BluesNews ...your favourite monthly Releases and Re-Releases

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Execution as threatened on Oct. 17th .....
A little Foreword be allowed.
1. This thread is intended to inform about my/your favourite new Releases and Re-Releases of CDs/LPs/DVDs that are in some way or the other "affiliated" with what you may call "Blues"or related "Stuff". More general discussions should still be handled under "The Blues". (There's more to the Blues than just "News-Releases" ;-)) !)
2. At least my opinion will be biased and heavily so on occaisson.
(Did I write that word correctly ?).
So everybody is invited to share a discussion if he's sees a necessity to do so. (For general discussions still use: "The Blues")
You're also invited to share your own favourites (New and Re-Releases and information related to them).
Posting news shall be once a month, except for this time, the first time.
3. Some of the CDs/LPs/DVDs may not be available worldwide, may differ from country to country as to e.g. titles, covers, prices,
release dates, etc.
4.There may be a slight delay between release and review, but I suggest that this should not be more than 3 months to maintain "freshness".
Ready.......Set......Go .....see next posting.
....and thanks for your collaboration, suggestions, critics, support etc., etc. ....in advance...
Siggi K.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
My Favourite CD in September

O.K. ...this may be a bit late...but it took time to make up my mind
for this thread .....

"OMAR" KENT DYKES & JIMMIE (LEE) VAUGHAN--
On The Jimmy Reed Highway (45:57, 12 Tracks, 2007, Ruf Records RUF 1122)
Kent "Omar" Dykes - Vocals, Guitar/Jimmie Vaughan - Guitar
feat. :
Lou Ann Barton - Vocals/Ronnie James - Bass/Barry Bihm - Bass / Derek O'Brien - Guitar, Vocals/ Gary Clark Jr. - Guitar, Vocals/
Wes Starr - Drums/ George Rains - Drums/ Jay Moeller - Drums/
Jake Dykes - Drums/ Kim Wilson - Harp/ James Cotton - Harp/
Gary Primich - Harp/ Delbert McClinton - Harp, Vocals
Songs:
Jimmy Reed Highway (4:04) Omar Kent Dykes, Steve Callif/Baby What You Want Me To Do/Bright Lights Big City (5:09) Jimmy Reed/Big Boss Man (3:09) Willie Dixon, Smith/Good Lover (3:07) Jimmy Reed/Caress Me Baby (5:08) Jimmy Reed/Aw Shucks, Hush Your Mouth (4:00) Jimmy Reed/You Upset My Mind (3:16) Jimmy Reed/I'll Change My Style (3:45) Parker, Villa/Bad Boy (4:01) Eddie Taylor/Baby, What's Wrong (3:15) Jimmy Reed/Hush Hush (3:01) Jimmy Reed/You Made Me Laugh (3:50) Omar Kent Dykes, Steve Callif---
Jimmy Reed is not regarded as one of the most versatile of all Bluesmen even by most of the Blues Afficionados that I know.
I'd even say the quality of his music may be open to discussion.
This said it's also true that he and some of his sidemen, most notably Eddie Taylor influenced a lot of musicians.
So I think an appropriate "tribute" was long overdue -- for both
Reed AND Taylor. And Boy -- this little CD here is it!
And why so ?
Because of the people involved. Rumour has it that Derek O'Brien has been planning this for a bit of a time and being one of the real Texas blues Icons that he is (Antone's !) he had no troubles recruiting that kind of line-up we have here.
And if it wasn't for the "guests" we have here both main actors "in best shape" namely a certain Mr. Dykes how this time shows what capable singer he REALLY is (and not gettin' on my nerves for doing "would-be-Howlin-Wolf") ! My excuses for occaissionally tearing up some of your recordings. This here recording favourably states your case, Mr. Dykes !
There we also have a certain Mr. Vaughan -- not the one of "Superstar Fame of the 80s" but rather the one who taught THIS guy a thing or two about guitar playing. Mr. "Genius of Minimal Guitar Playing" -- the antithesis to Folks like Steve Vai.
(Yes, in this case: Less IS More !!). Jimmie (Lee) Vaughan !
Behind them are bassplayers and drummers who make even the most boring rhythmic conception fun to listen to.
(By the way: With Kim Wilson, Ronnie James Weber and Jay Moeller joining in--- does this qualify for a "Original Fab T'Birds Reunion ?? ;-) !)
Well ...and the whole collective is rollin' rockin and swinging through a selection of what we would call "Jimmy Reeds most Populars", augmented with one Eddie Taylor Original ( His Signature Song) and some of Omar's own.
To cut it short: If you dislike Jimmy Redd you may rather not like this recordings -- although I have experience a nummer of exceptions at the shop where I work.
But if you like some old style Blues and especially Jimmy Reed ....
this is the "bee's knees", the "real McCoy", "the one to have" ...
The Cover at: http://www.jimmievaughan.com/

