Don Williams: Your favourite album/songs? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Music

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th August 2003, 05:56 AM   #1
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Default Don Williams: Your favourite album/songs?

I like his laid-back vocal more in my true single ended Aleph3 than in Pass Labs A40, MOSFET Crescendo and several McIntoshes. Unfortunately he has too many albums with overlapping songs.

What is your favourite album and songs (Of course recording matters )?
Old 8th September 2003, 05:01 PM   #2
slydwz is offline slydwz  United States
diyAudio Member

I guess there are not many Don Williams fans here. I have quite a bit on vinyl, hard to pick a fave. Saw Don in concert about 10
years ago. Excellent.
Old 9th September 2003, 04:28 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I used to be a country musics (and vocal) fan when I was a tube fan. Now I'm a MOSFET fan I guess. But I found that many audiophiles like DW songs (Audiophiles are mostly old guys and tube guys, aren't they?)

I posted because I was curious why people not using the forum to exchange information regarding good recordings. CDs are not cheap for most music listeners. Using boombox, recording quality is not important but when people start to build tube amps, class A amps or other quality amps and speakers, I think they cannot go with CD piracy.

It is fine if we can try out CDs before buying, but that is not always possible. Or if we can, the system quality , or the file format in case of MP3 (Hey, more than 2000 internet MP3 heavy users were sued by EMI/Universal/Sony!) is not good enough to explore the recording potential.
Old 9th September 2003, 02:25 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Got me pegged. I'm a vinyl fan, tube-MOSFET fan, audiophile..OLD guy. 50 gets closer everyday. Favorite recording of merit? The remastering of Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue". I now own 3 copies of that masterpiece (original album, CD, re-mastered CD), and will probably get the remastered vinyl pressing. I find the remastered CD phenomenal. However, I am hooked on Davis, Coltrane, Mingus, Monk, Webster, Ashby, Ellington........
Old 10th September 2003, 05:00 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Yes... you must be one Tube-MOSFET? a hybrid or tube pre plus MOSFET amp? But it must be those Hitachis, right?

Jazz was my favourite 10 years ago. Ironically, my favourite music type/genre is determined by the audio system I'm using. I was using 2SK135/J50 and a 3-way speaker. A system for jazz, if you know what I mean. Pre-amp can be the op-amp based (OPA 2134 type) or 6J5. Later I tried tubes but never been happy so I go back to MOSFET, but I rarely use 3-way anymore (have tried to build one, but failed).

So, in a 2-way system (a cheap one of course), my jazz CDs cannot find their way from the box into the player. I don't use vinyl because the songs/albums are very limited. But I will buy that "Kind Of Blue", at least for collection .

Lately I have been trying to listen to a jazz radio station (through my Nokia 6510!) in order to hunt good jazz music. I want something that is not too jazzy (too mainstream?), something like pop-jazz, like Norah Jones (Come Away With Me & Newyork City). Yesterday I heard John Mayer and I like it (but it doesn't sound like jazz???).

BTW, which one of those singers you have mentioned that I probably like?
Old 10th September 2003, 12:16 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Tube pre, MOSFET power (yep, Hitachi's --- modified Hafler
from 20 years ago). For speakers I have Acoustat 3's and Hales
Revelation 3's (switching between these can be a pain). None
are singers, all jazz musicians. Try some Duke Ellington, great swing. I often cross the line into rock, country, alternative (my daughter has taken me to see Saliva and Hoobastank (did I spell that correctly!?)). I always come back to Jazz. I live outside Atlanta, there are no jazz stations here (there is a wannabe, all they play is Kenny G).
Old 11th September 2003, 11:47 AM   #7
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

There are so many Don Williams songs that I love...

Don't know all of his songs..have 2 albums that my dad bought...

Never seen a CD here in Holland..

Cheers,
Bas
Old 12th September 2003, 05:31 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Slydwz,

I guess the Haffler is a high wattage amplifier, at least uses 2 pairs of MOSFET per channel. But 2 pairs might be not enough for the acoustat. I like MOSFET especially because of their performance at low frequencies (wide bandwidth and smooth decay), and Hitachis for the smooth trebles (low gate capacitance). And the Hales shines at where the Acoustat really suffers, the bass. I guess this is what you meant by switching between them can be a pain. I have heard electrostatic with tube-MOSFET and I didn't like it. But with the Hales, I imagine it will be wonderfull.

BTW, I have added these 2 albums into my shopping cart: "Kind Of Blue" and "Ellington At Newport (Live)". I'm very selective, aren't I? . I guest I will prefer The Ellington than the Miles Davis, and I have never liked saxophone either.

Bas,

I also have only 2 albums, the audiophile's recordings. "20 Greatest Hits" is the next target for this singer.

I recon you are one of the tube guy. I guess in Holland you go to vynil shops a lot more often than to CD shops
Old 12th September 2003, 05:09 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

You must be psychic! Ellington at Newport Live is my favorite
Duke. Yeah, the Hafler is not a good choice for the Acoustat's, although I have an ARC D76A that is great for them. I tried integration of subwoofers with these, but never had great luck
(homemade of course). Now they spend most of their time in the basement (next project is a music room there). Get me out of the living room for the WAF.

Bas, no Don CDs in Holland? What are you looking for?
Old 13th September 2003, 10:19 PM   #10
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Bas, no Don CDs in Holland?
Hi Slydwz,

To be honest I have not really searched for them...since I copied one of my dads... so there must be.....but never spotted any...it is just not mainstream at all over hear....but Don is just one of those hidden treasures I guess you would call it..no-one i've spoken with has ever heard of him.....well their loss

But while I am on this thread...does anyone have a recommendation for an album?

I have greatest hits volume 1 and expressions... am I missing out on something?

Regards,
Bas

Hide this!Advertise here!