best psychedelic rock synth solo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys, I'm looking to expand my audio palette.
I love the sound of analog synthesizers but they are rarely used to their full potential IMO. I'm basically looking for energetic, involving synth solos like the ones on some of the Doors songs ("light my fire", "riders on the storm").

Can you guys recommend me artists/songs that do some great synth solos? This doesn't have to be limited to the psychedelic rock genre.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi Boris;

If you can, listen to Rick Wakeman's No Earthly Connection or White Rock or The Six Wives of Henry VIII or even Criminal Record

Yes' Close to the Edge, Going for the One and Relayer are good.

You might also like Dominic Troiano We All Need Love from the album Fret Fever

Genesis' Selling Enland By the Pound has some great synth work in Cinema Show and Firth of Fifth although not that energetic perhaps.

Marillion has some pretty good riffs on some of their albums.

ELP was mostly organ but Tarkus and Brain Salad Surgery are great keyboard albums.

UKs first two ablums had tons of good keyboard work (UK and Danger Money)

There was a band called Saga that has some good keyboard (and guitar) work on albums like Silent Knight and Worlds Apart

Another good band was FM, their first albums Black Noise and Direct to Disk has lots of great keyboard stuff on it. Their main keyboard player Nash the Slash has some very energetic solo stuff.

Sorry to drone on. You may already know all of this.

Happy searching

Matt

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Check out the early work of Klaus Schulze. In particular Moondawn, and X. The latter (particularly Heinrich von Kliest) is an unacknowledged masterpiece that would stand against any composition written during the 2nd half of the 20th century.

I will be checking that out. I like Tangerine Dream and would like to get some of the solo works.

Quote from AdamThorne

"Somehow I thought I'd see SoundChaser001 in here...."

I guess I have a bit of a bias...:)

Boris81,
If you like jazz/fusion (I know, you asked for psychedelic) Alan Holdsworth does some awesome solos on a synthaxe which sounds very much like a keyboard synth. I would recommend Atavachron (cool Star Trek references), Wardenclyffe Tower and possibly Metal Fatigue.

This is exciting! :D
Thank you for the many recommendations, I'm ready to dive in.

Check out the early work of Klaus Schulze. In particular Moondawn, and X...

I recently discovered Klaus Schulze and Walter/Wendy Carlos, the latter is becoming a personal favorite. The eery soundscapes really do it for me but I started this thread looking to find something faster paced.

Boris81,
If you like jazz/fusion (I know, you asked for psychedelic) ...

soundchaser001,
You are giving me more than I can go over in a week! :p
I'm going to try and listen to everything that people recommend and see what rings to my taste so don't be limited by genre.

Psychedelic rock is more organ / keyboards than synth ...
Organ/keyboards apply here too, especially if there's bands who combine it with electric guitars. :D

I will be checking that out. I like Tangerine Dream and would like to get some of the solo works.
Hi
I agree. Tange is full of good keyboard works. Also the Edgar Froese solo works are a upstep level on keyboards solos.
Try the first one EF solo, AQUA album: on the title track there is a long stunning mellotron solo.
Hear music samples here: Amazon.com: Aqua: Edgar Froese: Music

Also on the soundtrack: KAMIKAZE 1989 there is various ''short'' songs plenty of provocative solos: Kamikaze 1989: Edgar Froese: Amazon.de: Musik

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.