good for is filling in space between commercials on Classic Rock stations. What do they have, like 3 hits?

Iron Maiden is blah once you get past the cool name and poster. What do they have like 2 hits?

Who is Toto? Was that the guy from Winger? One cold easily substitute the Eagles for Toto, heck even Steven Tyler with his saggy tits beats Toto.

Slayer is nice. They have been solid throughout the years. I can honestly say I like new Slayer as much as the older stuff.

I spent many hours teaching myself guitar with Led Zeppelin, then Metallica. Lot's of variety to keep you interested.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.