What Do You Think of U2? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Music

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st June 2003, 03:29 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default What Do You Think of U2?

What do you think of U2? They are or are one of my favorite band(s). They have produced music that I believe has changed my life. Not only is it lyrics, but the sound. The Edge is the master of digital guitar work, in my opinion. Bono is one of the greatest vocalists of all time, also in my opinion. Thanks to them some of my favorite producers are Brian Eno, Steve Lillywhite, and Daniel Lanois. Their music is simply beautiful.
Old 1st June 2003, 10:16 AM   #2
diyAudio Senior Member

Default U2? ME2!

Hi,

Definetely in my top 10 of the best rockbands ever.

Cheers,
Old 2nd June 2003, 05:51 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Da5id4Vz
Default One

I saw Bono and Edge perform at the Lincoln Memorial for the Millennium celebration in Washington DC.

We went down the night before for the sound checks and tech rehearsals and were able to stand very close to the stage. There was no one around except crew and technicians. It was just like having a private performance.
Old 2nd June 2003, 11:40 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Back in the mid 80's I was working r@r. Worked U2 a couple of thime.(unforgetable fire tour I think) I remember being quite impressed by the entire band. Hard working with talent. They started to get quite pretentious after that. If I wanted to be preached to, I know where to go.
Old 2nd June 2003, 03:40 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Da5id4Vz
I've had some unpleasant insights to the personalities of a few big name performers during concerts. The view from the wings is so much different from what the audience sees. In some cases it took years before I could listen to the music again.

I suppose w/ U2 U R taking about the political message...

I know a lot of people still have issues with the specific choices of agenda and the forum that they are presented in. On the issues of debt relief I tend to agree. The message about human suffering isn’t lost, but the path to relief is a little too naive.

I saw a Bono interview on PBS recently where he addressed his thoughts about being a rock and roll guy with a political agenda. He was very quick to point out the absurdity and intangibility of the connection between the two. Specifically he talked about having access to a meeting with the President of the United States. For him its a function of linking himself to a preexisting movement and doing what he can to help. Feeling like his good fortune from his work can have some impact. I don’t know if he follows through on this attachment with his own financial contributions.
Old 2nd June 2003, 04:27 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

U2 in my opinion is a very talented Band and I`m a little Biased because I`m Irish LOL...I never had a chance to meet them personally but I did meet Delores from the Cranberries....her home town in southern Ireland just happens to be the same as mine...I talked breifly with her in a pub a few years back and laughed because she was 6 months pregnant and still managed a few pints....my cousin introduced me to her as she frequents her celtic craft store occaisonally

Cheers!!The DIRT®
Old 2nd June 2003, 05:26 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Excellent band with a very unique sound. I am also one who could do without the political agenda, but whatever... I just ignore it. I do think their production is as lame as it gets!
Steve
Old 3rd June 2003, 06:00 PM   #8
chops is offline chops  United States
diyAudio Member

I think U2 is a very good band indeed. I have always liked their music. One of their best albums was "The Joshua Tree", which I have the 24KT gold plated (Original Master Recording) cd which sounds excellent. If you are a fan of U2, this is the cd to have. Nothing compares!!

The Cranberries are just about as good. In fact, they were the very first band I ever went to see in concert, and I had a blast. That was back in 1993 or '94 and I still remember it like it was just yesterday!

But with most bands that are still around after a lot of years, I think their older stuff was better than their new stuff. Just like Depeche Mode, The Cure, Duran Duran, Pet Shop Boys, etc...., all of their older music was much better than their new material, IMHO.
Old 3rd June 2003, 06:48 PM   #9
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

This is one of those bands I Just Don´t Get. Like Bruce Springsteen. Certainly competent enough, but I´m missing what´s special about them (other than their PR, which is a product of true genius).

The fact that Paul O´Neill actually held up Bono as some sort of serious thinker signalled to me that my distrust of our Administration was well-placed.
Old 3rd June 2003, 08:01 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default The view is different...

For example, I had always heard that Sting was one of "those" rockstars. Well, an afternoon playing soccer before the chairs went down shot that down for me. He was interested in normal life, if anything connected with rockandroll can be considered normal. Not too stuck up to not come down and be with the littles.

Its like some artist insist that the hall be empty during soundchecks. What BS. The folks there aren't impressed with you - they are there because they are getting paid to do something and you are slowing them down.

Hide this!Advertise here!