Tell us about your accidental discoveries - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Music

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th April 2011, 04:10 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Tell us about your accidental discoveries

Ever since I subscribed to MOG, a very nice streaming service, and also browsing youtube some, I'm come across some very good artists and tracks I have never heard of before. Some of these discoveries have enriched my listening experience immensely. Okay, some of my discoveries have turned out to be well known to others, but they are new to me!
Today, I have been listening a lot to Christian Willisohn, blues and boogie. Amazing stuff I had not heard before but he has a well established body of work and is well recorded. Nice on either speakers or until my wife comes in and puts my Sennheisers on me lol.

So what is your favorite discovery experience?
Old 10th April 2011, 04:17 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Practically all I have in my music collection is accidental (I like to call it serendipitous) discoveries.
I blame YouTube.
My favourites are Mylene Farmer, Anna Ternheim, Eleftheria Arvanitaki, Happy Rhodes, Vas/Azam Ali, Imogen Heap, Orianthi, Zhong TinTing, Zhao Cong, Loreena McKennit, Arielle Dombasle...
The list is practically endless with more added continuously.
Old 10th April 2011, 08:40 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myglaren View Post
Practically all I have in my music collection is accidental (I like to call it serendipitous) discoveries.
I blame YouTube.
My favourites are Mylene Farmer, Anna Ternheim, Eleftheria Arvanitaki, Happy Rhodes, Vas/Azam Ali, Imogen Heap, Orianthi, Zhong TinTing, Zhao Cong, Loreena McKennit, Arielle Dombasle...
The list is practically endless with more added continuously.
That's the spirit I'm talking about.

Paul Simon is quoted as saying "I've been lucky to have been able to work with some of the most amazing musicians in the world and most of them are people no one's ever heard of."
Old 15th April 2011, 03:12 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I can't count the number of times I walked into record stores and heard something incredible playing.... Walked up to counter to ask what the heck it is... When I lived in Minneapolis, I use to go to Let It Be records because they let you listen to CD's before you buy. The dj area in the basement had tons of record bins and you could spin then before you bought them!!! I found some incredible stuff that way. Just randomly grab interesting CD's by cover art. Or maybe choose it based on the record label... I don't believe in accidents for the most part. If you seek it, you'll find it
Old 10th May 2011, 09:09 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Most of my music considering I don't have a radio or television was found from other sources such as, wikipedia, youtube, live356, todou, youku amazon, google and here.
Some bands/artists I found:
cold fairyland, tool, go!go!7188, Zhao Cong, Yuan Sha, XTX, hiroe morikawa. the hsunami and so on

I search by instrument often and see what interesting sounds I can find then look at related music or artists.
Old 10th May 2011, 11:15 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

one day i was walking down the street and found a bunch of tapes , took them home , mostly where heavy metal stuff i knew , but one AOR band was really good , but nobody knew what it was (this was in 1990 no internet then !). 4 years later , i still didnīt know what it was ( i only got internet in 1995) , i went to a cd store that had just opened , i was the 1st customer they had. I asked the seller if i can listen some cdīs , and the first cd he puts was that album . the band was Van Zant ( from Johnny Van Zant brother of Ronnie Van Zant from Lynyrd Skynyrd) 85 S/T album.

Last edited by lduarte1973; 10th May 2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10th May 2011, 09:41 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myglaren View Post
I blame YouTube.
My favourites are . . . Loreena McKennit . . . The list is practically endless with more added continuously.
Yeah, there's a LOT more out there than anybody could ever listen to even superficially - much less fully appreciate. Some, like Jane Oliver, I like in general. Others, like Al Kooper's "Super Session" and "Kooper Session", are the one or two notable works in a much larger reportoire.

Dale
Old 15th May 2011, 05:12 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Here is another one:
I was reading a book by a Norwegian author this morning who mentioned a street in Berlin that reminded me of Gassehauer*, played that (on Youtube) and went on to O! Fortuna, naturally, but by Andre Riue, which I normally wouldn't have done but nervermind why.

Spotted this in the recommendations and I'm knocked out by her. An exceptional young musician with the potential to become one of the greats.

*discovered while watching "Badlands" but it took me years to find out who wrote it and where to get it.
Old 3rd July 2011, 12:58 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I discovered Lucinda Williams by accident. I was traveling, and I pulled some CD off a rack at a convenience store or coffee shop on an impulse. It was a collection of songs that some schlocky soft-jazz singer liked. Diana Krall I think. The Williams tune was "Blue." I was hooked. Bought half a dozen of her albums.

I discovered a lot of my current favorites when Napster was Napster. I would leave the computer running all night downloading stuff, and when I found something I liked, I would buy the CD. I bought more CD's that year than any other.
Old 3rd July 2011, 03:02 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

i was watching "Zazie dans le Metro" last night, and discovered that Malle had borrowed from "The Three Stooges". Two eve's ago, I was listening to Vivaldi's "Juditha Triumphans" for the first time, and to my amazement noted that Mozart had borrowed a few bars!

For those of you interested, "Amelie" picks up where "Zazie" left off, but 40+ years later.

Hide this!Advertise here!