THE BEST IS YET TO COME:
This line-up on AUSTIN CITY LIMITS : http://www.pbs.org/klru/austin/
(Will there be a Live-DVD or CD -- as usual. A frined of mine had the opportunity to see Dykes and Vaughan in Austin about a month ago -- he still is somewhat "smitten" by thie experience !)

BTW: Was this Gary Primich's last recording ??

Enjoy

Siggi K.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I tend to repeat mistakes: Heres my favourite Re-release for September

MUDDY WATERS/JOHNNY WINTER/JAMES COTTON --
Breakin' It Up & Breakin' It Down
(EPIC 7774478; SONY/BMG)
Medley: Black Cat Bone--Dust My Broom/Can't Be Satisfied /Caldonia/ Dealin' With The Devil/Done Got Over It/How Long Can A Fool Go Wrong/ Mama Talk To Your Daughter/Love Her With A Feeling/Trouble No More/ Got My Mojo Working

These recordings are a part of a number of hitherto unreleased live-recordings on EPIC and Columbia from the 70's that have occasionally been released during the last five years, e.g. "Allman Brothers Band -- Live At The Atlanta Pop Festival" or, most recently, "Trio Of Doom -- Tony Williams/John McLaughlin/Jaco Pastorius".
The team responsible for it :
Sony Legacy
C/O Seth Rothstein & Steve Berkowitz
550 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10022
This release, like most of these, is more a new release than a re-release, though, but since the tracks were recorded in 1977, it think this qualifies as re-release, though.
If I got the liner-notes right, the tracks are from a recording made at the kick-off of the "Hard Again"- Tour in 1977, predating the
"Muddy Mississippe Waters Tour". (The recordings of which I never really liked !)
In short: Much better in every aspect than "Muddy Mississippi Waters Live", more bite and coherency than the "Live At Warszaw"-Stuff from 1976 and a match for my (late) favourite "Live At Mister Kelly's". Recommended.
The best at last: No full price release. Mid-Price even Nice Price in some counties.
(BTW: There were romours that "Live At Mr. Kellys" should have been releases in full -- that is about 3 hours -- but I never found a release note. Anybody got informations for me ??)
Enjoy

Siggi K.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
October's New Relaease Favourite: Jason Ricci & New Blood

