Best Small Hard Hittin Rock Bands

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
> Montrose

What do you think of this album?

Amazon.com: The Very Best of Montrose: Montrose: Music

One guy wrote re that CD:
"onnie Montrose is one of the first hard rock guitar heroes. Before he formed his own band he played guitar on sessions by people such as Van Morrison, Edgar Winter and Herbie Hancock. He can play in variety of styles. Although his hard rocking style is featured prominently here. His band Montrose was an influence on such bands as Van Halen. Interestingly enough Sammy Hagar(ex-Van Halen) sang on Ronnie's first two solo albums. The music is classic mid-seventies hard rock from the United States. Ronnie is a highly underrated guitarist.

His solo in "I Got The Fire" and his slide playing in "Clown Woman" are excellent. Other stand out tracks include "Rock Candy", "Rock The Nation", "Dancin' Feet", "Let's Go" and the cover of "Twenty Flight Rock". The sound remastering is good, however I can not give this compilation a five star rating because some of my favorite cuts like "Make It Last", "Black Train" and covers of "Good Rockin' Tonight" and "Connection" were left of in favor of lesser material, especally those cuts from the Mean album. There were also no cuts included from his band Gamma. Many of the musicians featured on these tracks later appeared on Sammy Hagar sessions.

Fans of guitar heavy rock from the seventies will enjoy this compilation. I only wish someone would compile a disc of his out of print instrumental material now."

Yeah, "Bad Motor Scooter" is really Sammy's song. "All Night Long" set is a good crossover from Sammy Hagar lead singer and Sammy Hagar solo star (recorded in San Antonio, BTW).
I have over 8 hours of Cult music and like it all. "Sonic Temple" may have been their commercial peak, "Electric" has some popular tunes including a pretty good remake of biker anthem "Born To Be Wild." Newest I have is "Born Into This" and it's as good as these other two.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.