Any Prog Metal Fan on DIYA? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Music

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd August 2011, 05:17 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Any Prog Metal Fan on DIYA?

I'm a HUGE prog metal fan and was wondering if DIYA knew of any audiophile-quality recordings. I found a thread of head-fi, but thought I'd see what y'all had to say about the subject
Old 24th August 2011, 01:15 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to vdi_nenna
Hi,

You mean like Via, Satriani, John5 or Dream Theater? Yeah, I like that stuff.
Not sure which ones are audiophile quality recordings though. Be good to hear opinions on the subject.

Any bands you like in particular?
Old 30th August 2011, 07:57 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I'm a pretty big Dream Theater fan, but I have not heard of the others you mentioned. Will definitely be checking them out though. I've heard Dream Theater has some pretty well recorded albums, Images and Words being one that I've heard mentioned on several occasions. As far as my favorites, I'd have to go with Between the Buried and Me, Agalloch, Protest the Hero, and Opeth(of course). I like the heavier stuff, haha.
Old 30th August 2011, 08:05 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I haven't listened to much of the genre, but I am a big fan of Dream Theater. Mike Portnoy is an absolute beast on the kit - I'm in love with the guy.

All of the albums I have by them are very well recorded - the guys put a lot of hard work into those albums.

Saw em live a couple of years ago too.
Old 2nd September 2011, 10:44 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Portnoy is a monster! But I've begun to lose some respect for him with the recent drama. I envy you greatly. My friend got to see them at Prog Nation, I was so jealous.
Old 9th September 2011, 11:13 PM   #6
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm, a prog fan, and I like some prog-metal

Dream theater recordings are pretty mediocre, as are Tool and A Perfect Circle and Primus and Opeth. Varying levels of the "wall of Sound" concept. Haven't actually heard any "good" prog metal recordings. That's not to say I don't like the music.

Last edited by Ron E; 9th September 2011 at 11:18 PM.
Old 27th December 2011, 03:34 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I love Prog Metal. One of my absolute favorite bands is Fates Warning. Absolutely incredible live. I also just saw Dream Theater live (they opened for Iron Maiden on their last tour.) Also, check out Nightwish. I really like them. During the holidays I was listening to Blind Guardian. Good stuff.
Old 27th December 2011, 04:27 PM   #8
Illusus is offline Illusus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Tool has made some nice recordings. Lateralus stands out IMO; 10 000 days is amazing. Adam Jones is said to be obsessive about production quality.

Hide this!Advertise here!