JASON RICCI & NEW BLOOD
Rocket Number 9
Time :ca. 74:09, 12 Titel, 2007, Electo Groove EGRCD 502;
(Electo Groove is a Division of Delta Groove Productions)
Titles:
The Rocker (Ricci/Stachurski) (7:00)/I'm A New Man (5:14) (Ricci)/Loving Eyes (Ricci) (11:16/ ) /Dodecahedron (5:17) (Stachurski)/Mr. Satan (3:23) (Ricci/Stachurski)/Deliver Us (4:40) (Ricci/Stachurski/Edmunds/arr. Porter)/The Blow Zone Layer (3:51) (Ricci/ arr. Ricci/Stachurski)/The Way I Hurt Myself (6:32) (Ricci)/The Eternal Is (5:28) (Stachurski)/Snowflakes And Horses (4:37) (Ricci)/Sonja (6.22) (Ricci/Stachurski)/ Rocket Number 9 (10:38) (Herman “Sonny” Blount a.k.a. Sun Ra)---
Personel:
New Blood is:
Jason Ricci - Harmonica, Vocals and Nose Flute (?!);/ Wayne “Starsky” Stachurski – Guitar & Back-Up Vocals/ Ted “Buck Weed” Edmunds – Fretted And Fretless Fender Jazz and Precision Basses, Clavinet, Hell's Bells & Back-Up Vocals/ Ron Sutton – Drums & back-Up Vocals--
Special Guest :
Michael Peloquin- Tenor Sax (Track 4)--
This CD is a direct successor of my September's favourite "On The Jimmy Reed Highway" in my CD-Player.
It's a nearly completely diffrerent, though.
Is it Blues ?! Yes, even after repeated listening I still think so.
Stilistically it's rather a mix of Blues, Rock, Funk, Soul and even Jazz. The lyrics and the only "commissioned song"-- the title track, which is a composition of Herman "Sun Ra" Blount tell what this record is all about. It's tale of Up and Downs, it's very personal -- and it's Blues. All this is carried by musician's that are technically up to the tales they are trying to tell us.
Is this "virtuoso" ? Well, ---yes but more in a sense of what we call "Spielwitz" (~playing wits ?) or "Spielfreude" (Joy of playing).
It's music on a high level --- that's a lot of sheer fun to listen to. Now I've heard a lot of good things about Jason Ricci from fellow harmonicaplayers, fellow musicians and critics alike. I had no chance of veryfying these "claims" by means of listening to a CD of Mr. Ricci before. But one thing is clear after listening: He is easily one of the "Top Scorers" of modern Richter-(Diatonic-/Blues-)-Harmonika-Players today. These recordings state the case of his renown.
And, as we all should know that making music is mostly "team sports", my praise goes out to his bandmates, too.
(Bit:Into each life a little rain must fall: Mr. Ricci's vocals maybe up to discussion, but that simply is best left to the listener's taste.
I know it's double trouble: trying to sing well while having to watch that little reed bending like they shoulda, --- mmmhhh.... nearly simultaneously).
Try it ...otherwise you may be missing something .......

As to new Re-releases this month, my scrutiny for them hasn't made too much progress due to lack of time. By chance I recently ran into two 6-CD-Boxes with what I would identify as recordings "already released but not available anymore" by Eddy Clearwater, Luther "Snakeboy" Johnson and other (mostly) unsung heroes of the blues. In case I've got the time to look at them closer, I'll post the results here.
Bye for now. Happy listening.
Siggi K.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
........ looks a bit like "Bob Log III", uhh ?!
(I think one of my colleagues already gave me a nod in Steve's direction before, but I ignored it, obviously, because Bobs CD was more in reach. Maybe I'm mixing up these two.)
When will Jools H. release THIS one ?
Seems there is a need for a "Strange People in Blues and Jazz",
definitely NOT starting with a certain Jalacy Hawkins a.k.a
"Screaming Jay" H. !

Greez

Siggi K.

I have no Idea as to which CD gonna be "Miss November" or "Miss Senior November" if I may say so, but gladly I found some favourites, though not as clear as the two CDs before !
Nightynight yo'all.

Not that these are newly released, but they are my; this month's favourites:) I must have turned on the party-mode since this is totally freakin' funky Blues at its best:cool:
Album one: Coco Montoya: "Ya think I'd know better"
Album two: Coco Montoya: "Dirty deal"
Cant help pushing the repeat button, all the time:cool:

Steen:)

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Steen,
...off course I got 'em both (these CDs), -- I thoroughly agree on your judgement.
Coco M. definitely is one of the more underrated players in the biz.
BTW: One of my friends to whom I forwarded your Seasick Steve link says he found a new idol ;-) .
Greez

Siggi K.

P.S.:
Still have no clues as to my favourite Blues CDs of the month(s).
Monster Mike Welsh got a new one out, but I only had the opportunity off too short a "peek" to fully judge it, the same goes for Bernard Allison's new one-- "chills & thrills".

SigFire said:
Steen,
...off course I got 'em both (these CDs), -- I thoroughly agree on your judgement.
Coco M. definitely is one of the more underrated players in the biz.
BTW: One of my friends to whom I forwarded your Seasick Steve link says he found a new idol ;-) .
Greez

Siggi K.

P.S.:
Still have no clues as to my favourite Blues CDs of the month(s).
Monster Mike Welsh got a new one out, but I only had the opportunity off too short a "peek" to fully judge it, the same goes for Bernard Allison's new one-- "chills & thrills".

