Super Quality CD Recording

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Definitely Mapleshade, their stuff is top-notch for evaluating a system.

Mapleshade: I bought 'a bunch' of MS recordings after reading many fave reviews online (and the promos on their website). The recording quality is good, but the music is quite 'ordinary' on the discs I bought.
So they may be of use in evaluating your system, but may stay on the shelf later, when you are paying attention to the music.
YMMV, of course.

any opinons on HDCD? - some universal disc players can still decode these as well as Microsoft media player (they bought the IP)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Definition_Compatible_Digital

whatever you think of the benefits of the acutal HDCD technology people using it did have to go to some additional trouble for a promised improved resolution - maybe that carries through to the production/mastering values of HDCD releases?

Last edited:
I have an old Toshiba DVD player that I have had for about 10 years and I got it on the clearance shelf at Sams club. It supports HDCD. I only have a few CD's that are labled HDCD and they do sound nice. I have a CD of Dave Brubecks Time Out. It states "20 bit mastering" on the front but makes no mention of HDCD. However the HDCD light comes on when I play it and it sounds great.

Windows Media Player also recognizes this CD as a HDCD and engages the decoder (Microsoft now owns the HDCD IP). It will not decode HDCD from a copy ripped with EAC, or when the ripped files are played from the hard drive. The physical CD must be played from the CD drive to get HDCD. A 24 bit sound card is also required for HDCD function.

Windows Media Center does not display the HDCD logo and I can't tell the difference on my $30 "500 watt" computer speakers.

Unfortunately, many newer recordings have fallen as a victim to "loudness wars" and accordingly sound okayish on lower rated equipment.
Even worse, new remasters of some old recordings often fall into the previous category.

Difficult question, I'd check Opus 3 and Proprius stuff in addition to ones mentioned in the thread.

any opinons on HDCD? - some universal disc players can still decode these as well as Microsoft media player (they bought the IP)

High Definition Compatible Digital - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

whatever you think of the benefits of the acutal HDCD technology people using it did have to go to some additional trouble for a promised improved resolution - maybe that carries through to the production/mastering values of HDCD releases?

Some recordings are astounding (Life on a String, by Laurie Anderson); Some just sound tinny. It is my understanding that the recording engineers have to make choices when encoding in HDCD.

Whenever I need a discerning CD (for example when I find it difficult to decide between two similar sounding parts) - I put this CD on: Spirited Away Soundtrack CD. The amount of environmental cues, the dynamic range, the rich variety of instruments... And the beautiful, "raw" female voice track at the end... this breathtaking CD has everything. It's varied and interesting, and hugely enjoyable to listen to. The film it came from is also beautiful, I can't recommend it enough if you haven't seen it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.