Eric Clapton's biggest mistake?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2005
Paid Member
I saw another Jeff Beck concert (PBS program?) with Tal Wilkenfeld a few years ago, and thought it was a joke. A little girl that looked all of 12 ripping away on a Bass? I remember thinking "are her arm long enough to reach all the frets"? Someone is pulling my leg? A bandmembers daughter steppin in as a favor? With that head of red Shirly Temple curly hair? What a turbo babe. Oh, and she rocks on a bass to.

I also saw Jeff Beck with Emelda May a few years back in Chicago. Incredible concert, and the ovation was a version of "Danny Boy" I will not soon forget.

But regarding the "Crossroads" flick, noone talking of Derek Trucks? Now this guy rocks. He toured with Clapton years ago and I saw them in Salt Lake City. They played one of my favorite Clapton songs - "Motherless Children". I nearly peed my pants as I have not heard thay since college. Derek Trucks was on the Slide Guitar and was freakin' flawless.

Last edited:
Another One Ticked Off The Bucket List....

Did do a couple of shows with Johnny Winter. Wow! That cat can play. Have rarely, maybe never, heard better. That was about 10~12 years ago. Sorry I missed him at his recent Maui gig.
Envious...JW has always been one of my mega favorites.:cool:
I am working a Ringo Starr show Thursday night, according to the reviews it should be good.

Dan.

Last edited:
OK, my first post was written later in the evening after watching the PBS broadcast of the show, and some Googling of "who was that playing with Jeff Beck"? The answer to that one is Tal Wilkenfield - one very talented little 20-something Ozzie chick bass player. Oh yeah, the drummer wasn't half bad either (Vinnie Colaiuta - I can never spell that right when I'm in a hurry)

I was a huge fan of Eric from the Cream through Blind Faith era, but time and gravity take their toll.

My point really was that Jeff was probably one if not the the only one of the "veterans" in the 2 hrs of the broadcast who have simply lost their edge with time. It was sad to see the physical condition to which Johnny Winter and BBK have deteriorated.

BTW a couple of years later Jeff B, Tal & VC recorded a concert at Ronnie Scott's club, it is on CD & DVD, you cab check it out here on youtube:

Jeff Beck live at Ronnie Scott's - Full show - YouTube

For my taste Clapton & Winwood playing together at Crossroads were dynamite as good/better than ever. I wish the version they did of "Can't Find My Way Home", with D Trucks and D Bramhill were on a CD somewhere, my favorite version of that classic.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.