Aqualung

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not having heard it for at least 2 decades, I bought myself a copy for Xmas...
(as well as 'The Court of the Crimson King').
I could have done without the 'extras' they put on to fill out the CD, but am still amazed by this music, despite the bad bass/drum mix that all the early Tull records suffered from. My faves are 'Hymn 43' & 'Mother Goose' - Mother Goose has replaced Vivaldi's concerto #6 mvt 1 as my current Ohrwurm....

I can still play nearly all the songs on that album.

For me, that's when Tull started their downhill run- This Was, Stand Up, and Benefit were brilliant and eclectic, with a creativity that they never again achieved. That said, the guitar solo on the title track is still one of my all-time favorites.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
My, in my youth I was a real JethroTull fan too, besides The Doors
I knew all their albums
Their music had this special kind of magical something that is hard to explain
But because of little money, my only album was the brown double album with a live concert on one side, and lots of nice pictures
Funny, I just recorded a recent concert
Old guys now, and IanAnderson looks like a tired chimney sweep
But nice to see they are still alive and kicking

Back then, I think the bass player founded an american group, Wild Turkey

Today, of these old guys, noone rocks like David Gilmour, he is better than ever
Deep Purple, with this brilliant new younger guitarist, fantastic
Unfortunetely, none of these old guys makes much new stuff

I liked them up to 'Living in the Past"; I'll definitely be jamming along to this Fri night after a couple of lagers....
re:'the bass player founded an american group, Wild Turkey ' Glen Cornick was a great bassist IMHO; not sure if Wild Turkey are American, but their 1st album had a couple of good songs on it...
I think we're all giving our age away....

P.S. The album sounds better in the low end on my 2x 6" 2.5 way cheap poly cone system than my 'better' 10" +5" +T Peerless 3 way...

Last edited:
Its the wistful little tunes on Aqualung that keep me going back - Cheap Day Return and Wond'ring Aloud especially.

Of course, in my yoof, it was Aqualung and Locomotive Breath! The guitar riff on LB is as evocative of the times for me (and as ubiquitous) as the anthemic picked notes played by every spotty teenage guitar slinger in every music shop the world over - Don Don Daaah, Don Di De Dah, Don Don Dah, Da Daaah... "We all came out to Montreaux...."

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.