diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Music (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/music/)
-   -   black swan (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/music/184010-black-swan.html)

boris81 26th February 2011 11:34 PM

black swan

I hope Black Swan wins at the Oscars, for music at least. I saw it a very mainstream theather and their speakers were distorting horribly. All I kept thinking was "I can't wait to see *hear* this at home".

I listened to some mp3 from the soundtrack today and I find it extraordinary. I was listening with my eyes closed and at very eerie but quiet passage I opened my eyes to see my woofer doing scary things (A Swan Song for Nina).

There is some inaudible subsonic material that brings a foreboding atmosphere.

wakibaki 27th February 2011 12:22 AM

I understand that the score was deemed ineligible for the 2010 Academy Awards for Best Original Score because it owes so much to the original 'Swan Lake' of Tchaikovsky.

w

boris81 27th February 2011 04:47 PM

RANTING

Yes I'm sorry, I was ranting earlier. I have no idea what i was thinking. I got really excited and posted that without even checking if it's nominated for music. :confused::xeye::confused::scratch:

Anyway I loved the movie and I hope it gets voted the Best Movie which it is actually nominated for. I love Clint Mansel's adaptation of 'Swan Lake' and his previous work with Darren Aronofsky.

PedroDaGr8 28th February 2011 02:49 AM

Lux Aeterna from Requiem for a Dream is a brilliant piece. I have it in my workout playlist because it is just such a powerful track. It is one of those songs that everyone knows but no one knows where it is from.

boris81 28th February 2011 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 (Post 2485719)
Lux Aeterna from Requiem for a Dream is a brilliant piece. I have it in my workout playlist because it is just such a powerful track. It is one of those songs that everyone knows but no one knows where it is from.

Workout music? I find it quite gut-wrenching. It's a masterpiece.

PedroDaGr8 28th February 2011 05:24 PM

I usually hate remakes of brilliant songs but have you heard Paul Oakefolds vocal remix* of Lux Aeterna called Zoo York. Well it is kind of a vocal remix. He layers an Urdu Qwalis song over the top. The singer is Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, who is a famous Urdu singer. The lyrics are:

Farishtoun ko nahi milta
Keh woh jazba hay insani
Naseeba saath deta
Saath deta

meaning:
Angels don't get this pleasure
This is an emotion known only to mankind
If fate is by side
by side

and what he is talking about:
urdu word: Qurbani
english meaning: Sacrifice

I am trying to find a better translation (especially of the if fate is by side part) but finding people who speak Urdu is kind of hard (my wife speaks Hindi and several other languages along with English but pure Udru isn't one).

I actually have both versions on my workout play mix. The power of the music is just so invigorating. The emotions just flow through your body. It is especially good when doing a hard weight lifting workout.

*Oakenfold produced the Requiem For A Dream: Remixed CD that was released at the same time as the OST and this song (Zoo York) includes bits and pieces from several other songs on that album as well.