Well Siggi, I am not sure that you can have a thing like a monthly new release favourite, or something like that....:)
My favourite this month is without doubt Mr. Luther Allison:)
He was always a firm favourite with me and he is a Guitarslinger par excellence:) Old recordings allright, but timeless.....
I have 12 albums with the man, and suddenly I had to repeat them all....Wow...

Steen:)

Joined 2005
Paid Member
My favourite CD for November ...

O.K. -- I know I'm a bit late ..... but....
Tadaaaaah ........................
My favourite record of November ( albeit by only a very small margin over Monster Mike's and Bernard Allison's latest CDs as mentioned above) is :
PHANTOM BLUES BAND – Footprints
Time: 47:53; 13 Tracks; Delta Groove DGPCD119;
Look At Granny Run 2:50 (Ragovoy/Shuman)/ See See Baby 3:36 (King/Thomson)/ Leave Home Girl 3:32 (Randle)/Cottage For Sale 4:43 (Conley/Robison)/ Fried Chicken 4:01 (Thomas)/ Barnyard Blues 4:00 (Fulcher/Finnigan)/ Your Heartaches Are Over 3:43 (Klemperer)/ My Wife Can't Cook 3:06 (Russ)/ When Malindy Sings 3:54 (Fulcher/Dunbar)/ Chills And Fever 2:51 (Gray/Thompson)/ A Very Blue Day 3:43 (Leonard/Schell) / A Fool For You 3:50 (Charles)/ When The Music Changes 3:51 (Fulcher/Braunagel)

Personel:
Mike Finnigan – Vocals, piano, Hammond B-3/ Larry Fulcher – Vocals, bass/ Johnny Lee Schell – Vocals; guitar/ Tony Braunagel –Drums/ Joe Sublett -Tenor sax, baritone sax (Tracks 10,12), horn arrangements/ Darrell Leonard -- Trumpet, trombonium, penny whistle, horn arrangements
Guests: Denny Freeman – guitar, ( Tracks 4,6,9,12) wah-wah guitar (Track 3)/John Cleary – Piano (Tracks 2,4,6)/Larry Tuttle – Upright bass (Track 10)/ Julie Delgado – Background vocals (Track 10)/ Kevin Bell -- Bass background vocals (Track 10)

Can we call this a Blues CD ?
I think: yes, although is leans heavily over to all kinds of „old-style black music“ (... and that in the most conservative sense of that expression !), that means it „incorporates“ a more than healthy dose of „down-home“ Soul and a topping of Reggae -- not so much of this as to make an old Reggae-hater like me wanna object. Sometimes maybe even so soulful that it nearly touches the border to real „shlock“.
But this all done masterly by experienced virtuoso „workinghorses“ that obviously know what they are doing, not only by mastering their instruments, writing and arranging songs but also tastefully picking compositions by other musicians. Their picks got style, got a sense of humour – well' I think this CD got just the right „spirit“ for me.
Just in case you don't know their names you might know some of the names of their occasional employers e.g.
Taj Mahal or Bob Dylan and a lot of other. You aks about experience in backing up – they have by the scores, they spent so much time in studios or on the road they may well have lost count by themselves !
You bet that their playing is tight, laid-back, virtuoso and well arranged – but what sets them apart of some of their distinguished colleagues is the impact they ultimately have by „playing it right“.
The most intrigueing feat they can muster is the amount of vocal talent and capability that is present in their music. Rarely ever have I heard three first-class instrumentalists in one band on one CD putting down such
impressing vocals ! (Well BTW: Did I tell you that guest Denny Freeman is one of my favourite guitar players !? Even Bob D. seems to have taken notice of his merits there.) And : „variatio delectat“ as the Romans of old used to say. ( Variatios are delightful) No dull moments on this here CD. No shadow of somebody to step out of anymore if I can put it this way.
Enjoy !
Ahhh, yes – and the mixdown people, mastering people and producer also seem to have done a good job --
this recording sounds „fat, bad and like must-be-had“ (or so?!).
Well, one short remark on my obvious sympathy for Delta Grove stuff: I am definitely not gettin' paid for it,
but as in the past: Alligator, Black Top, Ruf, Crosscut all had their times when they went from good recordings to even better recordings one after another. Not that these labels have lost their impact ( I think with the exception of Black Top), but for my taste 2006/2007 seems to be the year of Delta Groove. I think further good CDs from this company by Lynwood Slim, Mitch Kashmar, Ana Popovic, The Mannish Boys alongside the bespoke Jason Ricci recordings state my case.
(Yes and I also think that the Taj Mahal afficionados from the other part of this part of the forum will surely be delighted too, -- although Taj himself is NOT present here.)

