Looking for jazz bass and pipe organ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm trying to find recommendations for a few different types of low frequency music. One is acoustic bass found in many jazz albums similar to Nora Jones latest, tracks 1,3,5. The other is anything with pipe organ music using some of the deepest tones. I need artist and title info so that I can gather some new stuff to run through my speakers.

Any suggestions?

Copied from below.

Jimmy Rowles and Ray Brown : "Tasty"

Acoustic piano and bass.

Track 3 : You can hear Ray Brown breathing as he plays the extended solo with Jimmy Rowles snapping his finger to keep time. This is main stream jazz. No electonic music, all real human beings.

The whole album is great.

I second that just about any Ray Brown album is pretty spectacular.

My personal favorite of his is "Ray Brown : Live at the LOA"

Lots of audience interaction...on a good system you can hear things going on in the background like the phone at the bar ringing, people carrying on conversations in the background....

its hilarious...and proof positive that my 300b amps pick up SO MANY details that you couldn't hear before.

Anyways, as a former jazz bass major, go with Ray Brown :)

-Maz

Thanks for the suggestions thus far. I'm definitely looking for real sounds, not Bass Mekanik test tones, and it sounds like you guys have some good ideas.

I absolutely love to hear deep strings, especially double bass, that reveal ALL of the sounds of the instrument being played- from the fingers slipping over the string, to the string vibrating in the air, to the resonance emmanating the body of the instrument and all associated harmonics, even the sounds heard when a string is plucked too hard and it vibrates against the neck unintentionally. Makes the hair stand on the back of my neck.

I'm still looking for pipe organ stuff as well. Keep 'em coming.

If you like virtuoso playing on an electric bass guitar as well then I can recommend the CD "A show of hands" by Victor Wooten. The instrument is recorded without compressors and almost no effects at all.
I seems that he didn't even use any subsonic filter, so take care of your woofers when playing the pieces played with piezo pickup !

I have a record that was puplished by the Swiss Highend Society with an organ piece that is going down to 16.2 Hz. It impresses the listener less than the speakers (they have to work really hard !!). The name of the CD is "Impressions".
Info can be found on www.swisshighend.ch.
You can listen to sample tracks on: http://she.dreamlab.net/trackliste_imp.html (it is track 13 that I am talking of, the other ones are interesting too, 12 is quite funny)

Another one that sounds impressing is an organ recording made by Denon. It is the famous "Toccata und fuge in D-Moll" (BWV 565). The interpretation is not that impressing at all - but the instrument and the way it is recorded definitely is (specially the low end).
I have this recording on vinyl (though it was recorded digitally) but I once heard it on CD at a demo. I can try to find more details if you like.

Regards

Charles

If you're thinking of moving house, like a couple of feet this way or that, then either of these two should loosen up the foundations for you:

Lizst Organ Works
Nicolas Kynaston
IMP 30366 00032

Organ Fireworks Vol 8
Christopher Herrick
Hyperion CDA66978

As loudspeaker testers/demonstrators, I don't think you'll find much better - and I happen to like the music too!

JTT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.