Air on the G string

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Forgive any ignorance on my part regarding the following..

I am trying to find a recording of August Wilhelmj's arrangement of Bach's Air (from Orchestral Suite #3, BWV 1068). Bach's 2nd movement is in the key of D. Wilhelmj's arrangement is transposed to the key of C and lowered an octave (info at Wikipedia), enabling him to play the whole movement on just the G string of his violin.

Having learned that the G string on a violin is the one furthest from the bow hand, it also looks like the few examples on YouTube (one example here) aren't actually playing Wilhelmj's arrangement, but rather Bach's original Air, and thus the title in those cases should just be "Air" (as in Bach's piece).

Again, I appreciate there are plenty of recording's of Bach's Orchestral Suite #3, but I'd like one (preferrably on violin) of Wilhelmj's arrangement. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Since it's apparent that people are playing Bach's version even when using the title "..on the G string", how can one be confident of getting Wilhelmj's arrangement?

Thanks for any help with this.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.