05 - sex sleep eat drink dream - King Crimson
06 - He Went to Paris - Jimmy Buffett
07 - In The City* - The Jam
08 - I Put A Spell O You - Screamin' Jay Hawkins
09 - Alla Fiera Dell' Est - Angelo Branduardi
10 - Ziggy Stardust - David Bowie
11 - Get Ready For Love - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

-------------------
Songs that begin and end with the same LINE ( must be more than a single word )

This is a proper test! Anyone actually done this off the top of their head or did you go to the oracle for lyric sheets?
More like this one, heh? instead of the gimmies we have all been throwing each other.

Listening to this track now on my new "wooden top" (i.e. as of 10am when I finished and turned it on.)

My partner is away this week so I have spent the better parts of my waking hours by taking over the kitchen and giving my much loved NAD C541i the Lampizator treatment that I have been collecting BOM for over the last couple of months. My first big job and very happy with the result so far. Just finished this morning tucking the bird nest away inside, except for trafo and tubes to eventually sit in a walnut plinth on top.

So please forgive me if you can think back to when you did your first big project you might allow me to be feeling a bit smug with myself and not being able to quite wipe that s**t eating grin off my face as I write this

Last edited:
This is a proper test! Anyone actually done this off the top of their head or did you go to the oracle for lyric sheets? More like this one, heh? instead of the gimmies we have all been throwing each other.
I agree, good theme. Had to think a lot to suspect tunes, but check the lyrics just to reafirm. It took several guesses to hit, because I don't remember the ends like the beginings of songs.
Listening to this track now on my new "wooden top" (i.e. as of 10am when I finished and turned it on.)........... if you can think back to when you did your first big project you might allow me to be feeling a bit smug with myself and not being able to quite wipe that s**t eating grin off my face as I write this
Congratulations, I know the feeling......but then the desire to start the next big project kicks in...

01 - Riders On The Storm - The Doors
02 - Paperback Writer - The Beatles
03 - Ne me quitte pas - Jacques BreL
04 - I can't get no satisfaction - Devo
12 - I'll Be Home - Harry Nilsson (Randy Newman)

Anyone actually done this off the top of their head

I tried several times, but my guesses all turned out to be wrong. My first guess was the closest, except for the Woah, oh, woooooah, oh at the very end. that would be REO Speedwagon's Riding the storm out.....seen it live at least twice, and maybe more if I could only remember those late 70's and 80's concerts in a somewhat altered state. Then you could pick something with very few words like In a Gadda Da Vida and so many different versions, one has to fit.

Last edited:
Thinking as far back as Louie Louie for songs that I used to play. I kept recalling the same few albums and striking out, so I kept moving closer in time......I finally found one in the early 90's, from a band that I have seen in concert 5 times.

13 - Nothing Else Matters - Metallica .....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj75Arhq5ho

Anyone actually done this off the top of their head
I suspected that King Crimson had some tunes, but was surprised to find a song that never came to my mind. When giving the matter a second thought, I instantly remembered that Angelo Branduardi's song about the mouse his father bought for him, had a long line both starting and ending the song:
Alla fiera dell'est, per due soldi, un topolino mio padre comprò

I am very much intrigued by the question how you pick the tunes. I find all of my songs in my CD-collection.

Anyone actually done this off the top of their head ?

I have music playing for much of each day and with a rapidly growing cd collection ( due in part to people dumping their entire collection in favour of rips etc and my local charity shop selling 3 for GBP 1 , many like new , i now have over 1000 so this is my source for answers/themes.
I have also discovered a lot of new previously unheard artists/songs thanks to this thread , Jimmy Buffet for one :)

I am very much intrigued by the question how you pick the tunes. I find all of my songs in my CD-collection.

I have been listening to, and playing (guitar mostly) music since I was a kid. Yes, I was in front of the black and white TV for American Bandstand (Dick Clark), Hullabaloo, Don Kirshner's "Rock Concert," Ed Sulivan show (Beatles first appearance) and just about every music related TV show except for He-Haw and the Monkees. I have been to hundreds of concerts, from small local shows to a Lollapalooza.

I have about 1,000 music CD's, and 500 or so records. Many of these are rather obscure. Most of my answers come from memory, but sometimes those memories are a bit cloudy. I try to verify them by finding the record or CD, looking up the record or CD on Amazon (a lot of the old obscure stuff isn't there or song titles aren't given). Sometimes a Youtube or Google search of the song name, band name, or some lyrics will find the title, but that's often a long shot. Or, there are a dozen versions of the same song by the same band on Youtube, each with slightly different lyrics.....like In A Gadda Da Vida.

Maybe it's my ADHD powered brain, but often I'll look at the category, then go off and do something else.....then a song will pop into my head, and often it's right. This particular category was a challenge, because at least a dozen songs were wrong.....but I kept coming back to a black colored CD, that I used to listen to at work. I thought of Queenryche Silent Lucidity from the Empire album, so I popped the CD into the computer and played the entire disk......no dice, but the song I found had a similar acoustic guitar sound and was indeed on a black CD from the same era.

Joined 2016
Paid Member

I do get help from www some of the time especially looking at lyrics but then I limit my responses to songs that I know I have in my collection. For this one like yourself I went looking to artists that are known as wordsmiths because this beginning and end thing is a bit of s rhetorical device but also I knew the was big possibility with songs that have a chanted refrain.

13 - Nothing Else Matters - Metallica .....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj75Arhq5ho
14 - Hey, Jude - The Beatles - I don't remember if there is a "Jimmy Buffett" rule, (One use of an artist per list)? If so, this post can be removed.:)

13 - Nothing Else Matters - Metallica
14 - Hey, Jude - The Beatles
15 - Sending The Old Man Home - Jimmy Buffett

Someone else feel free, I did the honour recently.