White Album, the BEATLES - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Music

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd July 2003, 05:48 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default White Album, the BEATLES

Of all the releases over the years of the White Album, which do you think is the very best in audiophile terms?

Is anyone familiar with the bootleg CD of the Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab vinyl release?

I'd also be interested in audiophile releases of Abbey Road.

I know already that the EMI CD's are generally lifeless (including the 30th Anniversary reissue of the White Album).

BTW, the Yellow Submarine Songtrack reissue: LOVED IT!
Old 25th July 2003, 03:54 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Seems no one has an opinion. Maybe my question wasn't clear. I was talking about vinyl or CDs, and the various pressings. Some suggest the Japanese pressings are superior to the 1987 EMI N. American release.

Maybe I'm just out of date, but in my opinion, no other band was able to look so far forward and so far back. I find it interesting in Sgt. Pepper the Edwardian references...

Who remembers the excitement when Sgt. Pepper was released? Ya gotta admit there aren't any parallels today. Good artists, yes, but "nothin's gonna change my world..."

The Rolling Stones are coming back to Toronto.... hmmm.... I can only hear the Beatles on old recordings, but that excites me more than Mick prancing around on stage again!
Old 25th July 2003, 04:50 PM   #3
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I guess I just never thought of it as an audiophile album. The sound is so processed and artificial (deliberately so) that the differences between pressings and CDs seem to really be matters of noise level (LP) or EQ (LP and CD). It's just not ear candy. Some darn fine music, though.
Old 25th July 2003, 06:01 PM   #4
tom1356 is offline tom1356  United States
diyAudio Member

eila meet http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/.
http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/ this is eila...
I hope you two will be very happy together.
Old 27th July 2003, 03:41 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Iím not sure what you mean by artificial sound, but I have to agree that the differences between pressings are basically matters of noise level and EQ. But the MFSL LP was supposed to be remastered with a significantly improved sound (like the Yellow Submarine Songtrack).

To be honest, I wore out my White Album about 30 years ago playing it on a rooftop. I havenít had a copy since and have hardly heard any of it since then. I donít think Iíve heard it on an audiophile system, but anyway I have a great audiophile version in my head! It's just one of those albums that take me back to some pleasant memories, and if I were to look for it, I'd want to get the best sound I could, that's all.

Steve, you telling me I don't belong here? I'll check out the other forum. Thanks pal.
Old 27th July 2003, 04:33 AM   #6
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I've got the MFSL LP. Nice pressing, quiet surfaces, tipped-up bass

Hide this!Advertise here!