diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Music (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/music/)
-   -   Anyone got tips for writing (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/music/187431-anyone-got-tips-writing.html)

stolenband 20th April 2011 04:26 AM

Anyone got tips for writing

Hey. I am wondering if anyone has any tips for me to be able to write better stuff. Right now, I just write what i feel like every day, in poem form. Anyone else have songwriting tips????

steviedon 20th April 2011 11:27 PM

I find the songs I enjoy the most are products of extreme emotion......particularly pain or depression. I also like a lyric written in a very loose metaphorical format......when one can only interpret the song by using ones imagination. For instance.....a friend of mine just wrote a song about his flatulence.....the average person would never know though. This is just personal taste, but I also tend to enjoy more recently lyrics that contain no rhymes.

aardvarkash10 21st April 2011 12:38 AM

writing what? Whats wrong (in your opinion) with your curent material?

stolenband 21st April 2011 01:34 AM

Whats wrong is that i think i am wasting time writing things that wont be used. Im looking for a way to get more good stuff out. I currently write when i am pissed off or whenever it hits me to write

steviedon 21st April 2011 02:20 AM

Writing when your pissed off will convey emotion, but I find better songs are written from life experiences......as in covering a longer time period than just an instance of anger. You want to concentrate on telling a story......in a melodic form that is. What you quantify as "good stuff" and the genre you're writing within would be helpful to provide more tips.

aardvarkash10 21st April 2011 03:36 AM

writing when pissed off ends up in the Land of Alanis Morrisette - whiney self-preoccupation.

SY 21st April 2011 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steviedon (Post 2545651)
...better songs are written from life experiences

One of my favorites was written by Southpaw Jones right after having a girl sitting behind him at the movies yak all the way through it. It's the Seinfeld philosophy- write about the mundane things around you.

Southpaw Jones | Songmaker ? Whimsicologist ? Austinite

"To Be So Bland"

lduarte1973 26th April 2011 12:41 PM

I write when " inspiracion " strikes me that works best for me , i dont like to plan ahead when im going to do it , i usaly write about my fellings ,everyday events or just make up a story. Most of the times i sing some words creating a melody and later i try to find the right words(with meaning) to fit that melody. Many Iron Maiden songs/albuns are about history events - Powerslave - about Ancient Egypt , 7th son of a 7th son - about the legend that the 7th son of a 7th son becomes a seer,clairvoyant,prophet.
I never got inspired to write about politics or society , but many people do.What type of music do you do ?

dylanthermos 11th June 2011 12:01 PM

I tend to write if something appeals to me, it could be something someone says, it could be a book or film title, anything that strikes you as standing out.Overheard conversations are good but don't get caught listening? Newspapers,TV,advertising material, my wife's magazines always have agony aunts etc.
I tend to write blues tunes because I love that idiom but I have also written comedy songs.
When I was visiting Atlanta once a few years back I met a married couple and to cut a long story short I wrote a song called "Red Neck Swingers From Hell"
Well you can draw your own conclusions how I came to write that.
If you are so minded you can have a listen to a few of my efforts at:-

dylan thermos - Home Page

I'm not spamming anyone I just thought you might like to listen.Hope this inspires you in some way.........dylan