Do people listen to monophonic sound?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
mono engineering triumphs

I received 2 weekends ago a 3 foot stack of organ records, mostly mono. Considering how little organ music the local classical music station will play, this is GREAT!! One of them is a C.R. Fine engineered Mercury LP, recorded on a Fairchild?? mono tape deck in 1957. The dynamic range is AMAZING, from really soft (with typical pops & clicks) to REALLY LOUD!!! I didn't know LP's could even go that loud. Mercury MG50169, Marcel Dupre Organ Recital. With mono I don't have to stand in the middle of the room to hear the best parts, I can lie on the couch and not worry I'm not missing something.

The big advantage to stereo is that you can separate the individual instruments easier, and most often that's what you want. That's what stereo's all about, not realism and it's why 5.1 and 7.1 are OK, but not to die for.

Mono is OK, and every bit as good for some material.

w

Mono CDs

I looking for hifi mono recordings on CD to expedite my speaker tweaking. I find that smushing a stereo recording into mono via the preamp masks the detail that must have been there in a mono recording. Other than my recently released Monk/Coltrane Carnegie Hall disc from '57 I have nothing other than solo stuff to go on, and that doesn't address the problem of massed strings or voices or brass or all of the above. I do have the Beatles in mono on LP but we don't want to wear that out do we?

I listen to a single speaker with a single driver that is very lofi (old cheap denon rear surround speaker) in a workshop, and although it doesn't sound as good as a normal hifi stereo in terms of fidelity ect, it is very easy to listen to all day, no fatigue and no distraction, I can concentrate on what I'm doing without my subconscious going crazy trying to localize sound :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.