Writing Songs!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I assume you have a computer since you typed this post on one, I guess. I also assume you want advice on how to record and not about how to get a band together, make music, talk to a record company, etc.

You'll basically need a microphone and some kind of recording software. The short of it is: hook up the mic, open up the recording software, press 'Record', and start playing and singing.

Please understand this is fairly 'barebones' and I'm not going to talk about monitoring, mixdown, etc. You will have recorded a succesful scratch track which you can burn onto a CD and pass around. But to get contracts, you'll need more than that.

If you need more help respond. I'm willing to get into the dirty details. Before that, it might help if you hop over to www.homerecording.com to find out more. Likely you may not have to ask, I didn't.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
You put up the song on a place where people can listen to it. Start getting PR for it, a good place to start is immediate friends and family. Get them to play it in their cars, other people, etc. Try to talk to your local radio station. You might get lucky. Do you know anyone who works in the record store? Maybe get the manager to keep a few CDs of your songs?

But for that, you'll need more than a small microphone and a simple software, the product has to be as close to finished as your pocket allows.

Can you hire a band? Get a few of your friends to play along? Get a recording done by either someone who's in the recording studio, or hire a studio for a shift or so and get a few songs recorded. Get it mixed by a pro or someone you know.

A good place to start is www.nowhereradio.com where you can sign up as an independent artist. www.mp3.com and www.antimtv.com are also good places - there are a ton of independent A&R services which can you help reach a wider audience. Some are free, some are not, some are good, some not...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.