Citibank New Commercial Theme - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Music

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th July 2003, 12:07 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Negative Design Send a message via Yahoo to Negative Design
no, you phrased it perfectly fine,

I phrased it wrong, i know u didnt mean it in a bad way

i dont want to go back to 56k but im affraid i will have to

thanks for the sites and help

i saw the other ppl search for the SAME song too..lol
and i searched on ther forums too but none answered.

"DIYing their stereo and using the computer"

well speaking of which, do u know anything about the logitech Z 640 5.1 speakers? i need some new spks, and im not into DIY audio..yet..

thanks
Old 14th July 2003, 01:33 AM   #12
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Negative Design
i dont want to go back to 56k but im affraid i will have to

thanks for the sites and help
I've been using www.yellowstone.net for a couple of years. It's never down. $10 a month. Unlimited service-no cutoffs except when you walk away from the computer for 20 minutes. If you are downloading, it won't cut you off even if you are away for many hours. A friend has downloaded 3,000 songs the past year and a half by setting his downloads before he goes to bed, and waking up with the downloads all done. He did this by using Yellowstone dialup. Some companies like NetZero knock you off after a couple of hours. Not these guys. Sure, dialup is slow, but at least these people don't cut you off. Check "ISP" on their home page. If you absolutely have to go to 56K, at least you shouldn't have to pay a lot to do it. Freedomlist lists some other ISP's that are $8 a month or less and also good.

As for online games, I don't use them. However, other people at Freedomlist who use dialup say that Yellowstone does not knock them off even when they are playing for five or six hours or more. Seems to me that is a lot of time to be at a keyboard, but anyway they aren't getting knocked off. I think Yellowstone's website says something about a 200 hour a month limit but they apparently never enforce it. I know people who are on it for more than 200 hours a month, I'll tell you that.

It obvously will be a disappointment to go from broadband to dialup. But if you choose the right ISP, at least you can do the same things you were doing before, just slower. I don't know if the online games even go slower on dialup, I only know that other people say they can play them with no cutoffs.

Quote:
i saw the other ppl search for the SAME song too..lol
and i searched on ther forums too but none answered.
Yes, and I also noticed they asked some weeks ago and they posted their Email address. If I were you, I would Email them and ask if they found out the song yet. If they haven't and you do find the song, Email them back.

Quote:
well speaking of which, do u know anything about the logitech Z 640 5.1 speakers? i need some new spks, and im not into DIY audio..yet..
Can't help you there. But I do think that if you start a thread here, you probably can find out a way to build a new subwoofer for cheap that will blow the doors off anything you can buy at a reasonable price. I think subs are the key to a computer speaker setup. www.partsexpress.com generally has something on sale from a quality speaker manufacturer, and the people here will be glad to tell you how to build the box.
Old 14th July 2003, 02:02 AM   #13
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

PS: At www.pricewatch.com I saw that Logitech Z 640 for $61.00, delivery included in the price.
Old 14th July 2003, 02:11 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Negative Design Send a message via Yahoo to Negative Design
if only there was a guide that shows how to build a speaker system i'd love to build a system, my current is a benwin 4.1 (its ok but i want more) do u have a diy system of any kind?

B4 i had DSL i had Metconnect, 100% free 100% no banners or bs but it only available in NY, luckily im in NYC i rarely got cut off, like once or twice in a 6 day period i would just leave it on at night to DL huge files, and i played online games all the time with it.the only down side is..that once you connect yuo shouldnt disconnect..bcuz its HARD to get back on, so i would leave it on for HOURS, but i cant complain since its free i've never paid for dialup....ONLY when i had my webtv...

"Yes, and I also noticed they asked some weeks ago and they posted their Email address. If I were you, I would Email them and ask if they found out the song yet. If they haven't and you do find the song, Email them back"

I emailed but got no response i assume that person was unsuccessful in her search.
Old 14th July 2003, 02:18 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

at pricewatch i saw one for 34, around 40$ shipped, im thinking of buying one but im still exploring the DIY route since this would give me A LOT more power, the Z 680 version is 400$
so there an obvios difference in these two.

on ebay i see 400 w RMS subs that are cheaper than retail whole systems, if only i knew how to use one...
Old 14th July 2003, 03:53 AM   #16
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Negative Design
on ebay i see 400 w RMS subs that are cheaper than retail whole systems, if only i knew how to use one...
Is Metconnect still operating?

When they say "400 Watt sub" I think they are talking about the amount of power the sub can absorb, not how much power is in the sub amp. Are you sure these are powered subs you are talking about?

To hook a powered sub up to your computer, get a Y connector from the Line Out of Speaker Out of your Sound Card. Get a plug that goes from one branch of the Y to go to the subwoofer input, and one branch of the Y to go to the satellite speakers. That should work.
Old 14th July 2003, 03:54 AM   #17
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

There is a way to hook up a non-powered sub, too, if the speaker system you have now is a three-parter.
Old 14th July 2003, 04:12 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

3 parter what do u mean?
Old 14th July 2003, 05:03 AM   #19
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

You know-a computer speaker setup with two small satellites and subwoofer. The subwoofer generally has it's own amplifier inside the box.

Many of these subwoofers have a 15 watt amp inside the sub box, and I was thinking that you could just substitute a better box and driver, but keep the amp. Just build a better box and speaker around the already existing sub amp, LOL.

For a computer setup, 15 watts is pretty loud. For many years, a 15 or 20 watt per channel receiver was what people had for their home system, and it was considered plenty loud. Indeed, for tube amps, 15 or 20 watts is still considered a good size amp.

So it can drive things loud.
Old 14th July 2003, 05:10 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

ohh ok, well i have 4 satelites... umm i think i understand
i gotta do a LOT of reading b4 i can begin to comprehend this..lol

on another note u know where i can premade DIY speakers?

Hide this!Advertise here!