Other rock bands using Hammond organ like Deep Purple (Jon Lord)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up, doesn't it?

Of course many, if not most, rock bands hauled Hammond B3's with Leslies around in the early/mid 70's.

Allman Brothers (Greg was always at his B3, with a voice to match), The James Gang ("Tend My Garden", "Take A Look Around"), Focus, Boston, Grand Funk, ELP, The J. Geils Band, etc, etc.

But to get your fill of that brutish organ in the foreground, check out Niacin (vitamin B3, get it?) A trio with B3 instead of guitar.

Maybe not as heavy as Deep Purple ....

Procul Harem, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Yes, and even Pink Floyd, apparently.
Not, however, my first thought of Steppenwolf. The organ used on 'Born to be Wild' is, allegedly, a Lowry.
From memory, my first recognition of the B3 (as used in a rock as opposed to a jazz context) was on the classic Brian Auger hit 'This Wheel's On Fire'.

Cheers,
Ian

Don`t forget

Any one here that knows other rock bands using Hammond organ like Deep Purple (Jon Lord) used to do in the good old days?

The sounds stills amaze me (at 120dB) :D

Listen to Vanill Fudge. Heavy and lots of B3 played by Mark Stein. And the not unknown Tim Bogert on bass a and Carmine Appice on drums.The old stuff of course.
Rare Bird have also some nice stuff.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.