SigFire

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Sorry, -- no "Favourite Blues Record For December '07" , but ....

......I do have my „Blues Recording Of The Year“ for 2007.
It is, albeit by a very narrow margin: „World Full Of Blues“ by Duke Robillard.
(Recorded: Dec. 2006/Jan. 2007; Stony Plain/Dixiefrog DFGCD 8627)
Although due to a lot of various reasons I could not find a “Record Of The Month“ for December 2007, that year has been „good to my ears but heavy on my purse“.
This record had to contend with other wellmade recordings e.g. by Bernard Allison, „Monster“ Mike Welch, Omar Dykes/Jimmy Lee Vaughan, Jason Ricci, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, The Phantom Blues Band, -- to name only the better of the more blues-related stuff that I had the pleasure of listening to in 2007.
(And there have been some good Jazz, AOR or Pop releases that year as well.)
So why do I like Robillard's a tiny bit better than these ?
1.It's a „twoofer“ ! ;-) !
Well folks, --- if one good CD is a pleasure, a two-CD-package of the same quality surely doubles that.
(Sometimes I'm simply greedy)
2.It is, by design, a „world full of blues“ --- and it does live up to this name nearly to the full.
Nearly ??
Well – the kind of music one customarily may call „Country Blues“ or „Rock'n Roll“ or „Blues-Rock“ , -- that is one „parental“ part and two „babies“--, are clearly missing.
But first I think this would definitely extend the package to three pieces.
And second, not trying to be a hypocrite here, I furthermore think that this recording still satisfies my „encyclopedial needs“ for most parts.
3.It's simply great music from the first note to the last, played by great musicians.
Here we have assembled about 1 ¼ dozen of the leading blues-„figures“ from the east coast area around Boston, some of my all-time favourites among them. (M. Ballou, Gordon B. and Bruce B. !)
And all this is centered around one of the most gifted blues/jazz guitar-players that I know of , --- good composing/arranging abilities and fairly good vocals come with this „package“, too.
I don't think you can go wrong with this under such „circumstances“.
(O.K.: Robillard's vocal abilities have been a matter of discussion occasionally in the past, some people think that he'd been overdoing his „down-south approach“ from time to time. But this time he definitely handles the vocals with the right amount of passion and taste
-- no question.)
4.Because of the selection of the songs used -- see appendix B).
A variety of stylings in Blues and Jazz are represented here.
(This reminds me somewhat of Chris Rea's Opus Magnum „Blue Guitars“, although that one
is a bit more excessive „encyclopedially“ ;-) )
Grossly simplified: Some old, some new , some borrowed, some blue.
All Killer No Filler !?
A slight majority is given here to Robillards own stuff, the remainder being expertly
(what else ?!) picked songs by other artists --- sort of characteristical for the men, their style and/or their times.
All this „entwined“ in a „tight package.“
Nearly no song of the „too familiar“ kind. „Bright lights ...“ as one of the exceptions to that rule fortunately is done in a rather different, original way.
Two of Robillards own songs have already become landmarks in his own carreer, too, like „Look Out“ coming from his early times with „Roomfull of Blues“, and „Anything It Takes“ from the onset of his „solo“ recording career.
(Got „the man“ ?)
5.It's his second impressive recording in a row, following up to another „Twoofer“ „Blues Mood“ with one part dedicated to the great T-Bone Walker and another one with „old-timey“ accoustic blues.
This guy is taking „Blues“ seriously and it sounds like having fun with in the process !
To further nurture your interest in this outstanding CD-package I'm giving you the „essentials“ as follows:
A) Musicians involved:
Duke Robillard-- guitar, vocal on all tracks; saz track 4 disc 2
Mark Texeira –drums and percussion all tracks except track 10 disc 1
John Packer-- accoustic and electric bass all tracks except tracks 7,9 and 10 disc 1
Doug James – baritone, tenor sax tracks 1,3,6,7,8,9,11,12 disc 1; tracks 1,2,5,6,7,8,9,10,11 disc 2 clarinet and harmonica track 4 disc 2
Al Basile -- cornet track 1 disc 1
Marty Ballou – electric bass 7 and 9 disc 1
Bruce Bears – Hammond organ and/or piano/electric piano except tracks 9 and 10 disc 1; tracks 1,4,8,11 disc 2
„Sax“ Gordon Beadle – tenor sax track 1 1nd 3 disc 1; tracks 1 and 5 disc 2
Scott Aruda – trumpet tracks 1 and 3 disc 1; tracks 1 and 5 disc 2
Lonnie Gasperini – Hammond organ track 1, 8,11 disc 2
„Sugar“ Ray Norcia – harmonica tracks 4 and 5 disc 1; track 6 disc 2
Tim Taylor – harmonica track 2 disc 1
Paul Kolesnikow – guitar tracks 3,11,12 disc 1; tracks 3,8,10 disc 2
Fred Bates – guitar track 7 disc 2;
B) Songs played:
Jump The Blues For You/ Everything Is Broken (Bob Dylan)/Treat Me So Lowdown ( „Aaron“ T-Bone Walker)/ Slam Hammer (Johnny Young)/ You're Killin' Me Baby/ Slim Jenkins Joint (Booker T. Jones; Stephen Lee Cropper; Donald V. Dunn; Al Jackson Jr.)/ Sweet Thing/ You Won't Let Me Go (Buddy Johnson)/ Six Inch heels/ World Of Blues (Duke Robillard, Al Basile)/ Look Out/ Stoned (Wardell Gray) ---
Gonna Get You Told/ Monkey Arms/ Who Do You Love (Elias „Bo Diddley“ McDaniel)/ Low Side Of The Road (Tom Waits)/ Too Much Stuff (Eric Bibb)/ Blues Nightmare/ Bounce For Billy/ Bright Lights, Big City
(Jimmy Reed)/ Steppin' Out (Peter „Memphis Slim“ Chatman)/ Anything It Takes/ Stretchin' ----

