Clapton foot stomps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ok, I'll bite

Not the number of times his foot contacts the stage in a given time period.

Not the sound of the shoe striking the stage.

The sound of the hollow stage resonating after he stomps it with his foot. It's deep and boomy like a huge drum. It's also more pronounced on some tracks than others. While screwing around with my sub recently I listened to some music with the sub amp cranked up quite a bit (neat for HT, lousy for almost all music) and this sound caught me by surprise. The sub is anechoically flat to 25hz so it's probably a bit thick at the low end with room gain to begin with.

Aha!

I'm so glad I'm not the only person to be annoyed/confused by the foot stomp noise on that track! I reckon the sound is 30-50hz fundamental too :)

I have a sub which is modelled as flat to 21hz(!!!) and I agree , some recordings have silly bass on them, I suspect the mastering kit is often not so perfect/flat in the bass and the engineer cranks some low bass sounds now and then. I don't know, maybe it's all natural or intended.

Sorry, I'm a little drunk :confused:

-Simon

So I see I'm NOT the only one who has experienced this. Is your sub flat to 21hz in-room or anechoic? Mine's anechoic (for HT use) which would explain the exaggeration of those frequencies to an extent. Friends think it's "neat". I'm a little more interested in accuracy.

hehe, I don't know where 21hz came from! I just looked at the model again, and it's -3db at 20hz bang on, anechoic. In-room it seems quite flat, but my room has just changed so I don't know.

It's an Adire Tempest in a 250litre or so ported box, no eq. Works well for music and home cinema, and much better with LFE channel rather than hi-level, for the films.

Low bass is kinda cool...

-Simon

Don't get me wrong...

I just love low bass when it's called for and sounds natural/accurate. Most papers I've seen suggest that anchoically flat subwoofers gain considerably at the bottom end when placed in a normal listening environment (room gain). When I listen to some of the Clapton tracks from that disc there is no question that I'm getting this room gain. It's the equivalent of a boost stating at 40hz and ramping up to +8 or +10 db by 25hz.

With home theater the effect raises the hair on my neck, but on most musical passages the unnatural gain at the bottom end muddies up the midrange and booms in the bass region. Thats ok because I built it strictly for HT use.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.