The 15 Song Album collection:

01 - Subdivisions - Rush (just noticed it's in 7/8.)
02 - Twenty Four Hours - Joy Division (sounds so contemporary)

I'm in a AV tech and often set up huge ballrooms with PAs, screens, etc. As one of my favorite bands I often crank up some JD during setup, and on more than one occasion I've had twenty somethings come up to me to ask who the "new band" is. No, the album Closer is now over 36 years old!

03 - My Babe - Little Walter (surprised by how much I still dig it)
04 - Let's Get Drunk and Screw - Jimmy Buffett (surprised I don't hear it more)
05 - Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd ( Every song on the album - i collect Floyd stuff done in different styles and there are numerous takes on this album from Blues to Dance ) if i have to pick just one then TIME

on a side note i recently picked up a cd given away with Mojo magazine in Oct 2011 alternative versions of D.S.o.t.M. and Wish you Were Here some superb material great find.

Last edited:
05 - Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd ( Every song on the album - i collect Floyd stuff done in different styles and there are numerous takes on this album from Blues to Dance ) if i have to pick just one then TIME
06 - Poland (The Warsaw Concert ) - Tangerine Dream ( The first ten minutes of this is still one of the most amazing and rhythmically sophisticated pieces of music ever composed, it still sends shivers up and down my spine when I listen to it. )

06 - Poland (The Warsaw Concert ) - Tangerine Dream ( The first ten minutes of this is still one of the most amazing and rhythmically sophisticated pieces of music ever composed, it still sends shivers up and down my spine when I listen to it. )
07 - Love Duet from La Bohème act 1 - Puccini (One of only a few operatic arias I've always liked)

07 - Love Duet from La Bohème act 1 - Puccini (One of only a few operatic arias I've always liked)
08 - Chromatic Fantasy and Fugue in D minor - J.S.Bach - played by George Malcolm. Probably the most played recording I own.

on a side note i recently picked up a cd given away with Mojo magazine in Oct 2011 alternative versions of D.S.o.t.M. and Wish you Were Here some superb material great find.

In my humble opinion Dark Side may well be the best album ever created. Production wise it was light years ahead and every song is memorable, remarkably memorable. Most albums have one maybe 2 songs of this calibre, occasionally three but I think that every song on this album is equally good and without any one of them the album as a whole would be missing something.

08 - Chromatic Fantasy and Fugue in D minor - J.S.Bach - played by George Malcolm. Probably the most played recording I own.
09 - Music for 18 Musicians - Steve Reich ( I hadn't heard this in almost 20 years, however when I heard it again last year it was still as mind blowing as ever. )

Songs that still surprise you after at least 10 years.

If you listen again you can hear that some parts are in 7/8 and others in 4/4. This piece of music helped me to get my head round complex time signatures! It is a great song too. :) )

Last edited:
09 - Music for 18 Musicians - Steve Reich ( I hadn't heard this in almost 20 years, however when I heard it again last year it was still as mind blowing as ever. )
10 - Take Five - Dave Brubeck (Time Out was one of the first experiments in odd time signatures, 57 years later it still sounds unique)

10 - Take Five - Dave Brubeck (Time Out was one of the first experiments in odd time signatures, 57 years later it still sounds unique)
11 - Swelling Valley - John Greaves Still amazed that music can be around for so long, and be so near to my heart, and be so obscure. The version on his band "The Lodge" "Smell of a Friend" is where I first heard it. The version on his solo album "Songs" is perhaps even more sublime. "Old Man's Mood" from Smell of a Friend perhaps should have been my choice.

Last edited:

Love this. For years I didn't know the name of this or the artists involved. If you like Jazz like this you may enjoy Mahavishnu Orchestra. Iam thinking in particular of the track "Birds of Fire," from the album of the same name.

I have some of the early Mahavishnu Orchestra records in my collection somewhere, (and maybe this one) but I was more into the later stuff with synthesizers. I also have albums with several of the alumni either alone or with other performers.....Jean-Luc Ponty, Jan Hammer, John McLaughlin.....I don't remember if Al DiMeola was part of this group at one time or not?

11 - Swelling Valley - John Greaves Still amazed that music can be around for so long, and be so near to my heart, and be so obscure. The version on his band "The Lodge" "Smell of a Friend" is where I first heard it. The version on his solo album "Songs" is perhaps even more sublime. "Old Man's Mood" from Smell of a Friend perhaps should have been my choice.
12 - Crazy Little Thing - The Magic Band with Captain Beefheart. I could have chosen many other tracks, from several albums, but this has to be one of the more accessible, timeless, and good time tracks of this superb band, but maybe I should have chosen one off the following album with John French on drums.

12 - Crazy Little Thing - The Magic Band with Captain Beefheart. I could have chosen many other tracks, from several albums, but this has to be one of the more accessible, timeless, and good time tracks of this superb band, but maybe I should have chosen one off the following album with John French on drums.
13 - The Glorious Om Riff ( Live 1979 ) - Steve Hillage ( So far in the future makes you wonder if he owned a time machine :) )

13 - The Glorious Om Riff ( Live 1979 ) - Steve Hillage ( So far in the future makes you wonder if he owned a time machine :) )
14 - Watermelon in Easter Hay - Frank Zappa / Joe's Garage (actually the entire several disc set of this "opera"? still dazzles me every time)

13 - The Glorious Om Riff ( Live 1979 ) - Steve Hillage ( So far in the future makes you wonder if he owned a time machine )
14 - Watermelon in Easter Hay - Frank Zappa / Joe's Garage (actually the entire several disc set of this "opera"? still dazzles me every time)
15 - Margaritaville - Jimmy Buffett. Surprised because it's far from his best work yet it's what Parrotheads call the 'National Anthem'