Case proven ?!
.......then go out and buy it !
Also also please do go out and take every opportunity to listen to the man playing live.
Don't forget: Applause is an essential experience in every musician's life and most of them do live more or less on that (some of them reportedly do live merely on money,though ;-)))
---– and : Even Bluesmen don't live forever.
In short: Bostonians !!! Support your local Blues Legends !!!
Siggi K.
Poooh, there ARE moments which make me feel that English is NOT my mother-language. ;-) Sorry for the delay ....
Last, but not least:
All the Best in 2008 to all fellow forum-contributors/-authors/-moderators and guests.
All my apologizes to all musicians playing the „right“ music for not giving them a „honourable mention“ on occasions like this. Folks, I can't simply know all of you or all of your works.
But I'll do what I can .....

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Tahhhh-daaaahhhh, my favourite Blues-CD for February 2008

....O.K. --- a bit late as always, --pardon me .....
Now ----- this One first:
Q.: How many Banjos have been thrown into the Mississippi ?
A.: Not many enough !!!

This , -- ahhh well --- "Joke" nonwithstanding I'd sincerely recommend the following CD:

Otis Taylor --- Recapturing The Banjo TELARC CD 83667
1.Ran So Hard The Sun Went Down (Otis Taylor)
2.Prophet's Mission (Alvin „Youngblood“ Hart)
3.Absinthe (Otis Taylor)
4.Live Your Life (Otis Taylor)
5.Walk Right In (Gus Cannon)
6.Bow-Legged Charlie (Otis Taylor)
7.Hey Joe (Bill Roberts)
8.Little Liza Jane (Trad.)
9.Five Hundred Roses (Otis Taylor)
10.Les Oignons (Trad.)
11.Deep Blue Sea (Trad.)
12.Simple mind (Otis Taylor)
13.Ten Million Slaves (Otis Taylor)
14.The Way It Goes (Keb Mo/Lisa Linson)
Musicians:
Otis Taylor (Vocals, Banjo/ Electric Banjo, Percussion, Guitar; Mandolin, --not present at all on 5.)
Cassie Taylor (Bass, Backup-Vocals, Vocals on 10.)
Alvin „Youngblood“ Hart ( Banjo, Vocals, Lap Steel, Guitar, Backup-Vocals)
Corey Harris (Banjo, Vocals)
Keb Mo' (Banjo, Vocals, Guitar)
Don Vappie (Banjo, Vocals)
Guy Davis (Mandolin, Vocals, Harmonica)
Ron Miles (Cornet on 3. and 10.)
Keb Mo', Jr. (a.k.a. K2) (Drums)

