Other rock bands using Hammond organ like Deep Purple (Jon Lord)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This thread made me think of (among others) Jerry Corbetta and some Sugarloaf tunes. I've read an essay which singled out "Green Eyed Lady" as another well known example of this B3 percussion. I believe it was a link from that big list in post #10.

You are right about "Green Eyed Lady", one of a kind.

If you listen to side 1 of "Tarkus" by ELP you will hear a similar percussive style. Haven't heard that in a while, note to self: listen to Tarkus, side 1.

What made the Hammond B3 unique was that all the notes were created from tonewheels. Motor driven spinning mechanical gear-like objects that had their output detected by pickups.

The B3 and other tone wheel Hammonds had two switches to operate the motor running the tone wheels. A common technique for making "synthesizer sounds" on a Hammond was to hit the start switch while playing. This caused a slow down of the tone wheels creating a global polyphonic pitch bend. Excessive use was known to smoke a motor or blow the switch.

There were several retro - fits to create pitch bend effects for Hammonds in the 70's, but they weren't around for long.

Some believe that this was the method used by Steely Dan on Do It Again, but they used some type of "cheap plastic organ" and got the pitch bend by working the power switch.

What made the Hammond B3 unique was that all the notes were created from tonewheels. . . .
I don't who the guy is in this video clip - he's obviously a Hammond employee, and he's certainly trying to sell you a "New Hammond B3". "Meet the New Hammond B3"

The first thing I found interesting from his presentation is that a lot of things about the original B3 which would be considered "compromises", "shortcomings", or "faults" from a purely engineering perspective, are admired as "personality traits" of the instrument. The second notable point is that it took many years - even decades - to design a "modern" version of a product whose basic technology was out-of-date by 1960, and definitely obsolete by 1970. And the real shocker, if I understand the video presentation correctly, is that replicating those compromises, shortcomings, and faults posed the greatest engineering challenges!

Dale

p.s. - Whether by accident or intentional, I don't think he ever mentioned the Leslie speaker. Does anybody know of a credible electronic replacement for that item?

"Early "Blood, Sweat and Tears" with Al Kooper"

any particular tracks?
Ummm . . . caught me with my pants down there. Been too long since I got out "Child is Father to the Man". What I recall is organ riffs, bridges, and backup parts being scattered through it.

I recently heard (for the first time in DECADES) the "Bury My Body" performance from "Kooper Sessions". Same thing - no real "organ solo" per se, but several places where you hear a few notes and say to yourself, "Hey - that B3 really puts the icing on the cake!".

Dale

I was in the gym today. Since there was no one else there I got them to put the XM on classic rock instead of the usual thumpa-thumpa crap. In between the Ozzie and Jimi the distinctive Hammond sound came out of the speakers. It was the Zombies, Time of the Season from 1969.

They had a few hits in the mid to late 60's and split up before Time of the Season became a hit. Keyboard player Rod Argent formed his own band called Argent, and reformed the Zombies twice since the 60's. I liked the Zombies back in the 60's, so I had to search Youtube. There are no old videos of Time, but some 80's and early 90's videos show the B3, the later stuff uses a plastic box keyboard.

Here is a 2005 video of Time with Rod Argent playing the B3 in a different band.

YouTube - ‪The Zombies - Time of the Season‬‏

Argent wailing on an electric piano (Wurlitzer?) in 1965.

YouTube - ‪The Zombies - She's not there‬‏

B3 and Mini Moog action from 1973 complete with psychedelic video effects.

YouTube - ‪Hold Your Head Up Argent 11-7-73 Palace Theater NY‬‏

The Zombies / Argent Youtube videos sparked up some faded memories from when my hair was as long as theirs was. I dug through my vinyl collection and found 3 Argent records from 1974 and 1975. One lists Rod Argents keyboards. "Hammond Organ, Piano, Fender Rhodes, Hohner Electric Piano, Moog, Melotron, and vocals. No wonder I liked this stuff then, I worshiped Rick Wakeman, had long blonde hair, and played an ARP Odyssey and a Univox Mini Korg.

BTW I use to a bass player (rock).
One band I was in during the '70s was with a guy who had a C3.

One day, he decided to upgraded the driver in his Leslie for better sound.
It was a big mistake. It sounded too clean and lacked the "penitration" qualty of the Hammond and its distintive sound . So the original driver went back in.
I guess Leslie really did their homework when designing them.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.