Classic Rock

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Opps I was wrong about the Pink Floyd album.

Here are some interesting facts:
The Eagles "Greatest Hits" sold more copies in the US then Thriller.
Pink Floyd was on the Billboard charts twice as long as Thriller.
Rolling Stones had 36 top tens, Micheal Jackson???
The Beatles had 19 #1s, Janet Jackson had 6, Micheal had ??? Didn't make the top ten list.
The Beatles were number one for 132 weeks, Micheal Jackson 50 weeks.
"Westside Story" spent 17 more weeks at number one than Thriller.
Jackie Gleason and Glen Miller were on the top ten twice as long as Thriller.

Nice to know we are not insane as a society!

Jimmy Buffett fact:

He is one of eight persons to have reached No.1 on the New York Times best sellers list for both fact and fiction. His company includes:

Ernest Hemingway
John Steinbeck
William Styron
Irving Wallace
Dr. Seuss
Mitch Albom
Glenn Beck.

Not bad, I'd say

Hmmm...I guess Caribbean Drunken Rock & Roll does count on this list huh? ;)

Rush

No mention of Rush so far.
From Wikipedia: "Over the course of their career, Rush has come to release 24 gold records and 14 platinum records (3 of which have gone multiplatinum), placing them within the top 3 for the most consecutive gold albums by a rock band."
I always liked them, but after seeing the Rush in Rio DVD and the accompanying "behind the scenes" DVD, I have a new respect for these guys.

Michael Jackson has had 13 #1 singles on Billboard's Hot 100 singles chart, trailing only The Beatles (20), Mariah Carey (18) and Elvis Presley (18 or 17, depending on source). This total does not include "We Are the World", co-written by Jackson and credited to USA for Africa, or the four #1 singles by The Jackson 5.
Jackson had 28 top ten hits on the Billboard Hot 100, one less than The Beatles (29), and trailing Elvis Presley (36) and Madonna (37).
Led Zeppelin's has had 10 songs on Billboard's Hot 100, with only "Whole Lotta Love" making the Top 10.

bought 'The Who Live at Leeds' last week, fantastic, hadn't heard it for ~ 30years.
(kicks zepplin's butt)

But they put all these 'extras' on it - I just want to hear the original album, in the original order - starting to hate remixes

The one to get is the bootleg with everything on it, the singles and rockers section and the Tommy section, mainly because it hasn't been messed around with to 'improve' the sound quality. Raw and dynamic or what. I saw Zep and The Who in 1970 at the same university venue within weeks of each other; both were fantastic but the general agreement was that The Who were best at that moment in rock history..... others may disagree but they weren't there.

I also dislike all the "extras" they add to albums now. Most of this junk belongs on the cutting room floor. I just delete the added tracks. Also original or re-released vinyl is a good way to get closer to the original sound we remember.

Also, some of our recollections are clouded by the smoke of the times.

I think the extras are a great addition for the most part. ie. Graham Parker 'Squeezing Out Sparks' and Devo 'Are We Not Men?' are at least two that I have with complete live versions of the tracks... single-only releases and film tracks that weren't on a band LP... demos and outtakes that offer a fresh perspective... Some of the material is fitting of "B-side" and I don't particularly admire the way some of it is marketed (think SRV), where the "extra" is the only reason for the album's existence. I do especially like the "buy the CD, we provide the extras via a web link" model.
What annoys me more is the "covert" remixed reissues. Fleetwood Mac 'Tusk' is the culprit that always comes to mind.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.