How many Watts for loud Class D Guitar amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
200 watts is a good start!
I used to run about 1200 watts on my rig and it was way more than than what I needed!
Was it loud? Quite !!!!!
1000watts on a sunn 215 with MCM select pro 15" drivers and sunn concert slave amp on a sunn 610 stock cabinet.
Laying down with the 610 on top.

jer

Man that's a lot of watts :scratch1:

I had a Marshall JCM Lead Series Head, 50 watts of tube power plugged into a Marshall single stack with 4 12''Celestion drivers in a semi open back cab.. That thing could get scary loud, I mean really, really loud... I was playing it in my room at about 19 years of age one time, and some friends could hear it up at the school a few blocks away, somehow I can still hear well:cool:

The good ol days lol .. Playing Metallica, Anthrax on my Gibson Flying V at concert volume in a tiny room, silly really lol:)

Here's someone I know who was still at it in the 90's and had the same amp and guitar as I used to have pretty much.. Dave Davis at the far back wall in the vid..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AkJLdKyoqw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_Fk8c8p7Iw&feature=related

Last edited:
Yeah I know, but that was a lot of watts for a guitar in that post I was referring too, yikes lol.. Anyhow my mega blasting days are over but sometimes I still crank it up a few notches :D, although now with a small 2 x10'' Line6 Spider amp and a Gibson Epiphone Special Custom .. In another life I would wish for a PRS, but it's way out of my budget in this one hehe..

Last edited:
Ya ,same here I finaly cooked the 610's one day when I got P.O.ed about something.
But I still have every thing except the Marshall 8100 that I used for a preamp.
That 610 looked like a pack of lit cigarettes still in the pack there was so much smoke! he,he,he :(

Right now I am using a Park amp on a pair of vintage jensen 12" C12-Q and I get a sweet sound and is quite loud as is.

I also have used those same Jensens with the Sunn 215 now populated with some old Altec Lansing drivers with a Knight P.A amp with a pair of EL34's and after an hour of jamin some Jimi my ears would still be ringing the next day,that is no joke!

The Jensen's are a bit bright and goes to show that speaker sensitivity means alot.

I also had a Peavy Renoun400 (200 watt) with two 12" scorpion speakers that were rated at 102db at 1 watt and that thing cracked an eardrum once when I was sitting in front of it on the floor and hit the volume wide open by acciedent with my ear right on the grill.:( :(

The MCM drivers went in to some E.V. three way P.A. cabinets, The ones that looked like anvil cases.

I'd like to get one of those Line6 amps I played on one last year at a party and I was quite impressed!

jer

P.S. I use a 1985 Blonde Stratocaster and a Peavy T-60

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.