The 15 Song Album collection:

01 - Paul Weller - Trees. "My skirt would swish to show my long strong legs so fine."
02 - Magnetic Fields - Papa Was A Rodeo
03 - Boomtown Rats - Charmed Lives - "I think I'll do my hair today."
04 - Rough Trade - High School Confidential -"She makes me cream my jeans when she comes my way"
05 - This Charming Man - The Smiths
06 - The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down - Joan Baez - "Back with my wife in Tennessee, and one day, she said to me"

01 - Paul Weller - Trees. "My skirt would swish to show my long strong legs so fine."
04 - Rough Trade - High School Confidential -"She makes me cream my jeans when she comes my way"
06 - The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down - Joan Baez - "Back with my wife in Tennessee, and one day, she said to me"
07 - Billy Bragg - Valentine's Day Is Over. "Thank you for the things you taught me when you hit me hard"

Joan refuses to change the lyrics to any song she sings

Good thing, that would require changing quite a few words and would tend to confuse. Not too many women named Virgil and I'm not sure if the women folk were chopping the firewood in those days, nor going to war.

When a song is written in the first person from a man's perspective a rewrite would have been awfully strange. :)

07 - Billy Bragg - Valentine's Day Is Over. "Thank you for the things you taught me when you hit me hard"
08 - Hello In There - Joan Baez

This thread needed some input. I was at work when I posted my comment about Joan, so when I got home I dropped Diamonds and Rust on the platter and heard these lyrics originally written and sung by John Prine

We had an apartment in the city,
Me and Loretta liked living there.
Well, it'd been years since the kids had grown,

09 - Angel From Montgomery - John Prine "I am an old woman"

10 - Lost in the Supermarket - The Clash - "I can no longer shop happily"

"10 - Lost in the Supermarket - The Clash - "I can no longer shop happily" " ???

Are you saying only women go food shopping in supermarkets?
This is off one of my favourite albums which I bought when it first came out in '79 but not once did I think this song should have been sung by a woman.

Just doing something/anything to move the thread along.

Fair enough, I can go with that.

First thing that came to my mind was a song from the first Garbage album (Shirley Manson was only meant to be a session singer originally so there were some songs already written intended for male singers) but can't for the life of me remember the song title. May be it'll come to me…

Joined 2004
Paid Member
10 - Lost in the Supermarket - The Clash - "I can no longer shop happily"
11 - House of the Rising Sun - Sinead O'Connor (sung as "...many a poor boy" instead of the "female" lyrics)