Rush's Moving Pictures in surround form, on Blu-ray and dvd - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Music

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st February 2011, 04:44 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Rush's Moving Pictures in surround form, on Blu-ray and dvd

Read about it here (I'm too lazy to cut-n-paste all that even though I'm the one who wrote it! ).

FYI: QuadraphonicQuad Forums - QQ Home is a great place to learn about surround music (new and old titles), which got its start way back in 1970 when the quadaphonic 4.0 channel format debuted.
Old 4th April 2011, 03:28 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Looks like some people found this early - for example this guy listened to the dvd-audio version:

post #220

He "reviewed" it by using the surround system built into his Acura TL, though he said he will use his home system as a basis for a proper review. Btw quite a few Acura, GM models and some Infinitys and Lexus models sold in the last six years include 5.1 dvd-audio systems.

And like most dvd-audio discs, this one includes a Dolby Digital track for conventional dvd players.

Edit: another early review, near bottom of page.

Last edited by River757; 4th April 2011 at 03:56 AM.
Old 8th April 2011, 03:37 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

If anyone wants to read a discussion that really gets into the details of this title's sonic and technical issues, go here:

"Rush - Moving Pictures BR 5.1" page 12

Unfortunately, according to quite a few members there and at the quadraphonicquad.com site, the surround mix is not very immersive and could be described as just "expanded stereo". I'm not surprised at all at this news, since I've heard that Alex Lifeson is not a believer in surround music. But for me and many other surround music fans, when we buy a release touting itself as "surround music" that's what we expect, to be s-u-r-r-o-u-n-d-e-d by music, pretty much all the time.

Examples of "full surround" mixes:

* The Flaming Lips' Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots
* Beck's Guero
* The Moody Blues' Seventh Sojourn on DTS-CD (uses the original quad mix from the early 70s)
* BT's This Binary Universe

Hide this!Advertise here!