Need Recommendation : Bass Dynamics Testing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello All!

My chums and I are planning a bookshelf speaker smack-down. I have devised a double-blind test involving three sets of speakers. One of the main tests will be bass dynamics. I am looking for any excellent recording, of any genre, with spectacular bass dynamics for this test. I'll be driving the speakers with my 1000W/ch (peak) SoundCraftsman Class D amp.

My first idea was the 1812 Overture, because some military-orchestra recordings use live 105mm cannons. BUT, the only recordings I can find that use live artillery, commercial or otherwise, have the "pleasing" sonic resonance of a Coors can, probably recorded with a condenser mic held by a spectator, generally aimed in the direction of the source...

So, if you folks have any recommendations, 1812 Overture or otherwise, for a recording with spectacular bass dynamics, I would be greatly appreciative!

Thanks !

Hello. How about "Yumigahama" or "Monocrome II" by "The Ondekoza", Japanese traditional drum group? I found some at amazon.com. You can guess how "bass" form a pictue of Japanese drum on CD.
Sincerely,

I appreciate the reply! I'll check it out.

I actually found what I was looking for : Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Symphony (Telarc) used vintage 19th Century cannons that broke windows 300 feet away, and reportedly attains 6Hz. The CD I found is here :
Tchaikovsky 1812 Overture Capriccio Italien Cossac : Erich Kunzel & Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra : Concord Music Group

They claim it is an audiophile's dream. We'll see, I suppose.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.