On the Cover: Four serious-looking Gentlemen seem to try and hide the fact that they may have had some fun recording these tracks.
With musicians like Guy Davis, Corey Harris, Alvin „Youngblood“ Hart, Keb Mo' and Don Vappie (amongst others) involved you may bet that this is a „traditional blues“ affair. (A healthy percentage of the leading „blues-traditionalists“ from the States !) Well, --- apart from the use of electric bass and a little bit of electric guitar here and there, you could be right. A short essay on the history of the five-string banjo by one of the leading experts to that subject (Dick Weissman) instead of just the usual liner notes surely is the icing on the cake. (Thoughtfully a list of References with books and CDs is also included !)
Now we surely wouldn't have expected anything different from Professor Taylor, would't we ? ( Professor ?!He actually is one!).
So what do we have here ? An academic lecturing on afro-american history ? A boring banjo showcase ?
No way ! Like few guys onstage today Taylor's got a certain hypnotic quality in his musical presence.
And such is the case here, too. His latest efforts though may lack some of the bitterness (or should we call it a „special awareness“ of afro-american history ?) or „attack“ that his first recordings had. Some songs here still give you a slight idea of what his first recordings were more like.It seem sto me that he doesn't to need to be „hard“ on that subject anymore.(The „mellow light of late works“ ?)
One thing clearly shows, as you thumb through the pages of the CD's front cover: While he may not be exactly what one could call „the Godfather“ of the „Blues Neo Traditionalists“ (if we may see this kind of style in that light), he's rather more what I would call „the leader of the pack“ (or, if you will, „the primus inter pares“). But I should not forget to mention that this CD comes across more as a kind of a „group-effort, which shows in the fact that Mr. Taylor is not present on all of these recordings and lead vocals and lead instruments are shared variably throughout the songs. And another feature of this CD becomes clearer when listening for a while:
These recordings show that Tradition can be fun.
A well-balanced mix of Taylor's own songs, some songs by his cohorts and rounded-off with some „landmark“ historical songs nicely serving the purpose here, -- all this done/excercised/celebrated (or what you may call it) by modern masters of that contemporary styles.No „simple faithful reproduction“ here but inspirated performance. And authenticity not being forgotten „when necessary“.
Ahhh, well, ...... and I'm also not forgetting to mention here that Mr. Taylor's daughter Cassie is playing an impressive bass and her vocals are not too far behind that.
Yes ... and I had my fun listening to this all, --- it may not be Professor Taylor's best recording of all times,
(with at least half a dozen of „strong“ CDs already done by him, that would be asking too much !) but this CD sure is massively better i.m.h.o. than most CDs of all different kinds of music I had the opportunity to listen to during the last few weeks.
So can we call this a „wake-up call“ for a new traditional „Blues Revival“ ? ;-))
Really, -- I don't know.
But one thing is for sure: when it comes for all-round sympathy it „beat“ „B.B. & The Bluesshack's“ Euro-Blues effort „Unique Taste“, that „came in second“, although by a narrow margin. This other fine recording does live up to it's name on more than one occasion, so I also take this opportunity for a bow in the direction of Hildesheim/Germany : Well done boys !
Last but not least:
And into each life a little rain must fall, so to speak. As I noted previously, the expenses for CDs have been hard on my purse and they still are.( Some other conditions of my life have changed, too, like time and opportunity for doing this here, as you may have noted from my „not so regular“ presence with this thread during the last few months ....) And so, as I think that I should hear a certain number of (Blues- !) CDs every month (which ultimately means that I should buy them) before giving some kind of a „representative“ judgement, and the fact that I'm now faced with making a decision, this ultimately means I don't see fit to go on with this thread for the next (unforseeable) time.
As far as I am concerned: I'm sorry 'bout that.
.......and: thank you all for tolerating my obviously biased points of view here.

Siggi K.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.