Samba Squad, Toronto street band, 119 dBC peak

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This weekend was annual "Salsa on St. Clair" street fair in Toronto, for Latin American festivities. Was thrilled once again by the Samba Squad.

About 15-20 players. 119 dBC, Radio Shack SPL, fast, peak (mostly 116 dBC peaks, 110 dBC routine loud parts, and 100 dBA routine loud parts). Readings taken like from place of that dude with the Tilley Hat in picture. Not bad for all acoustic instruments in the open air (but notice the building 8-12 meters behind them.

Tried their CD at home but had trouble breaking 100 dBC at my sweet spot seat, mostly due to demands on my ESL tweeters as the limiting factor (well, my nerve cranking up the knob really was the limiting factor).

Catch them on Yahoo at

Salsa on St. Clair - Samba Squad Performance (II) on Yahoo! Video

Of course, you really had to be there. Gosh, I wish organ music was that sexy.

Attachments

• SSQ front 88.jpg
    SSQ front 88.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 71
  • SSQ side 87.jpg
    SSQ side 87.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Some of us organ fans over in the subwoofer forum watch recordings on our computer spectrum analyzers to see what "feet" of pipe is present on recordings... and what we thought ought to be but isn't.

I have a CD of the Samba Squad and "watched" it on the spectrum analyzer. Although recorded in a studio ("20 Hz Studios") sounds similar to the street.

"Samba Squad: Batuque"

The biggest drums are around 65 Hz. The slightly higher drums are 105 Hz.

My hottest recordings these days are, I am sorry to say, just the well-known "flavor of the month" - Gustavo Dudamel and the Simon Bolivar Youth Orchestra. DGG has been great with "Rite" (no need to ask... but also has the underground surprise, Night of the Mayans) and also "Fiesta" which is incendiary Latin American compositions (no, no El Condor Passa). I hope the LA Philharmonic is as good as those guys.

Last edited:
In the Rite of Spring, alluded to above, the side drum is about 41 Hz (with the second side coming in around 47). The large kettledrum is a hair higher than the drums Samba Squad uses.

In Night of the Mayans, also on the Dudamel disk "Rite," a side drum is tuned for 35 Hz. I say "a side drum" because all kinds of drums are being beaten wildly and at low Hzs.

Last edited:
Interesting.

For car engine power, folks used to say there's no substitute for "cubes." But now a days, peak rpm provides some substitution... but not all. Similarly for cone area versus excursion.

A true horn provides better loading of the heavy block of cardboard known as the cone. But does the cone in the mouth of a horn have to displace as much of the "thicker" air as with a cone direct driving in "thinner"air?

I say this too often here, but for serious "fast" bass peaks, motional feedback is great.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.