Like Bluegrass? A great new album

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK, I just got another package from Rounder Records (damn the net is sweet for someone like me with oddball taste in music), and I now have all of Lynn Morris' work. I'm impressed.

When I'm in a used CD store (which is frequently), I routinely buy anything on Rounder, or Philo. I've yet to be dissapointed.

Sheldon

The 'net has devastated the local CD/record shops around here, but in recompense, we get more access to more music than ever. And useful reccos like this- bluegrass is second only to jazz in my life, and so many of my favorites have shuffled off their mortal coil. It's great to find a new one. Thanks, Sheldon.

What is Bluegrass?

Really..probably heard it before but did not know that it had a name.

I am always into new music. But instead of just buying this latest cd / lp you mentioned. Does anyone maybe have a suggestion or top 5 of the best bluegrass albums?

10 min later..just listened to a couple of samples of the Lynn Morris band..sounds like country! The only country I have in my collection is Don Williams.great voice and music. But generally country is one of the least attractive types of music for me...

So are there maybe bluegrass/jazz crossover albums worth looking into?

Cheers,
Bas

Bluegrass is much like country, and is really part of the roots of what country has evolved into. Modern country in this country is more like rock music than what country used to be. Country music is a mix of cowboy western music, mountain folk music, and other traditional music influences.

Don Williams is much more traditional country and much closer to bluegrass than many of the modern country artists that are on the radio today.

Here's a bit of bluegrass history:

http://www.roughstock.com/history/bgrass.html

Sheldon

A decent 'survey course' in bluegrass appreciation might be the 1976(?) album by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, called Will the Circle Be Unbroken. Lots of the then-living greats participated in that effort.

They released a sequel a few years back - I know that Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson were on it, but I never listened to it so I can't recommend it one way or t'other.

More recently is the soundtrack to 'O Brother Where Art Thou', which is pretty good.

I grew up in bluegrass and old time music country. It really speaks from a soulful place much like the old Mississippi blues. Call it 'primitive' or 'outsider' music. They kept it real.

Modern 'country music' is an affront to the memory of bluegrass, and really bears no relationship, beyond (occasionally) the voices having a southern accent.

/andrew - transplanted southern gentleman

There's a bluegrass band called The Raquette River Rounders featuring Danny Gotham and John Kribs worth looking into.

And a terrific group featuring celtic/bluegrass, and some of the best finger-picking you ever heard called The Mckrells.
website

some free downloads, I believe. Their newest is great, and "This Past Year" is even better.

Lance and Leske have over 12 albums out, and if you like pickin', check em all out.

Shady Grove is a couple of Bay Area guys (David Grisman and Jerry Garcia) doing a collection of Old Timey songs. Wonderful music, wonderful performance, excellent recording. There's even a cool cut where Grisman and Garcia switch instruments.

And David Grisman is the answer to lawriebuck's question. Two more words: Norman Blake.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.