What Do You Think of U2?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What do you think of U2? They are or are one of my favorite band(s). They have produced music that I believe has changed my life. Not only is it lyrics, but the sound. The Edge is the master of digital guitar work, in my opinion. Bono is one of the greatest vocalists of all time, also in my opinion. Thanks to them some of my favorite producers are Brian Eno, Steve Lillywhite, and Daniel Lanois. Their music is simply beautiful.

One

I saw Bono and Edge perform at the Lincoln Memorial for the Millennium celebration in Washington DC.

We went down the night before for the sound checks and tech rehearsals and were able to stand very close to the stage. There was no one around except crew and technicians. It was just like having a private performance.

Back in the mid 80's I was working r@r. Worked U2 a couple of thime.(unforgetable fire tour I think) I remember being quite impressed by the entire band. Hard working with talent. They started to get quite pretentious after that. If I wanted to be preached to, I know where to go.

I've had some unpleasant insights to the personalities of a few big name performers during concerts. The view from the wings is so much different from what the audience sees. In some cases it took years before I could listen to the music again.

I suppose w/ U2 U R taking about the political message...

I know a lot of people still have issues with the specific choices of agenda and the forum that they are presented in. On the issues of debt relief I tend to agree. The message about human suffering isn’t lost, but the path to relief is a little too naive.

I saw a Bono interview on PBS recently where he addressed his thoughts about being a rock and roll guy with a political agenda. He was very quick to point out the absurdity and intangibility of the connection between the two. Specifically he talked about having access to a meeting with the President of the United States. For him its a function of linking himself to a preexisting movement and doing what he can to help. Feeling like his good fortune from his work can have some impact. I don’t know if he follows through on this attachment with his own financial contributions.

U2 in my opinion is a very talented Band and I`m a little Biased because I`m Irish LOL...I never had a chance to meet them personally but I did meet Delores from the Cranberries....her home town in southern Ireland just happens to be the same as mine...I talked breifly with her in a pub a few years back and laughed because she was 6 months pregnant and still managed a few pints....my cousin introduced me to her as she frequents her celtic craft store occaisonally

Cheers!!The DIRT®

I think U2 is a very good band indeed. I have always liked their music. One of their best albums was "The Joshua Tree", which I have the 24KT gold plated (Original Master Recording) cd which sounds excellent. If you are a fan of U2, this is the cd to have. Nothing compares!!

The Cranberries are just about as good. In fact, they were the very first band I ever went to see in concert, and I had a blast. That was back in 1993 or '94 and I still remember it like it was just yesterday!

But with most bands that are still around after a lot of years, I think their older stuff was better than their new stuff. Just like Depeche Mode, The Cure, Duran Duran, Pet Shop Boys, etc...., all of their older music was much better than their new material, IMHO. ;)

This is one of those bands I Just Don´t Get. Like Bruce Springsteen. Certainly competent enough, but I´m missing what´s special about them (other than their PR, which is a product of true genius).

The fact that Paul O´Neill actually held up Bono as some sort of serious thinker signalled to me that my distrust of our Administration was well-placed.

The view is different...

For example, I had always heard that Sting was one of "those" rockstars. Well, an afternoon playing soccer before the chairs went down shot that down for me. He was interested in normal life, if anything connected with rockandroll can be considered normal. Not too stuck up to not come down and be with the littles.

Its like some artist insist that the hall be empty during soundchecks. What BS. The folks there aren't impressed with you - they are there because they are getting paid to do something and you are slowing them down.

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
SY said:
This is one of those bands I Just Don´t Get. Like Bruce Springstten. Certainly competent enough, but I´m missing what´s special about them (other than their PR, which is a product of true genius).

I think there was a great change in popular music in the mid-to-late sixties and U2 carried on the flame, at least when they started out.

If they were born ten years earlier, U2 would have been at Woodstock.

In an era when rock was dominated by bands in costumes and elaborate stage shows, synthesizers and computer generated beats, U2 appeared in jeans and T shirts. They sang meaningful lyrics about the situation they were in. Their style was the traditional lead guitar, bass, keyboard, drums.

While the American and English bands of the sixties were a result of civil rights movement and Vietnam, U2 grew out of the Irish situation. The parallels are enormous between early U2 and the Jefferson Airplane, Doors, etc of a decade or so earlier.

Success Gone To Their Heads....

I have worked one of their shows (Pop-Mart tour) and have the local crew shirt to prove it.
The staging was impressive (mega tv screen), the sound was impressive, but I can take or leave their music - they always sound out of tune to me.
For really good rock, go and see an AC/DC show.
I have a good friend who used to work in a pub that they used to frequent - she says they were arrogant prima-donnas.

Eric.

Confusitron said:
What do you think of U2? They are or are one of my favorite band(s). They have produced music that I believe has changed my life. Not only is it lyrics, but the sound. The Edge is the master of digital guitar work, in my opinion. Bono is one of the greatest vocalists of all time, also in my opinion. Thanks to them some of my favorite producers are Brian Eno, Steve Lillywhite, and Daniel Lanois. Their music is simply beautiful.
Hello Confusitron,

Though I can say I do like U2, in fact that what is today known as U2 is more product of the Eno and Lanois ideas, works and influence than U2 itself. Before their cooperation U2 was just one ordinary rock band. Their music almost completely changed with the Unforgettable Fire.

Pedja

The fire was a turning point

But many older fans will tell you that this was infact their downfall. I listened to them on an old BBC Live recording the otherday. Perhaps it is because I remember it more from my now fading youth :bigeyes: but I find that I enjoy those early albums much more. Part of it is for sure my dislike for complicated production of music.

I remember being greatly impressed with them when I did work that tour oh 20 years ago - they carried much more sound than light. It was basically two trusses of par cans without gels. They carried 24 subbass bins with many racks of Crown amps.

If you see one of thier tours today, I pity the local crew who had to hump all that stuff. I believe they have missplaced the prioritys.

U2 is one of the few bands living music. When i grew up i liked more
the dark side of the independent scene back then. Nonetheless they created
another kind. U2 is unique and genious in their very own way, something that
would really left a nothing if never existed.

VEC7OR said:
Personally I dont like rock music (U2, Depeche Mode etc) but I saw how U2 performs Live - I apreciate how professionaly they work and perform.

The most professional band I have seen live was YES, and they play their instruments arguably better than anyone,,,lyrics are a little obtuse, but the music and energy is always an emotional experience.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.