Delicate sound of thunder!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If I remember well: Chiller from the label Telarc has some impressive thunder, but no echoes. But it's only a very small part of the complete CD.

I'm also thinking about stakkato (a test cd from audion) and maybe some parts of Art of Noise, but my memory is a bit fading here and my music collection is unfotunately a bit of a mess at the moment.

By the way, Pink Floyd has an album called "delicate sound of thunder" but as far as I remember is's the Pink Floyd album which has by far the worst sound quality...

Hi Paul1234,
my thread starter had the Floyd album in mind.
I have a few bits of thunder on some cd's but they are only short pieces which I find frustrating. There are some sound effect cd's that I have found that contain examples of thunder so I might explore one or two of those.
However I would really like a long and very well recorded sample of a heavy storm. I talked with someone who lives in northern India and he was telling me just how impressive the thunder was where he lived. He is surrounded by mountains.......
Of course the real reason I want the sound of thunder is because it gives your speakers a really good workout!

There is a track on the "We Live Here" album by Pat Metheny, - To The End of The World. There is a thunderstorm about 8 minutes in (yes, it's 10 mins long). The story goes that it happened as they were recording and decided to capitalise on it.

If you like PM then you will love the track anyway, if not it is a great thunderstorm snippet.

thunder from clouds and steel

Sutton/Miller ltd Record SB4 4507 "Extra 4449 North" has one of my favorite cuts of thunder, side 1 track 3. First you hear crickets and birds, then the thunder of a summer storm a couple of miles away. Then a crossing bell. Then 4449 blasts through the room at 67 mph with an 18 car train in tow. 4449 is a Southern Pacific Daylight Steam locomotive, about 4000 horspower. Address in 1976, 8913 Sunset Blvd, LA, CA, 90069. Marvelous use of the signal to noise available on an LP. "CD-4 Quadradisc" whatever that means. Produced by Brad Miller. Also carrying text for Mobile Fidelity Production.

Hi Jerryo,

i live in india as well, and am in the middle of a heavy (and extended) monsoon. the next time there is a storm brewing i can record some samples and somehow send them to you. i don't have much by way of recording gear but will see what i can get my hands on. we do get some spectacular thunder here but then its tough to imagine un-spectacular thunder!

Cheers
mymindinside

Last edited:
Hello mymindinside,
that is a very generous offer that you make. It would be brilliant to hear the thunder during your monsoon season. Do let me know if you can do a good recording; I wonder what sort of microphone set up would be best to record thunder in stereo?
I hope you are managing to stay dry and safe.
What is it with thunder that impresses us so much?

I purchased a number of CDs of storms but don't know whereabouts as my drives crashed and there's thousands of cds in tubs - the rain sounds alone are interesting as played on various speakers - my Karlson with internal slotted tube was the most "wet" sounding with one speaker. freesound has a number of recordings - some may be good
http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=2523

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.