Eric Clapton's biggest mistake?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK, my first post was written later in the evening after watching the PBS broadcast of the show, and some Googling of "who was that playing with Jeff Beck"? The answer to that one is Tal Wilkenfield - one very talented little 20-something Ozzie chick bass player. Oh yeah, the drummer wasn't half bad either (Vinnie Colaiuta - I can never spell that right when I'm in a hurry)

I was a huge fan of Eric from the Cream through Blind Faith era, but time and gravity take their toll.

My point really was that Jeff was probably one if not the the only one of the "veterans" in the 2 hrs of the broadcast who have simply lost their edge with time. It was sad to see the physical condition to which Johnny Winter and BBK have deteriorated.

I was at one time a big Clapton fan. Also liked Rush, too.

Rush is able to play pretty well to this day. They don't seem to be able to write songs quite like in their hey day, but they are playing maybe 92% of their peak.

Eric retains 80% of his powers.

BB King is a wonderfully charismatic man and guitar player. His spirit is still strong, but his backing band does so much of the work anymore.
I don't think he's playing at more than 50% of his former power.

Paul McCartney, to change gears, can't write a song to save his life, but his singing and playing are remarkably good. He's maybe at 92% of his former power.

Daveis said:
I was at one time a big Clapton fan. Also liked Rush, too.

Rush is able to play pretty well to this day. They don't seem to be able to write songs quite like in their hey day, but they are playing maybe 92% of their peak.

Eric retains 80% of his powers.

BB King is a wonderfully charismatic man and guitar player. His spirit is still strong, but his backing band does so much of the work anymore.
I don't think he's playing at more than 50% of his former power.

Paul McCartney, to change gears, can't write a song to save his life, but his singing and playing are remarkably good. He's maybe at 92% of his former power.

Sir Paul probably has 920% more money than most of the rest of the performers on anyone's list,(or all of them put together) and from what I've seen of his recent work, most of the "final contestants" on any of those cheesy TV talent shows could embarrass him in a jam session.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
chrisb said:
It was sad to see the physical condition to which Johnny Winter and BBK have deteriorated.

Never got to work with BBK, tho I tried.

Did do a couple of shows with Johnny Winter. Wow! That cat can play. Have rarely, maybe never, heard better. That was about 10~12 years ago. Sorry I missed him at his recent Maui gig.

chrisb

that's funny...I turned on the tv when Johnny Winter was being introduced and stayed clear to the end. then I immediately started googling to find out what I could about Tal Wilkenfeld. Yikes. Jeff was bowing down to her onstage. Great stuff. BTW, I assume you meant to say he was the only one who hasn't lost his edge (above). Vinnie was playing his a** off, but Tal was the one that dropped my jaw. Fantastic. And she's only been playing bass 4 years.

That was good tv. so unusual.

bonjonno said:
chrisb

that's funny...I turned on the tv when Johnny Winter was being introduced and stayed clear to the end. then I immediately started googling to find out what I could about Tal Wilkenfeld. Yikes. Jeff was bowing down to her onstage. Great stuff. BTW, I assume you meant to say he was the only one who hasn't lost his edge (above). Vinnie was playing his a** off, but Tal was the one that dropped my jaw. Fantastic. And she's only been playing bass 4 years.

That was good tv. so unusual.

yes, "hasn't" was my intent - by the time I caught the typo, the edit time restraint has elapsed

If there isn't one already, let's hope there's a concert DVD release from Jeff's current tour with this band.

I caught this performance also, did not know the Bass players name but man!!!, I agree she is good!. The Beck performance was one of the best in the whole series and in the room watching this, I wasnt the only one mesmerized. Vinnie C, what can I say, he is always great, but of course I am biased being a drummer, but his playing and feel leave alot of players regardless of chops out begging for more :).

Colin

I'm not much of a movie consumer. I do like to find a good concert DVD. I was thinking of starting a DVD concert thread and a search turned up this old thread.
hehe yeah Johnny Winter has always been a long long way from being Mr. Universe, but he's a beast when playing the blues.
Haven't watched it yet, but I just picked up (for <$5) Rendevous In New York by the Remembering Bud Powell Band. That's Chick Corea, piano; Christian McBride, bass; Roy Haynes, drums; Terence Blanchard, trumpet; Joshua Redman, saxophone. Should be good.
So, anyone got any favorite recommendations?

Leaving the bedroom window open?

Either that or proclaiming on stage that "I think Enoch (Powell) is right... we should send them all back! Throw the wogs out! Keep Britain white!"
while making money by covering Bob Marley's 'I Shot The Sheriff' (Clapton's first No1).

(I assume this post will be deleted but it had to said IMO.)

Leaving the bedroom window open?

Either that or proclaiming on stage that "I think Enoch (Powell) is right... we should send them all back! Throw the wogs out! Keep Britain white!"
while making money by covering Bob Marley's 'I Shot The Sheriff' (Clapton's first No1).

(I assume this post will be deleted but it had to said IMO.)

i didnt know that.
if thats the case.....the type of music he is known for is not a "white mans" creation.
why are some people like that? shame

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.