Tell us about your accidental discoveries

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ever since I subscribed to MOG, a very nice streaming service, and also browsing youtube some, I'm come across some very good artists and tracks I have never heard of before. Some of these discoveries have enriched my listening experience immensely. Okay, some of my discoveries have turned out to be well known to others, but they are new to me!
Today, I have been listening a lot to Christian Willisohn, blues and boogie. Amazing stuff I had not heard before but he has a well established body of work and is well recorded. Nice on either speakers or until my wife comes in and puts my Sennheisers on me lol.

So what is your favorite discovery experience?

Practically all I have in my music collection is accidental (I like to call it serendipitous) discoveries.
I blame YouTube.
My favourites are Mylene Farmer, Anna Ternheim, Eleftheria Arvanitaki, Happy Rhodes, Vas/Azam Ali, Imogen Heap, Orianthi, Zhong TinTing, Zhao Cong, Loreena McKennit, Arielle Dombasle...
The list is practically endless with more added continuously.

Practically all I have in my music collection is accidental (I like to call it serendipitous) discoveries.
I blame YouTube.
My favourites are Mylene Farmer, Anna Ternheim, Eleftheria Arvanitaki, Happy Rhodes, Vas/Azam Ali, Imogen Heap, Orianthi, Zhong TinTing, Zhao Cong, Loreena McKennit, Arielle Dombasle...
The list is practically endless with more added continuously.
That's the spirit I'm talking about.

Paul Simon is quoted as saying "I've been lucky to have been able to work with some of the most amazing musicians in the world and most of them are people no one's ever heard of."

I can't count the number of times I walked into record stores and heard something incredible playing.... Walked up to counter to ask what the heck it is... When I lived in Minneapolis, I use to go to Let It Be records because they let you listen to CD's before you buy. The dj area in the basement had tons of record bins and you could spin then before you bought them!!! I found some incredible stuff that way. Just randomly grab interesting CD's by cover art. Or maybe choose it based on the record label... I don't believe in accidents for the most part. If you seek it, you'll find it :D

Most of my music considering I don't have a radio or television was found from other sources such as, wikipedia, youtube, live356, todou, youku amazon, google and here.
Some bands/artists I found:
cold fairyland, tool, go!go!7188, Zhao Cong, Yuan Sha, XTX, hiroe morikawa. the hsunami and so on

I search by instrument often and see what interesting sounds I can find then look at related music or artists.

one day i was walking down the street and found a bunch of tapes , took them home , mostly where heavy metal stuff i knew , but one AOR band was really good , but nobody knew what it was (this was in 1990 no internet then !). 4 years later , i still didn´t know what it was ( i only got internet in 1995) , i went to a cd store that had just opened , i was the 1st customer they had. I asked the seller if i can listen some cd´s , and the first cd he puts was that album . the band was Van Zant ( from Johnny Van Zant brother of Ronnie Van Zant from Lynyrd Skynyrd) 85 S/T album.

Last edited:
I blame YouTube.
My favourites are . . . Loreena McKennit . . . The list is practically endless with more added continuously.
Yeah, there's a LOT more out there than anybody could ever listen to even superficially - much less fully appreciate. Some, like Jane Oliver, I like in general. Others, like Al Kooper's "Super Session" and "Kooper Session", are the one or two notable works in a much larger reportoire.

Dale

Here is another one:
I was reading a book by a Norwegian author this morning who mentioned a street in Berlin that reminded me of Gassehauer*, played that (on Youtube) and went on to O! Fortuna, naturally, but by Andre Riue, which I normally wouldn't have done but nervermind why.

Spotted this in the recommendations and I'm knocked out by her. An exceptional young musician with the potential to become one of the greats.

*discovered while watching "Badlands" but it took me years to find out who wrote it and where to get it.

I discovered Lucinda Williams by accident. I was traveling, and I pulled some CD off a rack at a convenience store or coffee shop on an impulse. It was a collection of songs that some schlocky soft-jazz singer liked. Diana Krall I think. The Williams tune was "Blue." I was hooked. Bought half a dozen of her albums.

I discovered a lot of my current favorites when Napster was Napster. I would leave the computer running all night downloading stuff, and when I found something I liked, I would buy the CD. I bought more CD's that year than any other.

i was watching "Zazie dans le Metro" last night, and discovered that Malle had borrowed from "The Three Stooges". Two eve's ago, I was listening to Vivaldi's "Juditha Triumphans" for the first time, and to my amazement noted that Mozart had borrowed a few bars!

For those of you interested, "Amelie" picks up where "Zazie" left off, but 40+ years later.

I can't count the number of times I walked into record stores and heard something incredible playing.... Walked up to counter to ask what the heck it is... When I lived in Minneapolis, I use to go to Let It Be records because they let you listen to CD's before you buy. The dj area in the basement had tons of record bins and you could spin then before you bought them!!! I found some incredible stuff that way. Just randomly grab interesting CD's by cover art. Or maybe choose it based on the record label... I don't believe in accidents for the most part. If you seek it, you'll find it :D
Heh, that is how I discovered one of my favorite albums of all time: Thievery Corporation - The Mirror Conspiracy. I just happened to be flipping through the albums, thought the group had an interesting name and the album cover was very cutting edge cool at the time. So on a whim I just purchased it. Its rare that I find an album that is a non-stop enjoyable listen all the way through from the first listen and still is today. The tracks Le Monde, Lebanese Blonde, Só com você and Indra* just blew my mind. To this day this is my go to album when I want to chill-out. There is nothing better than throwing on this album and sitting out on the back porch with a glass of bourbon.

*An odd aside, when I was in India meeting my wife's family Indra was the bumper music for MTVIndia. So it was an Indian variant of an American channel using an American artists interpretation of Indian music.

Working as an engineer at a top 40 station in the late 70's I used to get a lot of also ran albums. Most were crap but one guy blew my socks off. Rick Ruskin! Absolutely superb guitarist. "Microphone Fever" only had maybe one cut even suitable for top 40, but I loved them all enough to snag every album of his I could find.
I find for the most part the very best artists AREN'T those who get played.
Doc

Saw Seasick Steve on that Jools Holland show when it first aired here, bought all his albums since and saw him live.
He told the story how his diddly bow was given to him by Super Chikan so I got Super Chikans albums and along the way also discovered R.L. Burnside, Big Jack Johnson, K.C. Douglas and Junior Kimbrough.

Thievery Corporation were huge in the laid-back clubbing scene in the '90s in Europe alongside Kruder&Dorfmeister and to a lesser degree Groove Corporation who are a local outfit (local to me anyway). A mate of mine used to run a little indie label (http://www.discogs.com/label/Different+Drummer) through which I found Noiseshaper, Pre Fade Listening et al.

I used to follow a certain producer (Adrian Sherwood) which introduced me to all sorts of weird and wonderful stuff.

I find all my music in similar ways since I haven't owned a radio since '87.

Last edited:
Working as an engineer at a top 40 station in the late 70's I used to get a lot of also ran albums. Most were crap but one guy blew my socks off. Rick Ruskin! Absolutely superb guitarist. "Microphone Fever" only had maybe one cut even suitable for top 40, but I loved them all enough to snag every album of his I could find.
I find for the most part the very best artists AREN'T those who get played.
Doc

Very much agree. Music made for making money is not music.

Some albums from your recommended artist on cdbaby:
Rick Ruskin | CD Baby Music Store

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.