How many Watts for loud Class D Guitar amp? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Music

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th June 2011, 01:36 PM   #1
Banned

Default How many Watts for loud Class D Guitar amp?

Hello,

I wish to buy a Class D guitar amplifier, and i want it to be loud.

It will only be used at home, but i want iot loud.

How many Watts do i need?
Old 25th June 2011, 03:04 PM   #2
kec is offline kec  United States
diyAudio Member

I think you want to post this in the musical instruments section. And, maybe the class D section if you don't get any anwsers.
Old 25th June 2011, 03:56 PM   #3
Banned

5W is loud. to get twice the volume you need 50W, twice the volume again needs 500W.

It all depends on how sensitive your speakers are. In the home environment you are unlikely to need more than 50-100W.
Old 25th June 2011, 08:36 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

200 watts is a good start!
I used to run about 1200 watts on my rig and it was way more than than what I needed!
Was it loud? Quite !!!!!
1000watts on a sunn 215 with MCM select pro 15" drivers and sunn concert slave amp on a sunn 610 stock cabinet.
Laying down with the 610 on top.

jer
Old 28th June 2011, 10:44 PM   #5
DaveCan is offline DaveCan  Canada
diyAudio Member

Man that's a lot of watts

I had a Marshall JCM Lead Series Head, 50 watts of tube power plugged into a Marshall single stack with 4 12''Celestion drivers in a semi open back cab.. That thing could get scary loud, I mean really, really loud... I was playing it in my room at about 19 years of age one time, and some friends could hear it up at the school a few blocks away, somehow I can still hear well

The good ol days lol .. Playing Metallica, Anthrax on my Gibson Flying V at concert volume in a tiny room, silly really lol

Here's someone I know who was still at it in the 90's and had the same amp and guitar as I used to have pretty much.. Dave Davis at the far back wall in the vid..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AkJLdKyoqw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_Fk8...eature=related

Last edited by DaveCan; 28th June 2011 at 10:59 PM.
Old 28th June 2011, 10:55 PM   #6
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Generally the bigger the speaker and how many you have = less watts needed,

rgds, sreten.

Class D though ? nothing beats raw valve power amplifier distortion in my book...
Old 28th June 2011, 11:34 PM   #7
DaveCan is offline DaveCan  Canada
diyAudio Member

Yeah I know, but that was a lot of watts for a guitar in that post I was referring too, yikes lol.. Anyhow my mega blasting days are over but sometimes I still crank it up a few notches , although now with a small 2 x10'' Line6 Spider amp and a Gibson Epiphone Special Custom .. In another life I would wish for a PRS, but it's way out of my budget in this one hehe..

Last edited by DaveCan; 28th June 2011 at 11:37 PM.
Old 30th June 2011, 07:25 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Ya ,same here I finaly cooked the 610's one day when I got P.O.ed about something.
But I still have every thing except the Marshall 8100 that I used for a preamp.
That 610 looked like a pack of lit cigarettes still in the pack there was so much smoke! he,he,he

Right now I am using a Park amp on a pair of vintage jensen 12" C12-Q and I get a sweet sound and is quite loud as is.

I also have used those same Jensens with the Sunn 215 now populated with some old Altec Lansing drivers with a Knight P.A amp with a pair of EL34's and after an hour of jamin some Jimi my ears would still be ringing the next day,that is no joke!

The Jensen's are a bit bright and goes to show that speaker sensitivity means alot.

I also had a Peavy Renoun400 (200 watt) with two 12" scorpion speakers that were rated at 102db at 1 watt and that thing cracked an eardrum once when I was sitting in front of it on the floor and hit the volume wide open by acciedent with my ear right on the grill.

The MCM drivers went in to some E.V. three way P.A. cabinets, The ones that looked like anvil cases.

I'd like to get one of those Line6 amps I played on one last year at a party and I was quite impressed!

jer

P.S. I use a 1985 Blonde Stratocaster and a Peavy T-60

Last edited by geraldfryjr; 30th June 2011 at 07:36 AM.
Old 30th June 2011, 01:37 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

5-10 valve watts would be sufficient, class d I'd go for at least 200w and of course you would need some kind of device producing valve-like distortion to get the amp sound right.

Hide this!Advertise here!