Looking for jazz bass and pipe organ - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Music

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st March 2003, 12:36 AM   #1
toenail is offline toenail  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Looking for jazz bass and pipe organ

I'm trying to find recommendations for a few different types of low frequency music. One is acoustic bass found in many jazz albums similar to Nora Jones latest, tracks 1,3,5. The other is anything with pipe organ music using some of the deepest tones. I need artist and title info so that I can gather some new stuff to run through my speakers.

Any suggestions?
Old 31st March 2003, 01:11 AM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

"This One's For Blanton," Ray Brown and Duke Ellington. Pablo 2310 721. Delicious acoustic bass.
Old 31st March 2003, 01:21 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

arne domnerus: antipone blues.
a bit hard to find, but worth every dollar you end up paying for it!
-pradeep
Old 31st March 2003, 11:00 AM   #4
MJK is offline MJK  United States
Account disabled at member's request

Copied from below.

Jimmy Rowles and Ray Brown : "Tasty"

Acoustic piano and bass.

Track 3 : You can hear Ray Brown breathing as he plays the extended solo with Jimmy Rowles snapping his finger to keep time. This is main stream jazz. No electonic music, all real human beings.

The whole album is great.
Old 31st March 2003, 12:09 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Magnetmaz
I second that just about any Ray Brown album is pretty spectacular.

My personal favorite of his is "Ray Brown : Live at the LOA"

Lots of audience interaction...on a good system you can hear things going on in the background like the phone at the bar ringing, people carrying on conversations in the background....

its hilarious...and proof positive that my 300b amps pick up SO MANY details that you couldn't hear before.

Anyways, as a former jazz bass major, go with Ray Brown

-Maz
Old 31st March 2003, 06:26 PM   #6
toenail is offline toenail  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the suggestions thus far. I'm definitely looking for real sounds, not Bass Mekanik test tones, and it sounds like you guys have some good ideas.

I absolutely love to hear deep strings, especially double bass, that reveal ALL of the sounds of the instrument being played- from the fingers slipping over the string, to the string vibrating in the air, to the resonance emmanating the body of the instrument and all associated harmonics, even the sounds heard when a string is plucked too hard and it vibrates against the neck unintentionally. Makes the hair stand on the back of my neck.

I'm still looking for pipe organ stuff as well. Keep 'em coming.
Old 31st March 2003, 08:17 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

If you like virtuoso playing on an electric bass guitar as well then I can recommend the CD "A show of hands" by Victor Wooten. The instrument is recorded without compressors and almost no effects at all.
I seems that he didn't even use any subsonic filter, so take care of your woofers when playing the pieces played with piezo pickup !

I have a record that was puplished by the Swiss Highend Society with an organ piece that is going down to 16.2 Hz. It impresses the listener less than the speakers (they have to work really hard !!). The name of the CD is "Impressions".
Info can be found on www.swisshighend.ch.
You can listen to sample tracks on: http://she.dreamlab.net/trackliste_imp.html (it is track 13 that I am talking of, the other ones are interesting too, 12 is quite funny)

Another one that sounds impressing is an organ recording made by Denon. It is the famous "Toccata und fuge in D-Moll" (BWV 565). The interpretation is not that impressing at all - but the instrument and the way it is recorded definitely is (specially the low end).
I have this recording on vinyl (though it was recorded digitally) but I once heard it on CD at a demo. I can try to find more details if you like.

Regards

Charles
Old 12th February 2004, 06:54 PM   #8
JTT is offline JTT  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

If you're thinking of moving house, like a couple of feet this way or that, then either of these two should loosen up the foundations for you:

Lizst Organ Works
Nicolas Kynaston
IMP 30366 00032

Organ Fireworks Vol 8
Christopher Herrick
Hyperion CDA66978

As loudspeaker testers/demonstrators, I don't think you'll find much better - and I happen to like the music too!

JTT
Old 16th January 2011, 05:56 PM   #9
Brion55 is offline Brion55  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Brion55
The organ at St. Ouen has arguably the finest 32' Bombarde stop in the world. Amazon has it as an MP3 download.

Abbey Spectacular! Organ Favourites from St. Ouen, Rouen
Gerard Brooks
ASIN: B002RB7V7K

Hide this!Advertise here!