Top 3 hiphop MC's of all time

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had a few to pick from for third place. But when I thought about it, Bone has put out enough hitters and has been doing it long enough to be considered one of the best. They brought a new style of rappin to the game. A flow that was super smooth, beyond quick, and stright raw. As a whole group, they spit lyrics that put songs like Creepin on a Come Up, First of Tha Month, Mo Murder, and Tha Crossroads (remix) in the hiphop hall of fame. Other third place choices I have are, The Wu-Tang Clan, Nelly, Snoop Dog, Ice Cube, Ludacris, and i'm sure I forgot a bunch more. Those are off the top of my head. But I wanna make it clear that I didn't forget Jay-Z. I left him out. Cause I just don't consider him to be nearly as sick as everyone thinks he is.

Ok, I really didn't get the response that I was lookin for, so let me ask this... Is there a difference between hiphop lyrics and poetry? Or is it all poetry? Just different variations. (style, beats, ect.)

I believe that there are artists with lyrics that, I'll call simple and basic. These types of lyrics are easy to write and easy to flow. The topics they address are often meaningless topics that will be popular on the radio. But can shut the club down if paired with the right beats. These types of lyrics depend on the beats to carry them.

And then you have lyrics that are complete poetry. You don't even need a beat to flow them. These type of lyrics are often deep and have been thought about and perfected. They can express personal experiences, feelings, and emotions that can change the way you view music. These are lyrics that people can relate to. Lyrics that impress those who hear them. Thats poetry. And not everyone can do it.

And thats what I think...

Well I think people like to put up arbitrary lines when there are none in terms of "genre". But in terms of a quantifiable difference I don't think there wasn't much multisyllabic rhyming going on before Rakim.

You brought up Bone Thugs and said they brought a new flow/style to the game. I think they actually lifted that flow from Freestyle Fellowship - a group which truly blurs the line between Hip Hop and Poetry and seemed greatly influenced by The Last Poets.

I dunno who I would put in my top 3. Never much for lists.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.